My Life as a Boy: A Woman's Story

My Life as a Boy: A Woman's Story

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  4 reviews
By turns provocative and startlingly revealing, MY LIFE AS A BOY is the story of a woman trying to figure out what love is, trying to understand what happens between desire and the determination to possess the object of that desire, and discovering what it's like to go after what you want. "Chernin writes with the grace of a poet and the insight of a psychotherapist, bring...more
Published January 5th 1997 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill (first published 1997)

Superstition Review
Boys, in a patriarchal society like the Western world, are conditioned to act a certain way in certain situations. As are girls, as are men, as are women. What happens when a person molts their gender to become something new?

With this concept in mind, we are introduced to Kim Chernin, a born woman who is becoming a born-again boy. To the chagrin of her longtime husband Max, Kim uses her budding relationship with Hadamar, a stunning woman, to facilitate her metamorphosis.

Women here seem to be dam...more
Barnacle
I read this book more than once, and will probably read it again one day. It is one of those books that depending on where you are at in your life is going to have an effect on how the reading goes. I related alot of my gender issues to the main character in this book, even though she was a middle aged woman, married/divorcing with kids at college.
Clivemichael Justice
She writes well, provocative and anticipatory, how she reaches out without actually tasting the fruit testing her limits in an intense ride of self discovery. Slow going in places as she waxes eloquent on the indecisive mind. Loved the well illustrated family dynamics. An excellent slice of life.
Ren
I got so caught up in Kim Chernin's lush prose that I didn't realize I was halfway through the book--and absolutely NOTHING happened. In no way do I wish to invalidate her experience, but it wasn't as thrilling and revelatory a ride for me.
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Zoe Um
Zoe Um marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jade Lougee
Jade Lougee marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Patrick D
Patrick D marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
J. Matsen
J. Matsen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
E
E marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Andrea
Andrea added it
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kim Chernin is a free-lance editor, a writing consultant, and an instructor in creative writing at the University of California and has a private practice in Berkeley, California, as a consultant to women with eating disorders.
More about Kim Chernin...
In My Mother's House The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness Reinventing Eve: Modern Woman in Search of Herself The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother