Start by marking “Chasing Darkness” as Want to Read:
Chasing Darkness

Chasing Darkness

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The most dangerous place to hide is in the dark... A tough special-agent with the Department of Justice, and a dedicated single mother to her orphaned nephews, Samantha Chase is unbreakable. Until two women, both from the shadows of Sam's past, are discovered strangled. For Sam, the most unnerving detail is the eucalyptus branch tucked behind the victims' ears--the signatu ...more
ebook
Published April 1st 2012 by Epublishing Works! (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Darkness

Diana Hockley

Chasing Darkness is the first of this author's books and as of early last night - when I finished this one - I have become a dedicated fan!
Child abuse is appalling and the subject of this plot. I won't go into the synopsis as that has been done by many reviewers, but look at the effect this novel had on me.

Danielle Girard lured me into the story with the first page. I read it while waiting in the car for my husband to run errands in town and went to a meeting. I read it leaning against walls in
Ellen
California Dept of Justice Special Agent Samantha Chase balances raising her two nephews with protecting abused children until an old case when she was a homicide detective re-surfaces and she is called in to consult. The new murders should be copycat, save the one piece of evidence that was withheld is part of the new crimes and the person convicted for the first spree was executed.She is paired up with a man who has had romantic interests but Sam seems to not to want to go beyond the friendshi ...more
Bookworm LLC
In this taut psychological thriller, Girard (Ruthless Game) portrays the effects of child abuse with clarity and honesty, demonstrating how some victims turn into victimizers while others choose to guard the innocent. Samantha Chase, a special agent for the Department of Justice and a former homicide detective, spends her time apprehending child abusers and caring for her orphaned twin nephews. At all times she represses her own traumatic childhood experiences and maintains an aloof distance fro ...more
Delta
Jun 10, 2013 Delta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of police procedurals/mysteries
Recommended to Delta by: BookGorilla

Menaced by a killer…

When someone starts picking off child abusers previously arrested by Department of Justice Agent Samantha (Sam) Chase, he uses the signature method (not known to the public) of an already-executed serial killer—also one of Sam’s cases. Has her social isolation made her the perfect victim to frame? Is it the killer who has been threatening her anonymously? As danger closes in, will she allow someone to help before it is too late?

Years earlier, Sam fled the South and a trouble

Nancy
The acclaimed author of Ruthless Game and Savage Art returns with a chilling new novel about a female agent, a serial killer, and the secret past that links them.

Sam, a cop who works for the Dept of Justice in child abuse, is made guardian of her twin nephews when her sister and her brother-in-law die. Nick, who works for the sheriff's dept is crazy about Sam. The boys are 16. Sam is is divorced and had been sexually abused by her father. Perpetrators of child abuse from some of Sam's previous c
Mary Ann
This story gives validation to "visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me" from Exodus 20. Sad to see so many innocent young lives destroyed by the sins of their parents, whether physical or neglect. The characters were very believable and the twists and turns kept the reader engaged until the last word.
Eliza
It's weird for me to read books that were writen yo be released in 2001. The bulk of the book takes place in June/July of 2001. It was an okay book, had an interesting plot but the killer kinda came out of left field. It's like they had an idea and realized they needed someone to actually be the killer.
Jeanne
Good page turner. I did not buy into the identity of the serial killer, though, so that was a disappointment. Also, Sam Chase is supposed to be an experienced detective and yet she misses so many obvious clues. I guess this is what is supposed to propel the story, but it just seems lazy.
Patricia
Kept my interest as I tried to determine who the killer was. Would not recommend to anyone who has trouble reading about the dark side of people. This story was about abuse of various kinds. Although we'll written I do not plan to read any other books by this author as they appear to be even darker than this one.
Lillie
There were several intertwined stories here--the mystery Sam and Nick were trying to solve, their romance, the family past that made Sam so passionate about bring child abusers to justice, and the psychological effects of abuse and violence. The ending was a surprise, but it made sense.
Brenda Margriet
J. Ewbank
Believe this was my first book written by Danielle Girard. It is always with anticipation that one reads an author for the first time because you do not know what to expect.

When I finished this book I wrote "Excellent" on the cover, which is where I make comments on most of the books I read to keep them distinguished from the books I have not read.

This is a typical mystery, thriller in which the main character gets into a lot of trouble that they do not see coming and then have to work their way
Jerilyn
That was one I didn't see coming...great plot twist....totally had me all the way up to the end. Then, all the pieces clicked together and surprised me. This was a Barnes & Noble Free Friday give away book and it was most excellent, but not only because it was free!
D.A. Childers
When all was said and done, I wasn't too impressed with this book. It was far more of a romance and far less of a thriller than I expected. And the plot was actually kind of weak and transparent in a lot of ways. Considering Sam's history and training, a lot of things should have been obvious to her that weren't. I was able to figure out the story with the kids as well as who the killer was long before it was revealed in the book - and Sam should have been able to also.

Once it became clear to me
Gita Sturtevant
Chasing darkness. Vg

Chasing darkness is scary well thought thru great plot entertaining just a great book does not need additional .material added can stand on its own. Good read
Regina
Awesome read

heart wrencking., loved it. it was suspenseful, intriguing.. made me laugh and cry.. you won't be able to put this book down once you start reading it..
Andrea
not my favorite book. It went like this, drinking, molesting, drinking, murder , drinking, molesting, murder. F-d up if you ask me, a little too much detail in the molesting bits.
Mary
Excellent story of abuse and murder with the proverbial twist at the end as to who the killer is. Gripping novel, the first I've read by this author.
Lori Parker
This book really did keep me interested, although I guessed the killer early on. Still a very good read not disappointed at all!
David
Sam Chase was sexually abused by her father. All in her family suffered. In this story, she is a professional detective who is obsessed with bringing abusers to justice. Set in the San Francisco Bay area, the story is much like others we've read about corruption in social justice and social service, and heroes going it alone to make their case. It was almost too painfully dark to read, but the author passes the test for creative writing. As a psychological thriller I had to keep reading to the e ...more
Moraima
this was pretty good , actually more like 3.5 stars but kinda sad
Annalinda Ragazzo
A fast paced, fun read. Good plot twist.
Ruby
excellent thriller with a totally unexpected twist at the end.
Jeanie Jackson
I really liked this book until the "bad guy" was revealed, then I had to think about it. I was greatly impressed with the plotting and characters, and I believe the twist took the book beyond the norm, but I am still thinking. I am not sure "like" is the best way to describe how I feel about the book now. I have been reading books that balance suspense and pain with humor rather than solid suspense lately and this one touched me more than I expected. Well written, definitely. I will read more bo ...more
Lynda Kelly
This was very good indeed. A serial killer is on the loose only he was executed recently so this could be a massive problem for those that put him away including Sam Chase and she has enough going on in her life already. I really liked her and she certainly had her issues and problems but still did a great job along with raising her nephews.
I marked it down one star since there were a lot of apostrophes missing which was quite annoying. I will give other books by her a look, though.
Jacque Glass
Fast paced and smartly written.
Danni
Free nook book. Good book. Multiple plots. Easy to read. Zipped thru it.
Paula Sealey
I grabbed this for just 49p from iBooks, thinking anything was worth a go at that price. I really didn't expect to discover such a fantastic thriller that kept me gripped throughout!

With a deep psychological backstory, finely crafted characters and an amazing twist towards the end, this was a great read.

Derek and that limp 1 5 Jun 15, 2013 03:05PM
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Sleep Tight
  • By Design
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Black Creek Burning (Black Creek, #1)
  • All He Saw Was The Girl
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Hybrid
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Saving Hope (Men of the Texas Rangers #1)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • The Seduction of Emily
Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1) Ruthless Game Savage Art Cold Silence One Clean Shot (The Rookie Club #2)