Start by marking “The Wedding Group” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Group

The Wedding Group

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Cressy has grown up in a world of women, presided over by her artistic, eccentric grandfather. Rebelling against the wholesome values of home, she leaves, takes a job and meets David - a self-satisfied journalist tied to his mother's apron strings. Their mutual need for escape binds them together.
Published February 1st 2001 by Virago Press (UK) (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Group

Ali
Elizabeth Taylor’s tenth novel first published in 1968 is not among her best and yet I enjoyed it enormously and I think there is plenty in it that is still interesting.
The novel centres on Cressy – a young girl who has been brought up in an odd communal family, a sort of religious/artistic community, presided over by her grandfather Harry Bretton. Like several of the characters in this novel Cressy is somewhat isolated – she wants to escape her family.
“Time always went slowly for Cressy, now
E. Journey
No, not that Elizabeth Taylor. The other Elizabeth Taylor. These are a couple of published reactions when articles are written about that other Elizabeth, a British writer in the mid-1900s. Unfortunately, that shared name may be one big reason so many people have not heard of her. I, for instance, only discovered her, as I was googling for writers who write like Jane Austen.

Yes, she has been called the Jane Austen of the 50s and 60s by at least one other British novelist (award-winning Anita Bro
Barb
Oct 09, 2007 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: followers of weird religious cults and/or anyone thinking about marriage
Shelves: novel
What I learned from this book? People change. Don't be lazy. Don't eat too many éclairs.
Kay
Originally published in 1968, this is a gem in the tradition of Jane Austen: a domestic tragic-comedy, written with the understated wit and perception that British women have done so well over the years. There are two central characters: Midge, a middle-aged divorcee and Cressy, a 19-year-old girl who is trying to escape her family's life on a rural commune dominated by her artist grandfather.

Both women, though at the opposite ends of the scale when it comes to experience and resources, have mu
Pascale
Once again Elizabeth Taylor explores in almost painful detail the lives of various none-too-admirable characters within the London commuter belt, but this time she adds to the mix the hilarious description of a commune presided over by a successful but terribly vain painter who has complete ascendency over his daughters, son-in-laws and hangers-on. The only member of the tribe to dare rebel, Cressy, ends up marrying a journalist who still makes his home with his divorced mother. The girl, who ha ...more
SarahC
This is an interesting story of young adults and the families that encompass their lives. It was published in 1968, but it has a timeless atmosphere which makes it easy to imagine taking place in any time period. The main male character David comes from a family, traditional on the surface, but that has also experienced divorce and displacement. Still living at home, David ignores much of the extreme manipulation by his mother. Cressida, the young woman at the center of the story, has grown up i ...more
Yana Stajno
A wonderful book by an often overlooked writer- sharp, heartbreaking, funny, acute. 180 degree twists in destiny in a sentence. beautifully, savagely observed characters. makes me relieved not to have lived in the fifies, and not to live in a village.
"'Gallantry' is such a word,' Nell said, looking about her at all the dark-suited men. She had hauled herself up to a high stool by the bar, and her skirt was rucked up. David glanced at it, thought of telling her, but could not be bothered.
Lesley
I enjoyed this much more than A Game of Hide and Seek, even though, considered objectively, it's probably just as depressing as a story. There just seems a little more acerbity that balances it out.
Gina
after loving taylor's 'angel' SO MUCH i've found her other novels to be quite uneven. this one started off wonderfully but dragged about halfway through.
Gobasso
A wonderfully understated author who reminds me of the novel of manners ala Jane Austen. How we choose who we marry, why we choose them and the consequences on the families involved are the subject of this novel. While the reader knows that this marriage will not end happily ever after, Ms Taylor's characterizations and subtle dialogue are well worth the read.
Janet
I loved the writing, the wit and the characterisations but not the ending. I was so hungry to find out more and felt that such a soft ending left way too much for the reader to deduce. Maybe I am lazy though, so do read it. I am looking forward to reading other Taylor books
kymdotcom
Oh, I was so looking forward to finding out how this book was going to end, because it had to be disastrous one way or another, as is every Elizabeth Taylor ending. And it was, but in such a very restrained manner that it makes one shiver to image the final ensuing scene.
JoLynn
Wonderfully written story of lonely people thrown together in different ways. Reminded me many times of Barbara Pym.
Sophie
Slow and sad, the importance of the everyday and the strings that bind.
Eileen
meh. I find it hard to identify with anything happening here.
Mandy
Another gem from Elizabeth Taylor
Caitlin
Really 4.5 stars; nearly perfect.
Rambler
Rambler marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Deniz Şenkan
Deniz Şenkan is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Marnie Wellar
Marnie Wellar marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
  • The Land of Spices
  • No Signposts in the Sea
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • Miss Mole (A Virago modern classic)
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • One Fine Day
  • Marriage
  • The Skin Chairs
  • The Constant Nymph
Elizabeth Taylor (née Coles) was a popular English novelist and short story writer. Elizabeth Coles was born in Reading, Berkshire in 1912. She was educated at The Abbey School, Reading, and worked as a governess, as a tutor and as a librarian.

In 1936, she married John Micael, a businessman. She lived in Penn, Buckinghamshire, for almost all her married life.

Her first novel, At Mrs. Lippincote's,
More about Elizabeth Taylor...
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont Angel In a Summer Season At Mrs Lippincote's A Game of Hide and Seek (Virago Modern Classics)