Start by marking “Shadows at Sunset” as Want to Read:
Shadows at Sunset

Shadows at Sunset

House of Shadows
The house on Sunset Boulevard has witnessed everything: from the infamous murder-suicide of a '50s starlet and her lover, to the drug-fueled commune in the '60s, to the anguish of its present owner, Jilly Meyer, who is struggling to preserve the house and what's left of her wounded family.

Man of Shadows
Coltrane is a liar, a con man and a threat to everythin
Published September 17th 2012 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows at Sunset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows at Sunset

Alex is The Romance Fox
Continuing on my Anne Stuart moment, I began reading Shadows at Sunset, another one of my ever favorite books by this author. She has such an incredible way of writing…she pulls you in and you are hooked….you have to finish the book…you have to know what happens next….

From the first page you are drawn into the story of Coltrane and Jilly, the daughter of one of the most odious men in Hollywood.
Coltrane is Jilly’s father’s lawyer and he has an hidden agenda….bent on destroying the Meyer family t
Crista
First off, thanks to Lady Danielle for this recommendation!

Shadows at Sunset has something in it for everyone. Technically it's categorized as romantic suspense, but oh let me tell you, it's so much more than just suspense. Stuart takes the paranormal leap in this one by giving us a ghost story within the main story, and then gives us an excellent secondary romance on the side to boot! Only a skilled author can give you three separate stories within a book that's 376 pages and do it well. Anne S
-Ya
Dec 25, 2015 -Ya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5-stars
There are quite a few interesting elements in the book - haunted house, revenge, ruthless hero, amoral villain, secondary romance, murder mystery. But the dialogue between two main characters, Jilly and Coltrane is so cold that I have a hard time connecting to their story. Not to mention Jilly annoys me from the start. Not Stuart’s best.
Noelle
Another hit from Anne Stuart! At first when I started this book and I realized that ghosts were going to making an apperince in this story I was kinda put off, but they really do add to the story (kinda have a story of thier own too) and to the mystery.

Jillian (h) is the rock that holds her siblings toghether and La Casa de Sombras-House of Shadows- and infamous the old mansion that has been in their faimily for year. It was the site of a murder-suicide of fading film star Brenda de Lorillard an
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this book. The hero is not a nice man but at least the heroine stood up to him and was aware all along that he was conning her somehow. I don't like mean heroes when the heroine has no chance against him. The secondary characters were great. I like Rachel Ann and her story and loved Rico. The two ghosts were also very sweet and I loved how he loved her. The whole story was very readable and my only real complaint is the ending was very rushed. (view spoiler) ...more
MBR
There is one thing you can always count on when you pick up an Anne Stuart. The fact that she draws you in to a web of deceit, lies, desire, explosive passion and an ending that would shake you to the very core when you are done is the very reason I keep coming back for her books even with a ton of reading material to choose from. And Shadows at Sunset proved to be just that sort of read, a story that I completely lost myself in as Anne Stuart wove her brand of magic with Coltrane and Jilly and ...more
Susan (the other Susan)
Not your usual Anne Stuart. I found it charming. Yes, charming. Go figure.
Julija
The only way I can describe Shadows at Sunset is anticlimactic. The summary promised a murder, a house, and a con man threatening the heroine's life. Only the house was delivered.

Sure, the con man was there. And he even had the revenge angle. At least in the beginning. But then he actually never did anything? At all? Well, except lust after the heroine.

Then, there is the murder. Two of them, to be exact. And one of them resulting in ghosts, which I honestly just didn't see the point of? It's lik
Kit★
Oct 29, 2010 Kit★ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, paranormal
I wasn't planning on reading this book anytime soon, but I was stuck without the book that I was reading, and needed something to fill the temporary void. So this one was on my shelf, collecting dust, and for whatever reason, I picked it up. I'm actually glad I got around to reading it finally, because it was a pretty good story, and a fast read for me too. I'm marking it as paranormal only because of the two ghost characters, Ted and Brenda. Otherwise there's not much paranormal about this book ...more
A. Bookzilla.
3.5

Okay, so I have a thing... about the gothic novel. This thing being that these are my favorite stories. So, obviously, when a book flat out claims in its blurb that it's a "gothic tale", I expect it to live up to that claim.

