Start by marking “Hiroshima Dreams” as Want to Read:
Hiroshima Dreams

Hiroshima Dreams

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Lin can't explain the knowledge she has of the future, of what people will say or what will happen. It's a gift she shares with Obaasan, her grandmother, who has recently come from Japan to live with Lin's family. But seeing the future is more than knowing whether or not a boy will call. What is Lin to make of the visions she has of a day long ago, when the atomic bomb was ...more
Published October 4th 2007 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Hiroshima Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiroshima Dreams

Katie
Kelly Easton tells the story of a girl growing up Japanese/Irish American in Providence, RI. This is a beautifully written coming of age story. The reader gets to grow up with Lin as she turns from a introverted 1st grader, into a strong and caring 16-year-old. With the help of her grandmother, mother, father, and big-sister Sally, Lin finds herself.
Lin's premenitions kept me on the edge of my seat. Lin's story was relatable and made me feel like I was growing up with her. Her relationship with
C.j.
From an uninspiring cover blurb, to a surprising read -- or that is, it went from sounding maudlin and mudkip to being well-paced, keenly observed, and both historically and emotionally engaging. Were I to teach a secondary school English class, might very well toss this at them. Er, not because I like hitting students with books. Because in all honesty, I believe it would be a bridge to understanding.
84-The_enlightment_of_Doctor_Grace_part5_Jesus
Hiroshima Dreams by Kelly Easton is about a girl named Lin. When Lin's grandmother came over from Japan she gave her a lotus seed and told her she had the gift. Lin could tell who was calling or see what would happen to people. Lin is the opposite of her sister Sally. While Sally is outgoing and thinks their grandmother is boring, Lin sticks to her and enjoys the koans she tells her. One day Lin finds a box labeled HIROSHIMA in her grandmother's closet. When Lin gets older she explains how she s ...more
Aaron

Easton is a local writer for older children and teens who has really made a name for herself in young adult literature, and we here in the local library community are thrilled.

The protagonist is Lin, who starts off as a five year old girl of mixed heritage (her mother was born in Japan, and her father is proudly Irish American). She has an older sister Sally, who is quite the popular kid. The family lives in Rhode Island, which is honored by a number of local references that are dead on. Lin is
Chia Lee
This is a really exticiting book because it's really boring in the begginning but you just can't stop reading it at all, even if it's really boring it starts to get more and more interesting. i'd recommend this to anyone because this teaches you a lot of things about life. This was written for kids and adult any age to read.I don't think this book is similar to any other books but that's the good about it, if you don't understand read it and then you'd understand. I like how this girl was able t ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by coollibrarianchick for TeensReadToo.com

I just finished HIROSHIMA DREAMS by Kelly Easton and I want everybody to know what a good book it was. It's a story of growing up. The story is told beautifully, rich imagery woven throughout the pages. It was very easy to picture this family going through the motions of daily life.

