Start by marking “Lover's Knot” as Want to Read:
Lover's Knot

Lover's Knot (Shenandoah Album #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,233 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Confused about her troubled marriage, Kendra Taylor needs time to sort out her feelings. Retreating to an abandoned cabin left to her husband, Isaac, by the maternal grandmother he never knew, she is quickly welcomed into the rural community of Toms Brook. She soon becomes curious about a beautiful heirloom quilt and the past Isaac has always refused to explore. The unusua ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published June 1st 2006)

Kathryn
Loved this book, as good as the previous two in the series. Some of previous well loved characters. However the story of Kendra and Isaac was so engrossing that I wasn't pining for past characters. Loved the cat and dog! Ten and Rug! Liked the parallel of Isaac and Caleb and how Isaac was able to reach out to Caleb. One aspect I like about these books are that Emilie Richards includes flashbacks that do not seem intrusive, they are well placed and used. Thoroughly good read.

Loved this all over a
Kate Vale
The third in the Shenandoah Album series, this story focuses on Kendra Taylor, who's coming off a near-death experience that leaves her wounded in body and spirit. To escape where she was nearly killed and a marriage she feels was also a casualty of the shooting that nearly killed her, she goes to the little cabin willed to her husband from the grandmother he never knew.

In that little cabin, desperately in need of being razed or renovated, Kendra finds a quilt whose pattern holds a series of clu
Janice
Nov 20, 2008 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a wonderful story of the mystery of a Lovers Knot Quilt. Very well written and very interresting. I want to read more of her books.

The background story is about the Applachians and how they were forced to give up their land in the 1930's for Shenandoah national park. I believe it's the first "eminent domain" case in the U.S. The title is misleading, it's not a romance novel, it's in reference to quilting, in which Kendra, the main character, is trying to find the origin of a quilt that w
Kelly Logan
Sep 27, 2008 Kelly Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book! I didn't want to walk away from K.C and Isaac at the end. I wanted to step through the pages and sit on the little log cabin porch and watch Black Beauty slither from under the porch. It makes me want to drive the hour to the Blue Ridge Parkway and look at the area in a new light.

What I love best about these characters is how they are all flawed...even the animals have issues. None of the characters are over done, but instead are completely realistic. I've alr
Cindy
Feb 17, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in the development of the Shenandoah Park, and the 'mystery' of the Lover's Knot quilt...quilting/handwork and nature are two of my favorite things, so this was a fun read for me....I really expected the 'bodies in the cave' to be more of a 'The English Patient" issue and less of what it was....matter of fact I was disappointed in the reveal of history. I liked my ideas better...

Dawn
Feb 22, 2017 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good as the first of the series. I love the way Richards blends serious issues of the day or of history with relationship building and adds a touch of humor (mostly through the irascible Helen) to keep the reader moving forward. The stories of the earlier neighbors in the Shenandoah especially interest me.
Lisa
Dec 24, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected third entry in the "Shenandoah Album" series (with a fourth to come--only three were planned), this is a good book but should have been longer in order to unravel some of the plot lines, instead of jumping to solve them in an epilogue. What there is, is a really good story with interesting characters.
Pat
Jan 05, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used the audio version for this book. I have to compliment the wonderfully talented Isabel Keating for her outstanding abilities. Her voices and inflections of the characters makes this a real pleasure to listen to.

This story however,I found to be a bit sad. I think, if it is historically correct, the U.S. Government did to the people of Virginia, and likely some other areas of the Appalachian Mountains a very similar thing as was done to the Native Americans, our Indians. I found that I real
Sharon Forbes
Jan 24, 2016 Sharon Forbes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another really great book in the Shenandoah Album series. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, and have already started on the next book, Touching Stars. Lover's Knot revolves around Kendra Taylor and her husband Isaac. Kendra being a reporter, becomes curious about an heirloom quilt that was left to her husband by his grandmother that he never knew. She discovers the quilt after she was attacked in the parking lot of their local drug store, after which she retreats to Isaac's ...more
Michelle
This continues the author's Shennadoah Valley series. While it has some overlap in characters from the previous books, it focuses on Kendra, the reporter from DC and her husband. As Kendra recuperates in the home willed to her husband by his grandmother that he never knew. She re-evaluates her life and she researches her husband's family history and discovers some mysterious clues in a heirloom quilt from his grandmother. Her husband was adopted and knows little about his family. This was a wond ...more
Ruth
Aug 29, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in Emile Richards' Shenandoah Album series is called Lover's Knot. It is set in the same town as the others and Helen, Sam and Elisa make appearances. A quilt is at the center of the plot. This story is about Kendra an invstigative reporter for the Washington Post who is shot one night in the city and comes out to a home her husband inherited to recover. Her body needs healing and so does her marriage. A quilt her husband inherited leads her on a search for his roots. She learns t ...more
Scilla
Apr 16, 2010 Scilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lover's Knot refers to a quilt left to Isaac by his unknown grandmother along with a country home in Toms Brook in the Shenendoah Valley (he was adopted by a cruel man as a young child). Isaac works for a nonprofit and is married to journalist Kendra. They both work too hard and their relationship is failing when Kendra is shot by a carjacker. She moves out to the cabin to restore herself and think about her marriage. While there, she begins to research the life of Isaac's grandmother, and finds ...more
L
May 05, 2014 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-fiction
I really enjoyed this book, as much as the previous two in the Shenandoah Album Series, Sister's Choice and Touching Stars. Lover's Knot has some of the previous characters. However Issac and Kendra's story was so interesting that I did not miss former characters that did not make it into this book. Thought the similar lives of Issac and Caleb made for a good healing technique for both of them. Emilie Richards includes flashbacks that help readers who did not read the first two get caught up., I ...more
Suzie Quint
Nov 19, 2011 Suzie Quint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The troubles in Kendra and Tom's marriage percolate to the surface after Kendra is shot by a carjacker and she retreats to the mountain cabin Tom's grandmother left him. Though most of the story focuses on the modern day story, there are significant (but engrossing) flashbacks to the 1930's that tell his grandmother's story. That's where the mystery in the book resides, and as Kendra's research begins to piece together the puzzle, she and her husband begin to find themselves solving their own pr ...more
Caron
Oct 24, 2008 Caron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, some men.
Recommended to Caron by: Kim Bunn
This book is the third book in a series, but it does stand alone. I really liked the story and loved the background story about the Applachians and how they were forced to give up their land in the 1930's for Shenandoah national park. I believe it's the first "eminent domain" case in the U.S. The title is misleading, it's not a romance novel, it's in reference to quilting, in which Kendra, the main character, is trying to find the origin of a quilt that was inherited by her husband's grandmothe ...more
Judy Iliff
Enjoyable story, but again we have the protagonist who refused to listen to "the man/police officer" because no one is going to tell her what to do. Drives me nuts! But the story centers around a quilt shop, and, I will read the next in the series.

Again way too many mechanical errors in the book for my taste. This them there were partial sentences inserted into the middle of a word, sentences interrupted in the middle to be continued later on, repetition of sentences. Is there no such thing as a
Toni
Sep 10, 2007 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quilters
Another quilting book story line. I love it! This book is a third in the series, but you can not tell that as you read this book. It does stand alone.

Again the history in this book is compelling. I do love reading because I love the fantasy of a story line and like happy endings, this one was no exception. It dealt with a lot of psychological issues, which I don't think were fully address and the longing for a child from the couple was ended abruptly.

But the warmth of making long term friends an
Darcy
I didn't like Issac at the start of this one. In fact I hoped that he and Kendra would split up and hoped that in this book Kendra would find someone in the Shenandoah Valley, not something that usually happens in a romance book. It was only as the past story was revealed that I started liking Issac and felt sorry for him and wanted him to work things out with Kendra.

