An Independent Woman

An Independent Woman (Women and Men #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Only one person ever treated Juliana Holcott with anything other than disdain--Nicholas Barre, the orphaned heir to the estate where she spent her childhood. And when wild, rebellious Nick left home, Juliana was left to fend for herself.

Forced to seek employment as a lady's companion, Juliana has resigned herself to a life of lonely independence...until Nick's innocent att...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about An Independent Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Independent Woman

RomReader
27yo debutante's companion sees her childhood best friend again after he left his family estate 15 years ago. He is now lord of his family estate & is as eager as heroine to renew their friendship. Getting fired from her employment due to her employer's disapproval of her r/s with Hero induces him to propose a marriage of convenience with her. Heroine cautiously agrees to it after he outlines the platonic nature of their marriage even though she wishes it wasn't so. Their burgeoning sexual a...more
Lexie
The synopsis makes this sound a bit more mystery laden then it is. The murder takes place about 2/3rds of the way in, before that the book is pretty much follows typical lines.

I enjoyed this book, I got through it in about 3 hours and even for a romance that's rather quick for me. It keeps up a slick pace, not slowing down after the intial chapter or so of obligatory flashbacks to how the two met, their childhood problems etc. I had some trouble grasping why the author felt she needed to tell us...more
Belinda Kroll
This is my first Candace Camp and I picked it up because I have been on the hunt for A Hidden Heart for my mother. The other Candace Camp books didn't interest me, but the title intrigued me. This book was a fun, quick read, that had little history and the right amount of romance.

The selling point of this book is the description of Juliana and Nick. Admittedly, at the beginning I tired of Juliana's constant wondering "Will he remember me? Won't he remember me? What if I don't meet his expectatio...more
kris
Juliana and Nicholas were bffs back in the day; they haven't seen each other for 15 years. Due to Nicholas's attentions, Juliana gets fired, and they end up engaged. AND THEN, MURDER. And feelings, but those are less important because of MURDER.

1. This book is basically mediocre. A lot of the standard writing issues: more telling than showing; some repeated information; a reliance upon ridiculous metaphors that are mostly hilarity and nonsense.

One of the things that really bothered me, however,...more
Qtpham85
I hate to say it, but it was kinda boring...until the end when the mystery gets solved.
Julie
An Independent Woman written by Candace Camp and published by Harlequin was published in 2006. There are 397 pages.

Juliana Holcott and Nicholas Barre lived together as children, both were taken in by relatives due to dire circumstances. When Nicholas was sixteen he left and Juliana had to fend for herself. As adults ,Nicholas became the heir and Juliana became a paid companion. After years of apart the childhood friends are reunited. When Nicholas goes out of his way to spend time with his old...more
Jeanne
Nikki
I liked it but the mystery felt a little random and wrapped up too nicely at the end.
Adriana Fogaça
Amores Ousados 02
Conquista
Candace Camp

Atualmente, tenho um grande receio de Romances Históricos.

Normalmente é uma embromação sem tamanho, não que a Conquista não seja, mas pelo menos é interessante em algumas passagens.

Não é nenhuma 8° maravilha do mundo, mas há momentos, principalmente na última parte que é empolgante, onde até é possível perceber a adrenalina fluir.

Se vc for fã, de romances históricos, acho que pode, até adorar.

Pra mim é razoável.

Por isso dou 3 estrelas.
Katherine
This is not a bad story just it kind of drags. The hero and heroine are likable enough and their characters are described well. Things are repeated over and over I found my self skimming some pages to get back to something interesting. I would like to read the next in the series Eleanor is a fun character.
penelopewanders
According to fantastic fiction this is the first in the series... even though on Camp's website and on Goodreads this is listed as the second. Weird,now we'll have to see if I agree when I read the second. Good read, even if the "I love him/her but he/she just wants to be friends" goes on a bit too long.
Kikkasole
Una lettura a tinte rosa. E questo lo sapevo. Poi succede .... E la lettura assume tinte talmente gialle che giuro sentivo questa musica ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WIfg...

Comunque ci tengo a dire che avevo capito tutto e subito ....ma sono stata zitta per non fare la saputella XD
Judith Wrinkle
Fast........simple, read in two days...........spicy and relaxing.
Stephanie Ward
I have reread this book so many times I can't count. I love this story. Camp is an amazing storyteller. she paints a vivid picture and creates great stories. you wont be disappointed!
it was a good storyline and the characters were interesting over all. But there seemed to be a lot of repeating in the story and it didn't get really intense until right at the end.
Lesley
Great, easy read - but kept me interested like all Candace Camp books.
Deb
Good read, sympathetic characters but not much sense of history.
Rebecca
Not much of a story here. But diverting nonetheless.
Rachel
Not a bad story, but I found it somewhat dull.
Marianne
The usual romantic cliches. Nice easy read.
Darrth
Darrth marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Gethsy
Gethsy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Nenya
Nenya marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Rogue In My Arms (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • Golden Girl
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • Skylark (Company of Rogues, #11)
  • A Forbidden Love
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)
  • Scandal of the Season (The Spinster Club, #4)
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • Almost a Princess
  • The Accidental Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot...more
More about Candace Camp...
The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1) The Courtship Dance (The Matchmakers #4) The Bridal Quest (The Matchmakers #2) The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3) Impulse