Start by marking “Cha-Cha Chimps” as Want to Read:
Cha-Cha Chimps

Cha-Cha Chimps

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  34 reviews

Counting and dancing gohand in hand at Mambo Jamba's,

the place where hippos hokey-pokey and meerkats macarena

and ten little chimps do the

Cha -- Cha -- Cha

until Mama Chimps says,

"Time for bed!"

Published February 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Cha-Cha Chimps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cha-Cha Chimps

Ronda
This story with a beat is going to be a blast to read with my K-1 kids. A variation on the 10 little monkeys idea, the story has a countdown and repeating refrain, which makes this one perfect for "audience participation". I suspect this book will make for a rowdy and fun storytime. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

(Jan. 8) OK. I've now read this one with several of my K-1 classes. I figured out that the story seems to go better if I introduce the story asking if they remember the story of the 1...more
Kylie
Cha Cha Chimps is a story about 10 little chimps who sneak into Mambo Jamba's and dance the night away with other animals from the jungle. Everything is going great until Momma Chimp comes in to take the 10 home.

This book is full of great rhythm and can be read almost as a song. Its a great way to teach children rhythm and counting and keep their attention. I definitely plan to use this book in my classroom.

I would use this book with children as they're learning to count. I would do a read aloud...more
Savannah Wilson
I thought this book would be GREAT for children who are just learning numbers or just learning to count. It allowed interaction to come into play. The illustrations went along very well with the story. It also allows a visual of the numbers by showing how many monkeys are left after each page. I loved this book and thought it would be adorable for younger children.
Nielson
This is a darling counting book with catchy rhymes and vibrant illustrations. Ten little chimps head to Mambo Jamba's for a night of moving their feet while dancing to the beat. But uh-oh, here comes mama chimp...! Kids and adults alike will be tapping their toes to the cha-cha beat. Upbeat, fun, and energetic!!
Leigh
Cha-Cha Chimps by Julia Durango
A counting story that uses rhythm and rhyme to tell the story of 10 chimps that go out dancing. A fun read aloud with great pictures, you can get the kids to participate with dance steps or by repeating "oo-ee-oo" (who doesn't like making ape sounds?) while the chimps "cha-cha-cha."
Kelly
Illustrated by Eleanor Taylor. SUPER cute. The rhyming was great, and the "ee-ee-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah!" sequence was really fun for the kids. The backwards counting was appreciated as well. And the kids thought the ending was hilarious. I'll definitely be looking for more by this author.
Dolly
May 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun and rhythmic narrative along with cute illustrations make this a fun book to read at bedtime. The chimps are having a lot of fun dancing the night away, but now it's time for bed. Our girls thought this was a funny story. We've read this one a few times and we love it!
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He likes number books.

This book is a great book for any toddler/preschool kid who likes counting and monkeys or chimps -- you know, all toddlers/preschool kids.
Wendy
Just used this book in my first reading program of the year, and the kids loved it! The refrain is so catchy - ee ee, oo oo, ah ah ah, ten little chimps do the cha cha cha - it's a great way to encourage kids to participate in the reading.
Roben
I used this in story hour today and the kids really enjoyed it -- especially repeating "ee ee ooh ooh ah ah ah". We finished up with the hokey pokey. I know a book is well received when a parent comes up at the end and asks to check out the book!
Lynda Freas
Nov 22, 2008 Lynda Freas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Storytimes, family read-aloud
A rollicking romp through the jungle as the chimps sneak out at night to dance. Great fun for storytimes. The end of the story appeals to adult humor as Mama Chimp hires a babysitter and goes out to dance the rest of the night away.
Jen H.
Cute rhyming book about animals dancing and chimps doing the cha-cha. "ee-ee-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah. 10 little chimps do the cha-cha-cha." The book counts down from 10 until the chimps go home to get in bed.
Marisa
Jules was right, this is a good one. Good rhyme, good repeating text the kids can say with you while you read. Excellent storytime pick. I sort of wish it ended with the chimps leaving the dance, though.
Catherine
Probably good for Pre-k through 1st grade, esp. if the group is energetic, not shy about moving around. Teach them repeating ee-ee, ooh-ooh, etc. phrase before sharing rest of book.
Brandy
I love reading this for preschool storytime at work so I took it home to read with my two year old. He loved it and it was so much fun to have him do the monkey sounds with me.
Megan
Lots of different dances are mentioned as 10 chimps go boogie with other animals at a dance club. A catchy refrain makes this a good choice for reading to young children.
Jessica
Cha-Cha Chimps is a wonderful counting book full of witty text and hilarious pictures! I had many of my kindergartners in hysterics reading this book.
Erin
Fun little song book with neat pictures. Dylan asked for it every day before nap. Even if I (according to Brian) sang it off key and out of rhythm.
Lauren
Great if you have something to bang on and add music beats together!!! We did this in our music class at my preschool- so much fun!
Adrienne Konkel
I have been reading this to my 3 1/3 year old every night for last week and a half. Great.
Maricor
Great to read with K-3 graders. Fun teaching them the cha cha cha afterward. They loved it!
Andy Ramos
A fellow teacher recommended this book to me. The kids love it and get into the rhythm of it.
Erin
Our family loves this book. The rhythm, the dances, the monkeys! It's a fun read for all ages.
Christen
Counting and dancing chimps? Yes please!! Great rhythm, reading for my jazz storytime.
Angie
Fun read aloud! Incorporate phonological awareness skills and counting.
Sara
October 2012. H loved the pictures and she laughed at this story.
Leah
Bouncy rhyming text counting down the dancing monkeys from 10 to 1.
Rachel Lee
This book is paired with Go Go gorillas. Fun read aloud
Mirjam
fabulous for its simple rhythm
Kathrine Rogers
Counting Week
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Punk Farm on Tour
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Wiggle
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Rubia and the Three Osos
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek
203730
Julia writes books for kids of all ages in a small town by the Illinois River. Cha-Cha Chimps, her picture book for youngest readers, is a 2014 ILLINOIS READS title. Upcoming books include The Second Guard fantasy series (Disney Hyperion 2015) and her debut YA novel, The Leveller (HarperTeen 2015).
More about Julia Durango...
Under the Mambo Moon Go-Go Gorillas The Walls of Cartagena Dream Away Sea of the Dead