Start by marking “White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel” as Want to Read:
White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel

White Magic: Spells to Hold You, A Novel

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Need to attract a boy? Cure a fear? Let go of the past?

Yvonne has the spell for you.

After Chrissie's dad dies, her mom moves them to California to remarry. Chrissie's lonely new life is transformed when the amazing Yvonne jumps out of her apartment door and pulls Chrissie inside to join Yvonne and Karen in their coven of "good witches." Yvonne is part gypsy, and somehow wi
Published April 2nd 2009 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published August 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about White Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Magic

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
White Magic helped me get back into reading after going through a rough few months of not reading. It was a nice fun light read, but that's all it had going for it.

The book itself had NO plot at all. The story was very flat and all over the place at times. I never found myself getting attached to any of the characters. They were all pretty uninteresting and unlikable.
Luna
This book wasa too simplistic, even for a young adult book. The idea was good, but the author could have gone farther and done better. Good enough for me to finish, not good enough to have me looking for more by this author.
Cute book, but a little too short! It just skimmed the surface of the characters when I would have liked to read into their personalities in a little more detail. The end left many questions unanswered...
Megan
As my third bingo book, I read White Magic: Spells to Hold You . This book is about three girls who are each going through struggles in their lives. Chrissie is a girl who has just moved from Vermont to L.A. after her father had died. To make matters more complicated, Chrissie’s mom has just become engaged to a new man who tries to win Chrissie’s love with material items. Soon she meets two new girls, Yvonne and Karen, who are in a witch coven. These two girls only use their “powers” for good an ...more
Lucy
May 20, 2008 Lucy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Chrissie loved Vermont. She loved everything about it. The quiet woods, her goat Wilbur, her best friend Jason, and the way she and her father bonded over everything. After her father dies, her mother moves them to California, which Chrissie hates exactly as much as she loved Vermont—which is to say, a lot. There is absolutely nothing at all about California that she likes—until she meets Yvonne and Karen.

Yvonne is half Gypsy, half German, and all witch. She believes in the power of spells, the
YoSafBridg
This is according to Yvonne, descended from Gypsies, and one of a coven of three white witches in Kelly Easton’s new young adult novel White Magic: spells to hold you, a book i picked up on a whim.

Some of Yvonne’s other rules:

You are not allowed to use drugs. Drugs are like running a race on broken legs and not knowing it.

You are not allowed to smoke, because (Yvonne) can’t stand the smell of cigarettes. (She) made her dad quit too. It was very hard on him.

Alcohol is okay, but only one glass of
Jillian
There are some harsh reviews of this title. While the story may meander, it avoids the typical formula of many YA novels. It is an enjoyable short book that could have been great with a little more depth given to it's memorable characters.
Lexy
I really like this book, very interesting and funny in a way. I liked how three witches all became friends just like that when Chrissie just moved to Los Angeles. The spells Chrissie cast might have brought her some bad carma, but it was funny at what she did to other kids at her new school. I would recomend this to ages 12 and up because there is difficult language and some really bad and innapropriate words... But overall loved it and did this book for an oral book report came out good but i c ...more
Jessie Clements
Okay.... but it has more potential to be abetter story. I stopped at about the same time I expected it to get interesting.
Elsie
PLEASE do not read this book.
It was horrible, no plot at all, no climax whatsoever. The characters in the book were incredibly dull and hardly showed any signs of maturity by the end of the book. I wished that the author could have further explored these characters and perhaps written in a clearer direction as it had too many little problems happening at the same time. It was a good idea and everything, but could have been executed much better.
Annie
Oct 25, 2008 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book follows the lives of 3 students.
One of the students has just moved into LA and has to be away from her friends. Another one has been in love many times but the person that she has just fell for is in love with her best friend while she is always been called a slut. While the last friend who organized this coven has been a descent of a gyspy has always been trying to find her mom and wants to know who her mom really is.
Brenna Call
I thought this book was just OK. I did like that it was a realistic book about witchcraft although I felt the spells and such in the book were hokey and immature. As a Wiccan I felt it made Wicca look like a game and that the book didn't take it seriously enough. All of the characters in the book seemed to have Mommy issues too, whatever point was being made wasn't strong enough. Like I said, it was just OK....
Sharon
What really enchanged me was the cover. Great blend of colors, but of course I don't mean to be like that...

It was kind of a short novel, but very insightful. There seemed to be a lot of meaning between the words.

I like the way the author changed the perspectives, that is indeed a hard thing to do.
Karin
Chrissie moves from VT to CA and has a hard time adjusting. Then she meets and becomes friends with two other girls who claim to be white witches. Alternates perspectives between 3 girl characters, with a slow pace and an interesting combination of realism and magic.
Sydney Harris
This book was okay. Just that. It wasn't spectacular. And nothing to remember.
I never read some of a book and decide "Hey, I don't like it. I'll stop now."
I always read a book until the end. I wait to see if it gets better.
This book just stayed the same - flat line.
Katherine Harvey
I did like this one very much because it didn't always make sense to me. I also didn't like the ending at all.
Kelsie C.
on page 15 this book is all about magic and things you can do with things you mix up into one thing.
The Library Lady
Too much going on in here--too many problems. The "magic" element is really no more than a distraction.
Sarah Leombruno
This book was half bad, half good. The story was alright, but I didn't really enjoy it that much.
eXtreme
I enjoyed the different POVs, but sadly find the ending somewhat lacking.
Lydia
Plotless. Pointless.
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
Mckayla Devine
Mckayla Devine is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Nikkibatroff
Nikkibatroff marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes The Life History of a Star Aftershock Hiroshima Dreams To Be Mona