The book starts off when the grandmother, Obaachan, arrives from Japan when Lin is in kindergarten. The first time they meet, Ochaaban tells a koan. If you are like
Kiersten
My dislike for this book may have stemmed in part from the fact that I am half-Japanese, and yet I did not feel that I could relate to anything in this book. I felt that Ms. Easton was trying to write about a person, an experience, and a subject that she didn't understand and couldn't empathize with. Instead of feeling authentic, I felt that Lin (which, by the way, is a Chinese name, not a Japanese name), was a combination of all of the stereotypes out there about Japanese and half-Japanese peop ...more
Andrew Y
It has so many great quotes:
"Mom has given me a doll that goes pee. The doll has blond curly hair, and big bule eyes that close when you lay her down. That doll gives me nightmares. I dream she comes to life and chases me. I dream she pees so much she makes a flood that rises as high as the ceiling."
"One of Mom's favorite phrases is 'time flies.' When I first heard the saying, I thought time was a fly, a small insect landing on a wall, with nowhere in particular to go"
"'...Attachment means havin
Meredith
Dec 04, 2007 Meredith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book. The story follows a girl named Lin--half Japanese, half American--whose fully Japanese grandmother comes to live with them when she is little. Intelligent, painfully shy, and friendless, Lin develops a special relationship with her grandmother, whose Buddhist wisdom and philosophies help to shape her into a strong, talented young woman. Lin and her grandmother also share the talent of second sight--knowing what someone will say before they do, predicting accidents, an ...more
Wolf
I'll admit it: the reason why I like this book so much is probably because I relate to Lin, the main character. At least, in real life I do. I'm not Japanese or Asian, or anything but mixed European given the title of white American. That's not my point. My point is that I also play the cello and rarely speak. I experience the same shyness and reactions to being extremely quiet that Lin does, and for me, that made the book feel incredibly realistic. Now, about the actual book: it moves effortles ...more
Cathy
Mar 07, 2008 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls who like character driven books and quiet reads
This was a most unusual book because it is told in first person but the narrator is in kindergarten when it begins. AT the opening of the book, Lin's grandmother has just arrived from Japan to live with Lin and her family which also includes Sally, her big sister. While Lin is shy, studious and reserved, Sally is boisterous, opposite in most ways, but protective of Lin. Lin has a gift, she has the gift of vision and can often tell what is going to happen in advance. Lin connects very strongly to ...more
Faith Bradham
3 1/2
Eesh, this is the 3rd book today that I've given 3 1/2 stars to ... but that is what they all merit! O well.
I am very unsure what shelves to put this one under ... there are elements of mysticism, so do I put it under fantasy? And what about all of the stuff you learn about Japan? Do I put it under historical-fiction then? So I'm just not putting it on any shelves. Poor lonely. ;)
I found this one mesmerizing and un-stilted, which is always a good thing. Kelly Easton writes about second sigh
Mitchelle
It was a good book, but there is no problem to encounter or face. The book simply revolves around her growing up and turning into a women. There is no satisfaction one usually gets after reading a fantastic book. The book is completely unrealistic at the first part. No five year old would be able to have such mature thinking. It does not give off a feeling of innocence a young girl should have.
WCPL Teens
Spanning 10 years, this novel tells the story of Lin, growing up at the turn of the millennium. Lin is half Irish and half Japanese. When her Japanese grandmother comes to stay with them, they form a special bond, since they both share the gift of precognition. Struggling with her shyness, Lin slowly comes to accept herself and find her purpose, even after her grandmother's death.
Laurel
Enjoyable tween novel, very quick read. However, this book read more as an outline glossing over ideas for several good novels rather than being a satisfying whole unto itself. Perhaps the minimalist style was intentional for the target audience or the subject (Japanese-American girl coming of age) but it left me wanting more detail and depth.
Karin
3 sections of this book, set in 1996, 2000, and 2007, follow the growth/maturation of japanese-irish-american lin and the lessons she learns from her japanese grandmother who survived the bombing of hiroshima.
Bronwyn
A lovely coming of age story as Lin grows up and moves from being a very shy uncertain young child to a thoughtful, caring young adult. Very easy reading with a lovely prose that fitted the story perfectly.
Charlie Beck
Lin is a quiet girl who lives in a American. When her Japanese grandmother comes to live with her family, she begins to understand more about herself while also learning about her new gift.
Isabel
Book would be good if the references to Japanese culture weren't so horribly wrong. 'Lin' isn't a Japanese name... it's not even how you would romanize such a name.
Mrs. Rosie
Loved this book as it told of the relationships a Japanese Grandmother made after she moved to the United States to be cared for my her daughter and family.
Chelsea
while the charecters where intoxicating the conclusion of the book left many thingsto be awnserd including what was the conflict?
Jessica
So much soul and spirit was put into this book. Even though it was short, it still was a goodread ;D
Rhiannon
Great story. It actually made me cry, but the story was great, the characters were great. I loved it!
Ramona
This book was so tragic, joyful, adorable, and amazing that I'm not sure how to put it into words!
Nikki
Good story. Found in the young adult but seemed like it was for even younger. Easy and light read.
Melinda
also a great read and nominated for next year's GA book awards.
Amanda
A nice coming of age novel perfect for a young tween.
Karen
Interesting story of a grandmother/grandchild relationship
Mikah
I really did like this book.
Eas Ya
Eas Ya marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nothing But the Truth (and a few white lies)
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • The Year of the Baby
  • The Education of Mary: A Little Miss of Color, 1832
  • Bells of Nagasaki (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Dogtag Summer
  • Border Crossing
  • What the Moon Saw
  • Life Exposed: Biological Citizens after Chernobyl
  • The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb
  • A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai: Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb
  • Hidden Roots
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Smoke and Mirrors : An Experience of China
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Four: Out of the Ashes
  • The Gift of Good Land: Further Essays Cultural and Agricultural
The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes The Life History of a Star Aftershock To Be Mona White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel