Start by marking “Prospect Street” as Want to Read:
Prospect Street

Prospect Street

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  699 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
When Faith Bronson's marriage ends abruptly, she finds her privileged life shattered. Only just beginning to face the lie she has lived, she finds sanctuary with her two children in the shabby Georgetown row house that's been in her mother's family for generations.

This historic house harbors dark secrets of its own. When Faith takes steps to rebuild her ancestral home, she
Published September 17th 2012 by Mira Books (first published 2002)

Renee
Jan 17, 2010 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I started reading Emilie Richards' romance novels because I loved her mysteries. I was delighted to find that her romances actually had more plot and characterization than I expected -- I'm not surprised that her recent books are on the mainstream fiction shelves. Prospect Street delivers all that I've now come to expect from Richards but on a multi-generational level this time. Set in Georgetown, the book flirts with politics but never delves deep; instead, Georgetown is the plot and politics a ...more
Don
Jul 10, 2016 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many reasons I choose to red what I do. In this instance, I wanted to read something narrated by Martha Harmon-Pardee since I knew that I would be hearing her speak at the 2016 convention of the American council of the Blind. So I went through my rather lengthy "to read" list and picked out this book even though I couldn't quite figure out why I ever thought it would be worth my time.

When Faith Bronson discovers that her husband is having a relationship with a man, her marriage abrupt
Denise
Aug 23, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a nice surprise this book was. I enjoyed it from the first chapter. It was about a family who was going through hard times, and yet the heroine kept it together with integrity. She was almost too perfect/selfless sometimes, but defintely someone that I would aspire to be.

The background story was great and held my interest without going over the top. Best book that I have read in quite a while. :)
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
I really enjoyed this book.This is my first encounter with Emilie Richards but it won't be the last. The story is very well written with enough twists and turns that you won't want to put it down. I really cared about the characters and wanted to see that their lives come out alright. The Georgetown setting was realistic along with the historical perspective. A good read and one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Marilyn Miles
I'm working my way through all of Emilie Richard's books and I haven't been disappointed yet. Glad I discovered this author!
Lori
Jul 05, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this one several times and it never loses its appeal. It was a wonderful book - great storyline, awesome characters.
Val
Aug 31, 2015 Val rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book from beginning to the very last page!!
Margaret
Faith never met her older sister, Hope. Hope was kidnapped from her parents' home when she was just a few days old and what happened to her still remains a mystery. Filled with grief, Faith's mother and her father, a prominent Virginia senator, closed up the home that had been handed down from generation to generation to Faith's mother, and moved to a new home where they welcomed a new baby daughter. The kidnapping presented Faith with an unusual childhood filled with caution and security measur ...more
Livia
Oct 11, 2013 Livia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prospect Street is a street of historical town houses in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC. Faith Bronson's mother was raised in such a house on Prospect Street. Her mother eventually married one of the nation's most high-profiled, conservative senator's. She eventually had a child that was kidnapped from this house before Faith was born. The kidnapping destroyed her marriage and it became one in name only.

Faith was brought up under strict conservative conditions and when she married a "han
Gloria Bernal
Mar 13, 2010 Gloria Bernal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book right from the onset. It grabs your attention from the getgo and doesn't let go. At over 500 pages, I was glad it had substance. It is primarily about relationships in today's contemporary times, but also about renovating an old Georgetown row house, the research and history of the house, the strong women who lived there, it's secrets and a few mysteries to solve. A multi-faceted novel, engagingly real characters, I looked forward to each sitting with it.

The places mentioned in
Michelle
Faith finds her world falling apart as she discovers that her husband, a conservative activist, has been having an affair with another man. She must find means to support her children in the DC area and help them with the upheaval in their lives. Her mother agrees to allow them to live in the row house in Georgetown, site of the tragic disappearance of Faith's older sister as a baby. The place is a wreck after years of being a rental. Faith finds two friends, one in the long time next door neigh ...more
Sam
Mar 11, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lies we are told by our parents, our spouses, our children and the lies we tell ourselves....how much do we want to know the truth and how hard will we dig to find the answers? Wonderful story seeking answers to a long ago tragedy and what we are truly made of at heart.
Farshana the crazy book-worm:-)
Loved the complex characters and detailed description of each perspective. The mystery woven through the storyline was impressive.
Pamela K
Jul 26, 2015 Pamela K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
I love to read books that you absorbed until the end and this was one of them. Great job Emilie Richards.
Kbugirl0305
Apr 21, 2016 Kbugirl0305 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed. her writing style and the story line. I need to read more by her
Sharon A.
Apr 21, 2016 Sharon A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story fascinated me from the first sentence, and kept me fascinated throughout. Loved it.
Christina
Aug 04, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have never read Emilie Richards before, but I will definitely look into more of her books! This book kept me coming back, eager to read more, and kept me thinking about the story line long after I was finished. It is one of those books that you cannot wait to finish and yet you don't want to end!

It really touches on a wide range of issues, and as Publishers Weekly is quoted on the back as saying, it truly is "an engrossing novel about rebuilding relationships..." and not in the warm, fuzzy, 'c
Ross Sandie
Dec 22, 2015 Ross Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I found Emile Richards! She is fast becoming a very favorite author. Love the way she weaves her stories.
Chris
Apr 07, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. I thought the story was excellent.
June
Jun 16, 2014 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book

Susan
Su
Jan 29, 2013 Su rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super book if you're one of those readers who like calm books where not much happens, and I do NOT mean this in a bad way. There is so much to soak up here that action would just be distracting. The characters were very special and realistic, in a somewhat dated sort of way, but that is probably very accurate for a book that's 10 years old. Time marches quickly. Kept me going.
Paula
Jun 06, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started off with quite a shocker and kept my attention all the way through. I thought the author did a great job portraying family dynamics when faced with a crisis.

Enjoyed reading about Georgetown and the row house renovations. Looking forward to visiting the Georgetown area one day.

This was my first Emilie Richards novel. Anxious to read more of her work.
Darlene
The history of an old house in Georgetown adds to the intriguing story of love and deceit many years in the making. This was a really good read on many levels. I enjoyed it very much but that is a given because I have never read anything written by Emilie Richards that hasn't held my attention and interest throughout the entire novel!
Luanna
Oct 25, 2013 Luanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of this author until a patron at the library I worked in was returning it and said I should read it. From the start of it until the last line of the book I was hooked. Every time someone came in asking for a good book I suggested this one. Ms. Richard is a favorite author of mine now.
Dawn ♥ romance
Nov 11, 2013 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A captivating story about a family recovering from divorce. It started out head on, had interesting plot twists and an exciting ending but very little romance and a few events stretched belief. Faith makes a shocking discovery that tears her family apart and they struggle to adapt.
Brenda
Aug 01, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I like the fact that the characters are more mature. The story might be considered a little dated, not every character in the story had a cellphone and home computers were relatively new, but the concept of family and forgiveness are timeless.
Bethanne
Sep 09, 2009 Bethanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot -- I found the characters believable, and the mystery intriguing. It's about the importance of female lineage. I am not familiar with Georgetown myself, but I felt like I was on Prospect Street.
Jewett
Jun 21, 2014 Jewett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an interesting book that delves into one aspect of homosexuality that we usually don't think about and also the effect of crimes on family members. It pits the ultraconservative against more likeable humans.
Bree
Aug 27, 2011 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story of interwoven subplots. Emilie Richards always does an amazing job with her books. The characters become more fluid through misfortune, lost hope, lost and new romance, and happiness. Rich reading.
  • The Divided Child
  • The Richest Season
  • Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7)
  • Ghost Gone Wild (Bailey Ruth, #4)
  • The Book of Peach
  • The Long Road Home
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • Alligator Lake
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • Whispers of Goodbye
  • Inadmissible Evidence
  • The Rock Orchard
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • The Betrayer
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Autumn Blue
  • Fifty Is Not a Four-Letter Word
  • Puttin' on the Grits: A Guide to Southern Entertaining
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuts in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by Som
More about Emilie Richards...