Shadows at Sunset

Shadows at Sunset

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  492 ratings  ·  24 reviews
House of Shadows
The house on Sunset Boulevard has witnessed everything: from the infamous murder-suicide of a '50s starlet and her lover, to the drug-fueled commune in the '60s, to the anguish of its present owner, Jilly Meyer, who is struggling to preserve the house and what's left of her wounded family.

Man of Shadows
Coltrane is a liar, a con man and a threat to everythin...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2000)

Crista
First off, thanks to Lady Danielle for this recommendation!

Shadows at Sunset has something in it for everyone. Technically it's categorized as romantic suspense, but oh let me tell you, it's so much more than just suspense. Stuart takes the paranormal leap in this one by giving us a ghost story within the main story, and then gives us an excellent secondary romance on the side to boot! Only a skilled author can give you three separate stories within a book that's 376 pages and do it well. Anne S...more
Noelle
Another hit from Anne Stuart! At first when I started this book and I realized that ghosts were going to making an apperince in this story I was kinda put off, but they really do add to the story (kinda have a story of thier own too) and to the mystery.

Jillian (h) is the rock that holds her siblings toghether and La Casa de Sombras-House of Shadows- and infamous the old mansion that has been in their faimily for year. It was the site of a murder-suicide of fading film star Brenda de Lorillard an...more
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this book. The hero is not a nice man but at least the heroine stood up to him and was aware all along that he was conning her somehow. I don't like mean heroes when the heroine has no chance against him. The secondary characters were great. I like Rachel Ann and her story and loved Rico. The two ghosts were also very sweet and I loved how he loved her. The whole story was very readable and my only real complaint is the ending was very rushed. (view spoiler)...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
There is one thing you can always count on when you pick up an Anne Stuart. The fact that she draws you in to a web of deceit, lies, desire, explosive passion and an ending that would shake you to the very core when you are done is the very reason I keep coming back for her books even with a ton of reading material to choose from. And Shadows at Sunset proved to be just that sort of read, a story that I completely lost myself in as Anne Stuart wove her brand of magic with Coltrane and Jilly and...more
Nath
Alex is The Romance Fox
Continuing on my Anne Stuart moment, I began reading Shadows at Sunset, another one of my ever favorite books by this author. She has such an incredible way of writing…she pulls you in and you are hooked….you have to finish the book…you have to know what happens next….

From the first page you are drawn into the story of Coltrane and Jilly, the daughter of one of the most odious men in Hollywood.
Coltrane is Jilly’s father’s lawyer and he has an hidden agenda….bent on destroying the Meyer family t...more
Kit★
I wasn't planning on reading this book anytime soon, but I was stuck without the book that I was reading, and needed something to fill the temporary void. So this one was on my shelf, collecting dust, and for whatever reason, I picked it up. I'm actually glad I got around to reading it finally, because it was a pretty good story, and a fast read for me too. I'm marking it as paranormal only because of the two ghost characters, Ted and Brenda. Otherwise there's not much paranormal about this book...more
Caity
So...
I thought this book was going soooo welll... a kick-ass, i-do-what-i-need-to (if maybe a little emotionally unstable) female lead, a nasty villain, and a romantic suspense fit for the big screen...not to mention A FREAKIN MANSION as the basic setting...but then i got to the end(ish). and my kick-ass, i-do-what-i-need-to main character started to sound a HELLL of a lot like a WIMPY damsel in distress. and the villain got COMICALLY bad --i think our author got A BIT carried away.
*sigh* and t...more
Gail
Yet another one of Stuart's "patented" bad boys that she does so well. The heroine is the oldest child of a horrible man. She lives, basically, to thwart her father, and to save this old, falling-down Hollywood mansion she inherited from Dad's Mom, which she only gets to keep as long as she and her siblings live there. Her brother is a weak man who is desperate for Daddy's approval, and her baby sister has been in and out of rehab her whole life. The hero is tracking down his mother's murderer,...more
Ari Bookzilla.
3.5

Okay, so I have a thing... about the gothic novel. This thing being that these are my favorite stories. So, obviously, when a book flat out claims in its blurb that it's a "gothic tale", I expect it to live up to that claim.

This may have affected my rating a lot, because the book is far from it. The ghost story did nothing for it, either. I didn't like that aspect of the story at all.

