Start by marking “Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want” as Want to Read:
Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want

Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Bestselling author and top authority on career development shows how managers and supervisors can support employees' career development - and thereby increase employee engagement, satisfaction, job-fit, passion, and work contribution - by having frequent short conversations with employees about their career options, needs, and passions.
Published September 1st 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go

Joi Reece
Yet another great read. Every HR specialist and supervisor/manager/executive needs to know these simple steps that can be taken to enable their employees to develop a career path and become more fully engaged. This book can also serve as the foundation for understanding the organizational talent pipeline.

“Career development is as important as it’s ever been (maybe more). In today’s business environment, talent is the major differentiator. And developing that talent is one of the most significan
Drew Weatherton
The company I work for sent this to everyone in the firm who is a career manager. It's a quick read (110 pages with lots of diagrams) but it has very little fluff. It drills right down to the what is important in career development and recommends ongoing conversations where the manager is mostly in listen mode. Some of the recent changes in our company were clearly if not inspired by at least are in alignment with this book. I think it's a worthwhile read though I didn't find much here that surp ...more
Joseph Iliff
In Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go, Beverly and Julie empower managers to promote the growth of their employees by demystifying the ideas of career development. Rather than leaving career development to just Human Resources and annual reviews, the authors use a conversational method, breaking up career development into lots of small manageable tasks, and broadening the scope from just being promoted up the job ladder. With companies and organizations being flatter than ever, employees and manage ...more
Teena in Toronto
I received a copy of this book at no charge in exchange for my honest review.

As an employee, I found it an interesting read.

If managers ignore career development, they have three threats:

* Employees leave because they believe their careers aren't getting the attention they deserve.
* Others decide the freelance life suits them better and get a variety of projects that becomes a career.
* There are employees who stay but withdraw their engagement, motivation and enthusiasm.

According to the authors,
John E. Smith
I am staring at this little book with bright green and yellow lettering on a black background and wondering ...

Why was this book so helpful to me?

Well, it helped me by reinforcing my beliefs about employee development and gave me some new perspectives. As someone has undoubtedly said, a leader is nothing without followers. In the modern workplace, we are slowly realizing the value of developing our colleagues, rather than treat them as replaceable "plug-in" parts of the organization. The increas
Noma Bruton
After eliminating ratings from my company's performance management process, we used this book during training sessions with managers. It's a great source to help managers start and hold conversations with employees about their development.
Lisa Brown
Average book

Fairly basic and not as much depth as I was expecting. I didn't find very many aha moments while reading this, but I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. Just average.
Denise Marenda
Very applicable to my position as an HRM. Able to share the points of the book with my Assistant Managers who can have more impactful conversations with their associates.
Jeff Goldenberg
I received this book as part of a package of books from a management seminar my employer provided. It is short, but surprisingly useful. Very concise and to the point, which is thoroughly unexpected from any Human Resource-type author.

The message of the book is to guide your employees to find ways to make themselves happy with their work. It opines that keeping people happy with their work is truly the only way to retain employees in today's working world. It applies equally well to managers (th
Nathan
Meh

Fierce conversations was more challenging, more useful and more authentic. Will look for something else. Your mileage may vary. OK
Mairead
My top strength finder result is developer, so this really resonated with how I approach managing, or really just working with people. Light but full of ideas and content.
Carrie
Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go has a complete lack of technical jargon, and uses a down-to-earth, practical tone throughout the book. Kaye and Giulioni bring the theory of leadership into the realistic realm of day-to-day work, dealing with the usual time constraints and an understanding that projects still have deadlines, but point out that employees still need to grow.

I've read books on leadership before, but this was the first one that I felt was truly geared for the needs of the average Jo
April
I liked the concepts presented in this book. It gave a lot of action oriented items and some great career development conversation questions!
Scott Fox
Read this for a project at work. Pretty good read for its purpose.
Briana Novak
Quick an easy read about keeping your employees engaged!
Joyce Yanney
Book with helpful tips, guidelines, and more to help career building. Studies done that show how to improve and advance a persons career plans. By following a plan of frequent short talks with employees pointing out their strengths, interest, and weakness. Tell them where industry or company is headed. Help them design their own career plans. All will help keep employees happy, wanting to stay with the place of business where they are working, growing and moving up with the career they have chos ...more
Brett Noneman
A pretty decent read... Full of good suggestions for getting in touch with your team members' goals, passions, and strengths and finding ways to help them stay engaged and committed to their careers without killing yourself with paperwork to "check the box."
Becky Robinson
Once you've read this book, keep it handy. It provides helpful ideas that you can use, in the moment, to have powerful conversations with team members to help them grow in their skills, perspectives, and career.
Rick Yvanovich
A worthwhile quick read. Offers some really useful different perspectives to approach development that will of course result in better retention.
Allison
This book was a bit deceiving in how simply it all reads, but there's really a lot of meat there. I have a lot of pages dog eared to refer back to over the coming months. Lots of interesting insights - hope it helps!
Carly Dillon hodges
Carly Dillon hodges marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Breezy
Breezy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Urban
Urban is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
  • How to Say Anything to Anyone: A Guide to Building Business Relationships That Really Work
  • Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
  • Leadership and the Art of Struggle: How Great Leaders Grow Through Challenge and Adversity
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Winning from Within: How to Create Lasting Change in Your Leadership and Your Life
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions
  • Anchored in Light: Understanding and Overcoming the Five Deadliest Threats to Your Faith
  • Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World
  • The Age of the Customer: Prepare for the Moment of Relevance
  • How to Play Guitar: Everything You Need to Know to Play the Guitar
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
Founder and Chairwoman of Career Systems International, Dr. Beverly Kaye is an international bestselling author and a leading authority in the world of modern workplace performance. She has dedicated her life’s work to helping individuals and organizations grow in a workplace that fosters greater commitment, fulfillment, and humanity.

Beverly Kaye and the CSI team provide cutting-edge and award-win
More about Beverly Kaye...
Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay Hello Stay Interviews, Goodbye Talent Loss: A Manager's Playbook Up Is Not The Only Way: A Guide to Developing Workforce Talent Kalau Belum Dipecat Jangan Keluar dari Pekerjaan Anda! Ayudalos A Crecer O Miralos Irse: Las Conversaciones Que los Mejores Empleados Quieren Tener

“Today, the lines between mentoring and networking are blurring. Welcome to the world of mentworking.” 9 likes
“Onward and upward has been replaced by forward and toward.” 2 likes