A new character, Caleb, intrigued me. I loved how he fit in with both Kendra and Issac. I hope that we get to know more about him
Nancy
My first book by Emilie Richards. The story is a bit slow for the first half but was a lot better in the second half. This book is part of a series so there were many characters sprinkled over the course of the book. It can get a bit confusing trying to keep track of who is who. Feel so sorry for Leah, Isaac's grandma, love the kids in the book, and enjoy the resolution of Isaac and Kendra's relationship. Hope ER will write a book on Caleb in future.
Patty
Jun 28, 2012 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th in the series that I've read. Unfortunately, I read the last one first, and it really was something of a spoiler alert. Still, since all of the books have similar elements, of course I knew that the couple would work stuff out.

I do like how she addresses some issues in a reasonably fair way. This time it was the issue of eminent domain, considering the rights of the landowners vs. the rights of the nation to protect wilderness.
Emily Higgins
Kendra Taylor was shot by a man who wanted to steal her car. Recovering slowly from her injuries, she decides to spend the time it would take to recuperate in a cabin her husband, Isaac, had inherited from his grandmother. While soaking up the peace of her surroundings, Kendra delves into the mystery of her husband's family. She also finds that she has the time to contemplate her marriage and what she really wanted from her marriage and her life. A deeply moving, well-written story.
Nancy Black
May 14, 2010 Nancy Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful novel which tugs at the heart. Set in modern time this story spans over 70 years drawing the reader back to simpler times, but the hard Appalachian era.

In the center of this story Leah is the one who leaves her grandson a cabin and a quilt.

I guarantee you will be caught up in the spider web of heartbreak, murder, insanity and a terrific ending.

If you care about our precious land read this one.
Virginia Markhart
Way better that just good. GREAT!! This book had it all. I little mystery, a little violence, little love, lots of misunderstanding. Sigh. So glad I read it.
This is the tale of a married couple who are having problems. The wife turns to a cabin on land that her husband inherited. Much of the book is about the grandmother who left her grandson a quilt and a cabin.

Gave me something to thing about. Imminent domain.
M.A. Levi
Aug 09, 2011 M.A. Levi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book is an amazing book, Filled with rich characters wonderful stories and true love that connects onces again.. Gotta Love the happy endings. The plot thickens with every peek into a dark past and helps with a optomistic future. Superb read... this book makes quilting seem alot more interesting.
Tiona
Sep 16, 2010 Tiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Emilie Richards when she started writing mysteries (see some of my previous reviews) I enjoyed this book. It is well written, interesting. I like that there is not a lot of vulgar language. It is a long book, so don't plan to finish in a few hours. I am reading the next book about the same characters. I know there is one before this one, so I need to find that as well.
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Kendra Taylor and all the changes she went through in this book. Then the secrets that were uncovered as she searched her husband Isaac's familie history showed why I am trying to trace my ancestors even though my lineage won't be as exciting as his was.
Wonderful read in this Shenandoah Album series,so glad I took this series from my TBR mountain!!
Nikki
Nov 23, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did find myself drawn into the story line of this book. I was put off though that the book jacket introduced the story with a Depression Era murder that connected to present time. However, the book was just over half way through before that event came into play. I almost gave up on reading it before I made it that far. I am glad that I continued to the end, though.
Barb
Mar 02, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book in the Shanandoah series by Emilie Richards. The books are not earth-shaking or life changing, but I enjoy them. They all share the same characters, but each book focuses on a different family in the Tomsbrook area. Each of the books reads like a Hallmark movie, but then again, I like Hallmark movies. This one had a mystery involved, which was a nice twist.
Dee Dee
Aug 17, 2011 Dee Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read this book. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. Lover's Knot is a quilting stitch. This book has sweet romance, forgivness, understandin ones self and a great family mystery.
Vikki
Mar 29, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. It was the third book in the Shenandoah Album series. This book is about Kendra and Isaac Taylor. They inherited an old cabin of Leah's, Isaac's grandmother. They research her life. So good.
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • The Healing Quilt
  • Girls Night
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by So
More about Emilie Richards...

Shenandoah Album (5 books)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • Sister's Choice