This may have affected my rating a lot, because the book is far from it. The ghost story did nothing for it, either. I didn't like that aspect of the story at all.

Coltrane wants revenge, and he will stop at nothing to get it. I didn't think Coltrane was bad, and I could ac
Nath
Caity
Jul 15, 2011 Caity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So...
I thought this book was going soooo welll... a kick-ass, i-do-what-i-need-to (if maybe a little emotionally unstable) female lead, a nasty villain, and a romantic suspense fit for the big screen...not to mention A FREAKIN MANSION as the basic setting...but then i got to the end(ish). and my kick-ass, i-do-what-i-need-to main character started to sound a HELLL of a lot like a WIMPY damsel in distress. and the villain got COMICALLY bad --i think our author got A BIT carried away.
*sigh* and t
Gail
Yet another one of Stuart's "patented" bad boys that she does so well. The heroine is the oldest child of a horrible man. She lives, basically, to thwart her father, and to save this old, falling-down Hollywood mansion she inherited from Dad's Mom, which she only gets to keep as long as she and her siblings live there. Her brother is a weak man who is desperate for Daddy's approval, and her baby sister has been in and out of rehab her whole life. The hero is tracking down his mother's murderer, ...more
Catty-cat
Oct 07, 2013 Catty-cat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was alright, I am always searching for a Anne Stuart as good as " into the fire" but I never find it :(.
Didn't really care about ghosts or Rachel-Ann but it was refreshing to have one of her heroine so strong because most of them (imo) are some virgin wimpy ninny.
Pamela(AllHoney)
A story of vengeance as only Anne Stuart can write. Coltrane is after revenge against the man who killed his mother. He finds the opportunity for the revenge through his daughter, Jilly.

Probably not one of Anne Stuart's best, in my humble opinion but still worth reading and enjoying.

Jessica
Delightfully wackadoo. Old Hollywood ghosts in the haunted mansion that the heroine lives in. Semi-villainous hero (though less so than a lot of Anne Stuart's heroes). Family dynamics straight out of a soap opera. All around, a pretty fun time.
Hannah
Meh. A bit too melodramatic for my tastes. I would have given it one star if it weren't for the ghosts. Give them their own book, please. They were awesome. The rest of the book was like a Friday night Lifetime movie from the 90s. Everything is just so....cliche. The characters are assigned stereotypical dramatic roles and they stick to them, annoyingly so. It's all very formulated. But I've discovered that that's how this author writes. And there's nothing wrong with that, because obviously mil ...more
Alex Ronk
Ya les he mencionado que comienzo a tener problema con este tipo de historias... es DEMASIADO PREDECIBLE desde la sinopsis resulta fácil saber de qué va todo y honestamente pensé que si me creaba esa idea no podría leerlo por lo que decidí darle el beneficio de la duda y leerlo... después de todo la autora parece no ser del todo mala y creo firmemente que no lo es, solo que esta historia es sencilla y predecible de inicio a fin (gracias a Dios que es corta)

Le rescato que algunos diálogos sin int
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
Mar 30, 2008 graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Anne Stuart fans who have to read all her books.
Shelves: romance
I picked this up looking for a romantic suspense novel, sadly it was lacking in both aspects. I did find it an entertaining book that was a nice, light escape, but I really was looking for more suspense. This was more light mystery, and even that was easy to figure out early on. I think Ms. Stuart took too much time in the beginning with Coltrane and Jilly, and I never felt they liked each other much, let alone loved each other by the end. I liked them well enough but wished for more romance wi ...more
Sara
Apr 23, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es la primera historia que leo de esta autora y espero conseguir alguna otra.

