Start by marking “The Carriage House” as Want to Read:
The Carriage House

The Carriage House (Carriage House #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  717 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Fun and a little hard work. That's all Tess Haviland had in mind when Ike Grantham paid her for her graphic design work with the run-down, nineteenth-century carriage house on Boston's North Shore.

Then Ike disappeared, and now Tess finds herself with much more than a simple weekend project to get her out of the city. It's not just the rumors that the carriage house is haun
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Carriage House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carriage House

Veens
The synopsis very much tells you the story and if I say anything more it will be a total giveaway. So I will just tell you my feelings on this book…it is predictable, and to me it seems that the author wanted it this way. I liked Tess a lot and her dad and her Godfather too. The dialog between Tess and her Godfather (who keeps on getting on her nerves) is hilarious and I loved it. You won’t be able to stop from giggling on those. I really felt that I wanted a friend like Susan was to Tess and ho ...more
Laura Rittenhouse
This book is classified as Suspense Romance on its back spine. The suspense isn't something that keeps you on the edge of your seat since you are told early on who the skeleton in the cellar was before his life was cut short and who killed him. The drama revolves around how the heroine (the woman with the skeleton under her carriagehouse) will deal with the discovery and when/if the guilty party will be caught. The 2nd strain of the story is a classic romance between the heroine and her reticent ...more
Nancy
Nice book. Good plot. Exciting. Suspenseful. Fun characters!!

Fun and a little hard work. That's all Tess Haviland had in mind when Ike Grantham paid her for her graphic design work with the run-down, 19th-century carriage house on Boston's North Shore.

Then Ike disappeared and now Tess finds herself with much more than a simple weekend project to get her out of the city. It's not just the rumors that the carriage house is haunted. It is the neighbors: six-year-old Dolly Thorne, her reclusive baby
Jess
I read this book for a group challenge, and it is my first by the author. I really enjoyed this one. At first it was a little slow going but this was mostly because the author had to set up the storyline.

This is an old fashioned mystery story with some romantic elements thrown in. A woman named Tess moves into an old house that she was given as payment for her services as a graphic designer. When she finally decides to move in, she's told it's actually a haunted house. Her neighbors next door ar
Pattianne
The Carriage House - Carriage House Series #1 - (TESS AND Andrew) - Mystery concerning the haunted house. FInd killer and each others love.

Ann
*Read for S524: Adult Readers' Advisory* So this is romantic suspense...I think for the genre, this fairly well written. Great literature it will never be, but it was a fun read, and I know it kept my interest as I was finishing it for class. Tess' random barfight in the middle of the book was pretty obnoxious, and I still don't quite get how the love interests could be groping each other after less than 24 hours, but who am I to say? The romance was pretty tame, and I did enjoy the New England ...more
Stacy
The characters were all enjoyable, if not memorable. The story was fast paced and although you knew who did it relatively early on there was some confusion thrown in to keep you reading. I really liked the secondary characters. Andrew’s cousin Harley Beckett was an original and Tess’s dad and godfather were loving manly men and it was easy to forgive their chauvinistic ways.

To be fair, I should say that I started this on the plane last week and the fact that it kept my attention at all is an end
Courtney
Very enjoyable, light, easy read. The characters are all very likable, and this likability carries the story. Light romance, light suspense. Will definitely read the second installment.
D.
My favorite Carla Neggers book of all time! Excellent read. Carla is a gifted storyteller. Beautifully-written & kept my interest from start to finish. Wish she would write a sequel! So good.
Karen Wilson
I thought I would try this author and I was very pleased with the book. It was a nice quick read that made you want to meet the characters. It had a little romance, suspense, humor and food in it. Oh, did I forget the good looking guy! What more could you ask for to help you take your mind off of your troubles! I highly recommend this book.
Mary
I really liked this book! Loved Princess Dolly and Tess, and I enjoyed the storyline.
Kristen
Books about old houses will always intrigue me!
Felix L.
Another eBook that was passed along to me via Twitter. This one was well constructed, and although not my favorite story (I'm not much for thrillers as much as I am for giving random writers a shot), I was definitely entertained.

The character Tess serves as a conduit for readers to be taken along a pretty interesting ride in this thriller/romantic mystery in a Massachusetts setting. A pretty solid recommendation to anyone looking for a fun read with a "scary story" appeal.

Melissa
I had a hard time with this one....
Gwenn Wright
Mostly I want to give Carriage House four stars but some of the dialog just irritated me and the almost paranormal moments made my eyes roll up in the back of my head. That being said, this was a comfortable, entertaining and enjoyable read.
Completely predictable but I think the point was more in the unfolding of the plot rather than the whodunit. I love the characters, vibrant and real.
3.5/4
There wasn't much suspense, but the characters are really likable. I'd read the next book in the series.

My full review is posted on my blog Books That Hook
Joy
Not Neggers's best work, but also not her worst: if that's not damning with faint praise, I don't know what is! The suspense plot was...not very suspenseful, since it was pretty obvious who the villain was from the start. However, I liked how the missing Ike Grantham was such a vivid figure for someone who turns out to be dead for most of the book.
Dawn
Nov 07, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys romantic suspense.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Carla Neggers books.
I enjoy this author's books, but for some reason it took me quite some time to get into the story. It was a little slow moving in the beginning, but I enjoyed it very much as the story got moving. Some of the characters from this appear in her next book, The Cabin. I did not realize this until I started reading The Cabin some years later.
Marti
The Carriage House by Carla Neggers is a mystery that holds your attention. While it is not impossible to figure out who did what to whom. The story continues to twist and turn because of the characters. They added more to the book, then the mystery is some places. It is a fast read including implacable, taciturn New England men.
Sam
A good book overall. I liked Tess and Andrew, enjoyed the supporting cast of Harlon, Dolly, Davie and Jim. Boston is one of my favorite locales for books. The story moved along pretty good but a bit slow in parts.

My only complaint is the bar fight. It was stupid and childish of Tess and and I really didn't see the point in it.
Dannielle
It was all very predictable. It was told from numerous points of view, so you had a pretty good idea of where everything was going. The romance was kinda thrown in at the very end. The end also seemed kinda rushed, as if the author was just trying to tie up all loose ends, instead of close a story.
Kelly Ballenger
This is the first book that I have read of Carla's and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more of her books!
Brandielle
I liked this book but it never really grabbed my attention. I started it forever ago but when reading multiple books it always got shoved to the bottom.
Maggie
An enjoyable read. It was fairly predictable but still an okay read. I have only read a couple of Carla Neggers books but i do look forward to reading more.
Christi
meh - pretty predictable story
nothing really compelling or memorable about the plot or characters
the Boston accents were pretty terrible in this audiobook
Kellie
Great book. I love her mysteries. They are simple, but still manage to keep you guessing. And just enough romance to spice things up. :)
Brooke
I enjoyed this book & there was just enough action & romance to keep my interest. I will definitely be reading Neggers again!
Sherry
I always enjoy her books. They are usually quick moving and enjoyable.
Susan
Thoroughly enjoyable ghost story/mystery/romance. A nice escape.
Desiree
Actually made me have some self-revelations. Enjoyed the book.
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Keepsake
  • Missing
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Once Upon a Ghost
  • Skeletons
  • Stone Heart
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)