Start by marking “An Independent Woman” as Want to Read:
An Independent Woman

An Independent Woman (Women and Men #1)

Only one person ever treated Juliana Holcott with anything other than disdain--Nicholas Barre, the orphaned heir to the estate where she spent her childhood. And when wild, rebellious Nick left home, Juliana was left to fend for herself.

Forced to seek employment as a lady's companion, Juliana has resigned herself to a life of lonely independence...until Nick's innocent att
Published September 17th 2012 by Harlequin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about An Independent Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Independent Woman

Belinda Kroll
This is my first Candace Camp and I picked it up because I have been on the hunt for A Hidden Heart for my mother. The other Candace Camp books didn't interest me, but the title intrigued me. This book was a fun, quick read, that had little history and the right amount of romance.

The selling point of this book is the description of Juliana and Nick. Admittedly, at the beginning I tired of Juliana's constant wondering "Will he remember me? Won't he remember me? What if I don't meet his expectatio
Viri
Apr 04, 2016 Viri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Francamente fue demasiado lento, las cosas pasaban cada mil años y soy de esas personas que les gusta que las cosas se digan sin tanto preámbulo. Aparte de que el asesino fue obvio a morir no me gusto. Los protagonistas decían no quererse pero s la de menos se besaban y la declaración de amor fue totalmente increíble, (no en buena forma) así que ñeeeee...
❀angela
Mar 01, 2017 ❀angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, earl, romance
Kinda boring.
Lexie
The synopsis makes this sound a bit more mystery laden then it is. The murder takes place about 2/3rds of the way in, before that the book is pretty much follows typical lines.

I enjoyed this book, I got through it in about 3 hours and even for a romance that's rather quick for me. It keeps up a slick pace, not slowing down after the intial chapter or so of obligatory flashbacks to how the two met, their childhood problems etc. I had some trouble grasping why the author felt she needed to tell us
RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver❤️
27yo debutante's companion sees her childhood best friend again after he left his family estate 15 years ago. He is now lord of his family estate & is as eager as heroine to renew their friendship. Getting fired from her employment due to her employer's disapproval of her r/s with Hero induces him to propose a marriage of convenience with her. Heroine cautiously agrees to it after he outlines the platonic nature of their marriage even though she wishes it wasn't so. Their burgeoning sexual a ...more
Qtpham85
I hate to say it, but it was kinda boring...until the end when the mystery gets solved.
Holley
Mar 12, 2017 Holley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow, I didn't like it as much as others by this author. The murder mystery part was pretty secondary to the plot, but that isn't unusual for a romance. The hero and heroine had a rough past, but they were likeable characters. i can't put my finger on anything in particular, it just seemed like it could be better. I will continue to read other works by this author because this is the first book I haven't really loved.
kris
Apr 24, 2014 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Juliana and Nicholas were bffs back in the day; they haven't seen each other for 15 years. Due to Nicholas's attentions, Juliana gets fired, and they end up engaged. AND THEN, MURDER. And feelings, but those are less important because of MURDER.

1. This book is basically mediocre. A lot of the standard writing issues: more telling than showing; some repeated information; a reliance upon ridiculous metaphors that are mostly hilarity and nonsense.

One of the things that really bothered me, however,
Julie
Dec 07, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Independent Woman written by Candace Camp and published by Harlequin was published in 2006. There are 397 pages.

Juliana Holcott and Nicholas Barre lived together as children, both were taken in by relatives due to dire circumstances. When Nicholas was sixteen he left and Juliana had to fend for herself. As adults ,Nicholas became the heir and Juliana became a paid companion. After years of apart the childhood friends are reunited. When Nicholas goes out of his way to spend time with his old
Diandra Fernandes
Jeanne
Feb 18, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adriana Fogaça
Amores Ousados 02
Conquista
Candace Camp

Atualmente, tenho um grande receio de Romances Históricos.

Normalmente é uma embromação sem tamanho, não que a Conquista não seja, mas pelo menos é interessante em algumas passagens.

Não é nenhuma 8° maravilha do mundo, mas há momentos, principalmente na última parte que é empolgante, onde até é possível perceber a adrenalina fluir.

Se vc for fã, de romances históricos, acho que pode, até adorar.

Pra mim é razoável.

Por isso dou 3 estrelas.
Katherine
This is not a bad story just it kind of drags. The hero and heroine are likable enough and their characters are described well. Things are repeated over and over I found my self skimming some pages to get back to something interesting. I would like to read the next in the series Eleanor is a fun character.
penelopewanders
According to fantastic fiction this is the first in the series... even though on Camp's website and on Goodreads this is listed as the second. Weird,now we'll have to see if I agree when I read the second. Good read, even if the "I love him/her but he/she just wants to be friends" goes on a bit too long.
Annabelle Morehouse
Candace Camp always delivers. Her strong minded woman and protective and strong willed male characters never fail to enchant me. This book was no exception and I will be rereading this one in the future. There is always a strong plot line to her stories and insta-love is something you will not find in her books. It is for that reason she will always be a favorite.
Vasso Chatzimanoli
Σε μια εποχή που η γυναίκα επιβάλλεται να είναι προσκολλημένη σ'ενα αρσενικό η ηρωϊδα μας ανακαλύπτει τη χρυσή τομή κ κρατάει την ανεξαρτησία της.Η Κάντις Κάμπ εξυφαίνει άλλη μία υπέροχη ιστορία γεμάτη σπιρτόζικους διαλόγους και αστείες συπτώσεις μαζί με μερικά όχι κ τόσο αθώα ατυχήματα.
Kikkasole
Una lettura a tinte rosa. E questo lo sapevo. Poi succede .... E la lettura assume tinte talmente gialle che giuro sentivo questa musica ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WIfg...

Comunque ci tengo a dire che avevo capito tutto e subito ....ma sono stata zitta per non fare la saputella XD
Stephanie Williams
Oh wow I loved it, can't wait for the next book. Julie n Nicholas belonged together..
Jun 09, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was a good storyline and the characters were interesting over all. But there seemed to be a lot of repeating in the story and it didn't get really intense until right at the end.
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Not much of a story here. But diverting nonetheless.
Stephanie Ward
Jul 29, 2012 Stephanie Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have reread this book so many times I can't count. I love this story. Camp is an amazing storyteller. she paints a vivid picture and creates great stories. you wont be disappointed!
Judith Wrinkle
Jan 05, 2014 Judith Wrinkle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fast........simple, read in two days...........spicy and relaxing.
Marianne
Jun 02, 2013 Marianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The usual romantic cliches. Nice easy read.
Deb
Oct 24, 2008 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: candace-camp
Good read, sympathetic characters but not much sense of history.
Oct 06, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great non thinking, take you away book.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story, but I found it somewhat dull.
Kat
Jul 18, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Promising start with interesting characters, but the story was too shallow and didn't really go anywhere.
Serena Miles
Oct 27, 2016 Serena Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
libro sencillo sin ninguna trama complicada y que se lee rapido, me ha gustado la forma en que reaccionan sus personajes principales ante las complicaciones que les surgen.

7/10
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Apr 21, 2016 11:19AM
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Golden Girl
  • The Pleasure Trap (Trap, #3)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • Skylark (Company of Rogues, #11)
  • Whisper of Scandal (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #1)
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • The Accidental Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #2)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • Something Scandalous (The Spinster Club, #3)
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot
More about Candace Camp...

Women and Men (2 books)
  • A Dangerous Man (Women and Men, #2)