Me ha gustado bastante la trama principal y la secundaria, así como el desarrollo de la historia y sus giros argumentales, sobre todo con los cambios que sufren los personajes. Un punto a favor fue el carácter paranormal dado a la historia y el por qué de ello, además de que la autora lo coloca de forma que afecte e influya en la historia principal.

Un punto en contra fue la relación de ambos protagonistas, siento que f
Rashika (is tired)
LadyCalico
I read this book because it was in a pile a friend gave me for free and I read anything that's free. I was fully prepared to hate it since I hate, hate, hate romantic novels, but surprisingly I liked this book. Although it looked like a crappy romance I found it to be more of a suspense novel. Very few authors have the guts to create their heroine's father as evil and irredeemable as Jackson--unless they are planning to make her insane. The bad boy was more interesting and complex than your usua ...more
Geovanna Maya
Jan 13, 2014 Geovanna Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia increíble, llena de misterio y romance.
Me encantaron ambos protagonistas y sus cosas pasadas, sobre todo los sentimientos contradictorios de nuestro protagonista (me enamore) fue increíble como poco a poco se van conociendo sus facetas y su misterio, y más el romance con la protagonista.
El romance me fascino, fue increíble tanto en los personajes principales como en los secundarios.
Al culminar la historia estuvo bien, siento que falto algo pero la verdad es que fue genial a pesar d
Kathy Anne
Sep 22, 2011 Kathy Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread

Another Anne Stuart Ghost book,since these ghost books of hers are some of my first reads(they were my Mom`s and my Grama`s)I am thinking this is where I got my love for Ghosts.
This is the story of an old LA mansion that had a few murders commited there,and the story of an evil Father and his 3 grown children trying to cope with his evil ways.I really liked this story and give it a solid 5*
Melissa
This is a bit different from my normal reads but overall it was good. I find that I like Anne Stuart's anti-heroes. I found myself just as curious as Jilly to find out what Coltrane really wanted from her. I hated her sister at first for her part in Jilly's failed marriage but then I found myself feeling sorry for her. I enjoyed the secondary romance for her. The ghosts were an odd but entertaining touch.
Darla Stokes
Nov 21, 2013 Darla Stokes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that kept this from being a 5-star read for me was the ghosts. I'm not a fan of ghosts, and they didn't feel necessary to me. Still, it didn't spoil the story. Lots of mystery, intrigue, and romance. Anne Stuart is always worth reading.
Lua
Sep 22, 2013 Lua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I liked it, not exceedingly, enough to get to the end on good pace. There are books of Anne Stuart that give me chills of excitements, that make me say she is absolutely my favorite author. This one didn’t hit that high with me, but it was good enough anyway.
Nanette
Nov 24, 2015 Nanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i might be done with anne stuart. so many of her books are plots and characters that are intriguing but don't live up to their promise.

this one wasn't bad, just not very good and i find myself skimming her books now. try linda howard instead.
  • The Best Man
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Secret Admirer
  • Worth the Trip
  • Wild Encounter
  • Edge of Survival
  • Hot Shot
  • River of Eden
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • Breaking The Rules
  • Nightfall
  • When One Night Isn't Enough (Madrin Memorial Hospital, #1)
  • Smoke in the Wind
  • Suspicious Ways
  • Going the Distance
  • Wild Orchids
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...

“He tightened his grip on her hand and pulled her toward him in the darkness. He knew exactly how she’d respond, her other hand coming up to push him away, her hand touching the bare, hot skin of his chest so that she drew back in surprise, long enough for him to wrap her tightly against his chest, trapping her hand between them. He knew she’d try to jerk her head away when he slid his hand into her hair and tilted her face back for his kiss. And he knew she’d open her mouth for him.
What he hadn’t guessed was what it would feel like. [...]
He hadn’t known a mouth could feel like that. That a woman, an argumentative, reluctant woman could feel so hot in his arms, so incredibly right that his monumental self control could start to slip.”
1 likes