Start by marking “Winter Of The Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Winter Of The Wolf Moon

Steve Hamilton

Winter Of The Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,810 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Alex McKnight has a souvenir from his days as a cop - a bullet lodged too near his heart to be removed. When a young Native American woman comes to him for help, McKnight feels bound to protect her.
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published May 1st 2003 by Sound Library (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Of The Wolf Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Of The Wolf Moon

Mary Sue
This is the second book in the series and I have high hopes for those that follow. This one is as good or better than the first. Our hero, Alex McKnight experiences fifty shades of cold in the book. It opens at a hockey game that Alex, at age 48, was promised would be a non-checking game. The cold continues with the relentless falling of snow in the Upper Penninsula. Alex plows, and plows, and wades through drifts and crawls under buildings, visits an ice fisherman's shanty and makes an unbeliev ...more
Harry
Cautionary note: this review was written after reading the first novel in this series. Series reviews are fickled, unpredictable, and sometimes downright wrong if you base the entire series review on just the first puzzled bite. Maybe the cold weather outside's is making me grumpy, or I just don't wanna go all the way downtown to work, or maybe I just don't feel like pouring honey over my cereal. Whatever!

Not that this isn't a good read. I finished it in record time. Frowning for an acceptable
John Caviglia
Just discovered Hamilton, and inhaled his first two McKnights. They're both well written in their own way, but this is the one I liked more. As one who cut his hard-boiled-detective-fiction teeth on the likes of Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald, I must confess that at this stage in my life it has become a plus for me when detectives leave LA to lead their violent fictional lives elsewhere, and this one left Detroit for something next to utter wilderness. You may feel differently, yet I really ...more
Linda
Picked this up as part of a "Discover a new series" sale on Audible. I really enjoyed this story, set in the Upper Peninsula of the Mitten State. Based on the title, I expected more solemnity around the local Native Americans. In fact, there was easy and believable rapport between the main protagonist, a white guy, and the local modern tribe members. I loved the opening, when Alex is regretting letting his friend Vinnie talk him into subbing as goalie on the mostly Indian "30 and over" hockey te ...more
Norm
After reading "The Lock Artist" I found this book. I haven't read the first book in the series, but it didn't hurt at all.

The book takes place in the UP of Michigan, and even though it's 90 degrees here in Illinois this week, I was shivering. Really, this is a well told story, and the character, a former cop turned reluctant PI is a page turner. Or a button pusher if you're into the electronic readers.

I'm reading the third book in the series now, and one of these days I'll find the first one.

Ken Heard
Steve Hamilton's bad guys in his second novel to feature Alex McKnight are bad. But the winter weather of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is equally evil, if not worse. I've read a few of Hamilton's books and the location, the bitter cold, is a major character in what he's written. He portrays the elements of that climate well; it becomes a factor in this novel. You hear about readers getting "chills" when delving into scary stuff? You'll really get the chills when reading of McKnight's forays i ...more
Michael
After loving The Lock Artist, I wanted to give Hamilton's series a second change.

This is better than the first book in the series, but still not great. I hold out hope that it'll get better.

The main improvement is that there's a little more levity in this book. Lonnie comes back and adds some much welcome comic relief. McKnight still takes himself *way* too seriously, but it's improving.

There's also a nice thread left hanging for future installments. I'm sure I'll get to them eventually.
Cindy
Maybe it's because I live in Michigan, have been through Paradise and visited the Soo, but I count Steve Hamilton's books as among my favorites. They're not profound, no amazing revelations found within, just a good, simple murder mystery story with a smart aleck-y protagonist, Alex McKnight. Though it's a series, Hamilton reviews enough details of others that they can easily be read out of order, though perhaps starting with the very first, A Cold Day in Paradise, is not such a bad idea.
Amy
I'm a sucker for Michigan regional mysteries and the Alex McKnight series is no exception. The setting is the Upper Peninsulas in Michigan and the private eye is a former Detroit cop. Steve Hamilton's description of the UP and the residents is spot-on and I think would appeal to Michiganders and non alike.
This novel incorporates more of the Ojibwa Indians living in the UP and McKnight's friendship with one of them. It is fast-paced and a lively read.
Harry Roger Williams III
Tight writing and spare prose so characterize Hamilton’s work that my usual verbosity would be inappropriate. I really enjoyed this book and my admiration for both the writer and his characters, based on the first Alex McKnight novel, A Cold Day in Paradise, has grown. This is no James Bond superhero, but a man of flesh and blood – battered flesh and too much of his blood lost. The heroism is in cleaving to true values in the face of “bad actors” whose values are negative or nihilistic. Hamilton ...more
Judy
Always fun to read a story that takes place where I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The author does an amazing job of describing the cold, winter weather and the isolation that is a big part of living here. I have been to Paradise several times and always enjoy reading about the interesting characters there.
Shelly
I questioned the wisdom of reading a book set in the UP of Michigan during this miserable winter we're having in Indiana. We might not have 7 foot high snow banks along our roads, but there's still a lot of snow around here, a lot more than usual for us. But I think even if there hadn't been, the vivid descriptions of the UP would have made me feel a chill.
Alex McKnight gets sucked into a mystery just by agreeing to play goalie for an over-30 hockey league. In classic PI fashion, he is determin
Barry
Hamilton's books are entertaining and a great escape read. I expect to read the whole series. I was excited to see Hamilton has recently continued the series after giving Alex McKnight a rest.
Jon
The second Alex McKnight page-turner about life and mayhem in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I read the first one a few weeks ago and thought I knew (from its ending) what this one would be about. But I was wrong--a whole new set of problems emerges for the narrator-protagonist. This one, like the first, kept me interested and guessing from the start; but unlike the first time, this one's solution was so simple that I had a surprised Doh! moment when it was revealed. Either I was more than usu ...more
Jonathan
"Winter Of The Wolf Moon" was really good. I whipped through it in about 3 days - exactly what I needed to read. There was at least one plot point (where "the bag" was hidden) that I guessed well before Alex McKnight figured it out, but besides that, I was kept guessing pretty well.

