Start by marking “The Carriage House” as Want to Read:
The Carriage House

The Carriage House (Carriage House #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  959 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Fun and a little hard work. That's all Tess Haviland had in mind when Ike Grantham paid her for her graphic design work with the run-down, nineteenth-century carriage house on Boston's North Shore.

Then Ike disappeared, and now Tess finds herself with much more than a simple weekend project to get her out of the city. It's not just the rumors that the carriage house is haun
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Carriage House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carriage House

Veena
The synopsis very much tells you the story and if I say anything more it will be a total giveaway. So I will just tell you my feelings on this book…it is predictable, and to me it seems that the author wanted it this way. I liked Tess a lot and her dad and her Godfather too. The dialog between Tess and her Godfather (who keeps on getting on her nerves) is hilarious and I loved it. You won’t be able to stop from giggling on those. I really felt that I wanted a friend like Susan was to Tess and ho ...more
Laura Rittenhouse
This book is classified as Suspense Romance on its back spine. The suspense isn't something that keeps you on the edge of your seat since you are told early on who the skeleton in the cellar was before his life was cut short and who killed him. The drama revolves around how the heroine (the woman with the skeleton under her carriagehouse) will deal with the discovery and when/if the guilty party will be caught. The 2nd strain of the story is a classic romance between the heroine and her reticent ...more
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)
Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

Tess is given a carriage house instead of payment for her graphic design services. Now, the owner is missing, and she’s stuck with a tax bill. Tess decides to go out to the carriage house in order to ascertain her best course of action–sell it or keep it?

While there, she meets her next door neighbors: a sexy architect, his precocious daughter, and his tough, ex-cop cousin. Worse, though, she discovers a skeleton in the cellar.

She doesn’t tell anyone what she ha
Nancy
Jul 03, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book. Good plot. Exciting. Suspenseful. Fun characters!!

Fun and a little hard work. That's all Tess Haviland had in mind when Ike Grantham paid her for her graphic design work with the run-down, 19th-century carriage house on Boston's North Shore.

Then Ike disappeared and now Tess finds herself with much more than a simple weekend project to get her out of the city. It's not just the rumors that the carriage house is haunted. It is the neighbors: six-year-old Dolly Thorne, her reclusive baby
Stephanie
Who knew being gifted with a carriage house could lead to such mystery. Tess has been gifted a carriage house by a client who used it a payment for work done. The client then disappears for going on a year and Tess receives the tax bill for the property. She decides to go stay and inspected the house over the weekend. During the weekend she meets her handsome neighbor and his 6 year old daughter Dolly. She also discovers by accident a skull in her cellar. Intrigue abounds. A well written novel, ...more
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

From Wikipedia:

A carriage house, also called a remise or coach house, is an outbuilding which was originally built to house horse-drawn carriages and the related tack.

The blurb of this book had me thinking that it was about a haunted house. After I started reading the book, I reread the blurb and realized that I might have been mistaken. Aside from the "human skeleton in the dirt cellar,"and the "rumors that the carriage house is haunted,"there really was no other indic
Jess
Jul 14, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a group challenge, and it is my first by the author. I really enjoyed this one. At first it was a little slow going but this was mostly because the author had to set up the storyline.

This is an old fashioned mystery story with some romantic elements thrown in. A woman named Tess moves into an old house that she was given as payment for her services as a graphic designer. When she finally decides to move in, she's told it's actually a haunted house. Her neighbors next door ar
Pattianne
The Carriage House - Carriage House Series #1 - (TESS AND Andrew) - Mystery concerning the haunted house. FInd killer and each others love.

Kristi
3.5 stars. Old houses, coastal locales, ghosts, skeletons, a widowed father of a 6 year old girl -- what's not to love? An enjoyable read, though I have to confess I felt the chemistry between the protagonists was a bit flat, but somehow still believable. Since I've enjoyed other series by Neggers and this was a first in the series I'll be giving the next book or two in this one a try too and see if I receive those ones a bit better. I'm feeling optimistic about the series.
Ann
*Read for S524: Adult Readers' Advisory* So this is romantic suspense...I think for the genre, this fairly well written. Great literature it will never be, but it was a fun read, and I know it kept my interest as I was finishing it for class. Tess' random barfight in the middle of the book was pretty obnoxious, and I still don't quite get how the love interests could be groping each other after less than 24 hours, but who am I to say? The romance was pretty tame, and I did enjoy the New England ...more
Charity
Jan 29, 2016 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the best thing about this book was the characters. I really cared what happened to them and how they interacted. I did think that figuring out who the murderer was was a little easy, but, once again, the characters were awesome so that more than made up for it. Reading this made me want to go to Boston and hang out at Jim's Place!
Susannah Carleton
3 1/2 stars. A man who has been missing for a year, but no one seems worried about, not even his sister. A haunted carriage house given to a graphic designer in lieu of a check, as payment for work she has done and will continue to do. Strange neighbors. All the elements of a good story, but not as suspenseful as I expected.
Stacy
Jan 18, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters were all enjoyable, if not memorable. The story was fast paced and although you knew who did it relatively early on there was some confusion thrown in to keep you reading. I really liked the secondary characters. Andrew’s cousin Harley Beckett was an original and Tess’s dad and godfather were loving manly men and it was easy to forgive their chauvinistic ways.

To be fair, I should say that I started this on the plane last week and the fact that it kept my attention at all is an end
Nicole Girolomo
Enjoyed this romance/mystery novel and will look for more by this author. Lately I have been ready a lot of New England coastal novels, it's fun to read by nearby places that I have been to or might visit someday!
Courtney
Nov 04, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, light, easy read. The characters are all very likable, and this likability carries the story. Light romance, light suspense. Will definitely read the second installment.
D.
Aug 31, 2014 D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
My favorite Carla Neggers book of all time! Excellent read. Carla is a gifted storyteller. Beautifully-written & kept my interest from start to finish. Wish she would write a sequel! So good.
Karen Wilson
Jan 15, 2014 Karen Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would try this author and I was very pleased with the book. It was a nice quick read that made you want to meet the characters. It had a little romance, suspense, humor and food in it. Oh, did I forget the good looking guy! What more could you ask for to help you take your mind off of your troubles! I highly recommend this book.
Sharon
Oct 02, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot of the book was interesting, although pretty unrealistic, but I thought there was too much profanity.
Marilyn
Mar 02, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Loved this book! Kept me on the edge of my seat! Couldn't put it down!!!
Mary
Mar 03, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Loved Princess Dolly and Tess, and I enjoyed the storyline.
Kristen
Books about old houses will always intrigue me!
Regina
Feb 03, 2016 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good read
Tammy Pickens
Jul 18, 2015 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good story.
Bobbie Foster harper
I love Carla Neggers you have suspense, romance and a good story line
Felix L.
Another eBook that was passed along to me via Twitter. This one was well constructed, and although not my favorite story (I'm not much for thrillers as much as I am for giving random writers a shot), I was definitely entertained.

The character Tess serves as a conduit for readers to be taken along a pretty interesting ride in this thriller/romantic mystery in a Massachusetts setting. A pretty solid recommendation to anyone looking for a fun read with a "scary story" appeal.

Melissa
Mar 18, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time with this one....
Gwenn Wright
Nov 21, 2013 Gwenn Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly I want to give Carriage House four stars but some of the dialog just irritated me and the almost paranormal moments made my eyes roll up in the back of my head. That being said, this was a comfortable, entertaining and enjoyable read.
Completely predictable but I think the point was more in the unfolding of the plot rather than the whodunit. I love the characters, vibrant and real.
3.5/4
Joy
Not Neggers's best work, but also not her worst: if that's not damning with faint praise, I don't know what is! The suspense plot was...not very suspenseful, since it was pretty obvious who the villain was from the start. However, I liked how the missing Ike Grantham was such a vivid figure for someone who turns out to be dead for most of the book.
Dawn
Nov 07, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys romantic suspense.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Carla Neggers books.
I enjoy this author's books, but for some reason it took me quite some time to get into the story. It was a little slow moving in the beginning, but I enjoyed it very much as the story got moving. Some of the characters from this appear in her next book, The Cabin. I did not realize this until I started reading The Cabin some years later.
Marti
The Carriage House by Carla Neggers is a mystery that holds your attention. While it is not impossible to figure out who did what to whom. The story continues to twist and turn because of the characters. They added more to the book, then the mystery is some places. It is a fast read including implacable, taciturn New England men.
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Everlasting Love
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Butterfly
  • Hearts in Vegas
  • Mörder ohne Gnade
  • The Chase
  • The Bodyguard's Baby (Colby Agency, #2)
  • With Her Last Breath
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

Carriage House (4 books)
  • The Cabin (Carriage House, #2)
  • Stonebrook Cottage (Carriage House, #3)
  • The Harbor (Carriage House, #4)

“You always get paid in cash. It’s Rule One. If I’d been around to advise the Indians, do you think I’d have let them take beads for Manhattan? Hell, no.” 0 likes