Coltrane wants revenge, and he will stop at nothing to get it. I didn't think Coltrane was bad, and I could ac...more
Catty-cat
It was alright, I am always searching for a Anne Stuart as good as " into the fire" but I never find it :(.
Didn't really care about ghosts or Rachel-Ann but it was refreshing to have one of her heroine so strong because most of them (imo) are some virgin wimpy ninny.
Susan
Not your usual Anne Stuart. I found it charming. Yes, charming. Go figure.
Diane
This book holds up very well. It manages three sets of heroes and heroines: an alpha pair, a beta pair and a couple of ghosts. Zachariah Redemption Coltrane is working as the soulless right-hand man to a thorough villain. Coltrane wants to destroy Jackson Meyers and is willing to use Meyers' daughters to do so - but he falls for one daughter against his will and makes an astounding discovery about the other. Much of the action takes place in a crumbling Hollywood mansion where, half a century ag...more
Erin H
faeriemyst
Mar 30, 2008 faeriemyst rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Anne Stuart fans who have to read all her books.
Shelves: romance
I picked this up looking for a romantic suspense novel, sadly it was lacking in both aspects. I did find it an entertaining book that was a nice, light escape, but I really was looking for more suspense. This was more light mystery, and even that was easy to figure out early on. I think Ms. Stuart took too much time in the beginning with Coltrane and Jilly, and I never felt they liked each other much, let alone loved each other by the end. I liked them well enough but wished for more romance wi...more
Rashika (is tired)
Geovanna Maya
Una historia increíble, llena de misterio y romance.
Me encantaron ambos protagonistas y sus cosas pasadas, sobre todo los sentimientos contradictorios de nuestro protagonista (me enamore) fue increíble como poco a poco se van conociendo sus facetas y su misterio, y más el romance con la protagonista.
El romance me fascino, fue increíble tanto en los personajes principales como en los secundarios.
Al culminar la historia estuvo bien, siento que falto algo pero la verdad es que fue genial a pesar d...more
Lola4
I read this book because it was in a pile a friend gave me for free and I read anything that's free. I was fully prepared to hate it since I hate, hate, hate romantic novels, but surprisingly I liked this book. Although it looked like a crappy romance I found it to be more of a suspense novel. Very few authors have the guts to create their heroine's father as evil and irredeemable as Jackson--unless they are planning to make her insane. The bad boy was more interesting and complex than your usua...more
Kathy Anne
Reread

Another Anne Stuart Ghost book,since these ghost books of hers are some of my first reads(they were my Mom`s and my Grama`s)I am thinking this is where I got my love for Ghosts.
This is the story of an old LA mansion that had a few murders commited there,and the story of an evil Father and his 3 grown children trying to cope with his evil ways.I really liked this story and give it a solid 5*
Pamela(AllHoney)
A story of vengeance as only Anne Stuart can write. Coltrane is after revenge against the man who killed his mother. He finds the opportunity for the revenge through his daughter, Jilly.

Probably not one of Anne Stuart's best, in my humble opinion but still worth reading and enjoying.

Darla Stokes
The only thing that kept this from being a 5-star read for me was the ghosts. I'm not a fan of ghosts, and they didn't feel necessary to me. Still, it didn't spoil the story. Lots of mystery, intrigue, and romance. Anne Stuart is always worth reading.
Lua
I liked it, not exceedingly, enough to get to the end on good pace. There are books of Anne Stuart that give me chills of excitements, that make me say she is absolutely my favorite author. This one didn’t hit that high with me, but it was good enough anyway.
Noodle
2/10: Managed half the book, tempted to read more but just couldn't get there.
Loren
Loren marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lauren Wildenger
Lauren Wildenger marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rey
Rey marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • The Best Man
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Cullen's Bride (March Madness) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #914)
  • Secret Admirer
  • Wild Encounter
  • Smoke in the Wind (Harlequin Presents, #1104)
  • Nightfall
  • Breaking The Rules (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #587)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Worth the Trip
  • Don't Look Back
  • When One Night Isn't Enough (Madrin Memorial Hospital, #1)
  • Wild Orchids
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Satisfaction
  • Sex, Lies and Contracts
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus...more
More about Anne Stuart...
Black Ice (Ice, #1) Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1) Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2) Ice Blue (Ice, #3)

“He tightened his grip on her hand and pulled her toward him in the darkness. He knew exactly how she’d respond, her other hand coming up to push him away, her hand touching the bare, hot skin of his chest so that she drew back in surprise, long enough for him to wrap her tightly against his chest, trapping her hand between them. He knew she’d try to jerk her head away when he slid his hand into her hair and tilted her face back for his kiss. And he knew she’d open her mouth for him.
What he hadn’t guessed was what it would feel like. [...]
He hadn’t known a mouth could feel like that. That a woman, an argumentative, reluctant woman could feel so hot in his arms, so incredibly right that his monumental self control could start to slip.”
1 likes