In this 2nd book of the McKnight series, after Alex has an altercation on the hockey rink (he plays goalie!) with her boyfriend, Diane seeks him out for help escaping from his clutches. He stashes her in one of his ca
Holly Boyd
This is the 2nd book in the Alex McKnight series. I'm always looking for a good series with characters I like or at least find interesting enough that I want to know more about them. Alex McKnight is a former Detroit police officer that has to give up his job after his partner is killed on the job and he is wounded and ends up with a bullet that is lodged to close to his heart to be removed. The books are set in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan and so far have taken place in the dead of winter. P ...more
Lilocosa
The main character here is the setting--Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It was a great book to read on a hot summer day because, trust me, you'll be chilled all the way through from the author's descriptions of the weather and the landscape! If you don't live in the northern Midwest, this setting will probably seem as alien as the moon, but it is accurate down to the smallest detail.
I really enjoyed the "official" main character, Alex McNight, and his friends. Their personalities and conversations
Lenore
This is the second book of the Alex McKnight series. I wasn't all that thrilled with the first one 'A Cold Day In Paradise' but there was a certain something there that made me want to read the second one. This is a very quick read. I have to say this character is growing on me and I plan to pick up the third book. The later books are available in ebook format through the library as well.
LJ
WINTER OF THE WOLF MOON-G+
Hamilton, Steve-

Ex-cop and sometime P.I. Alex McKnight endures the bitter winter of Michigan's Upper Peninsula in his log cabin with warm fires and cold Molsons. When Dorothy Parrish, a young Ojibwa woman, asks him for shelter from her violent boyfriend, McKnight agrees. But after secreting her in one of his cabins, he finds her gone the next morning. McKnight suspects vicious, hockey-playing Lonnie Bruckman of abducting the woman. But his search for her brings on more
Pamela
A passable whodunit-thriller, but not nearly the explosively-great read as Hamilton's "A Cold Day in Paradise." Somewhere between debut novel and this sequel Alex McKnight seemingly lost considerable verve and wit. Disappointingly, he also came across as a bit wimpy-minded, riding on the slow train of incompetence.

The plot and story-thread however was very good - Tight, plausible, fast-paced and engaging. The downside, a few inconsistencies with broken ribs and with crime scene investigation te
Bernie Charbonneau
Alex McKnight is turning out to be one of those can't miss book characters. This is the second book in a continuing series that involves this former Detroit area cop. In a previous review by another reader it was mentioned that he started this book and had no problem following the storyline of the main character. This may be true, but do yourself a favor and read the first novel, as there are a lot of references to the back story, it will definitely fill in his background.
This plot was very goo
Betty
A good read is a good read. What makes this author even more interesting to read is when he writes about Michigan, I find a little connection. I have been to a few of these places, heard of many more of them. I enjoy reading this author and will read more of his books.
Andrew
Points for an interesting setting. (Michigan's U.P.) Points for an interesting character/relationship. (Leon the wanna be private eye slash snowmobile salesman) Points for a solid story line. Deduct a couple for the all-too-common implausibility factor of lack of consequences surrounding our hero's involvement in multiple crimes, and you have a solid three-star "worth reading" mystery.

Perhaps it's the curse of the creator of something really good for that good thing to be the basis for all futur
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Laura Shannon
I'm really loving this series. This is a very well-paced, well-crafted mystery. The lead character is very likable and there's a great mix of humor and suspense. I especially love Leon. I really hope he makes an appearance in the next book.
Keri
Alex McKnight is just sitting at his usual watering hole minding his own business with his good freind Vinnie comes up as asked him to fill in for his over thirty hockey team. They need a goalie for one night. Alex finally agrees and ends up with alot of aches and pains. He also is approached by a woman that was with the opposing team from that night. Only she is in trouble and asking for Alex's help. He brings her to one of his cabins, but by morning she is gone with no clues as to who as her. ...more
Lori
I didn't like it quite as well as his first, but enough to finish the book and to continue the series. I'm still interested in what happens to Alex McKnight.
Carolyn J. Rose
Plenty of snow and ice make this a good read for a hot day. Alex thrashes around some, but then he puts it all together.
Vickie
Who knew that crime fiction based in Michigan's Upper Peninsula would be compelling?
Anie
The first book was okay. This one was hard to believe, and not very interesting
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16)
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry Series #2)
  • Starvation Lake
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
LET IT BURN, the next Alex McKnight novel, coming Summer 2013
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Blood is the Sky (Alex McKnight, #5) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)

“Leon, no offense, but you don't exactly look like a hockey player."

"I told 'em I was a goalie. That's where they put the guy who can't skate, right? Just like in baseball when they put the worst player at catcher.”
5 likes
“Once you freeze all the way through to your soul, you will never feel warm again.” 4 likes