Start by marking “The Whispering Room” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Room

The Whispering Room

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Work is a welcome refuge for New Orleans homicide detective Evangeline Theroux. Feeling suffocated by her new baby, in whose eyes she sees only her dead husband, she throws herself into a high-profile murder case.

Reclusive writer Lena Saunders offers Evangeline a provocative theory about the crime: it is the work of a lunatic vigilante. Lena spins the sordid story of Ruth
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whispering Room

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 4.0
*Genre* Thriller/Suspense

*Review*

New Orleans homicide detective Evangeline Theroux has hit a rough spot in her life. She is a widow after her husband Johnny Theroux, who was also a New Orleans police officer, was shot three times and killed in what appeared to be a drug hit.

She has a 5 month old baby who she feels disconnected from. Not that she’s a bad mother. She’s definitely not. She just feels that she hasn’t done enough to earn the love of the precocious little boy and he looks
Pamela
The Whispering Room is a story of pure evil. Evil that is lurking around every corner which has now landed on the doorstep of Detective Evangeline Theroux’s (“Evie”) home.

Evie’s a highly decorated detective with the New Orleans Police Department (“NOPD”). She’s tough and smart and once she gets her hooks into something, she won’t let go. As tough as she is, she’s having difficulty dealing with the death of her husband, Johnny, a year ago. Johnny was also a detective with the NOPD and his murder
Vickie
I can't get over how fast I read this book! When I hear the term 'page-turner' I tend to scoff for the most part. Not many books do that for me, but this one fits the term to a honkin' big T! If I could have just stayed in one place and only read, I'd have finished it in a few hours. It was my bedside book, so I had to sleep or get up and function for the day and had to set it aside for the three nights/mornings it took.
I almost didn't let it stay my bedside book as the beginning is hyper-spook
Nancy Steinle gummel
The Whispering Room be Amanda Stevens was a surprise. I didn't think i would like it, but i enjoyed it emensely. It starts out as a slow horror story but it doesn't rely on horror alone. It brings in a crime element and phychotic people. Evangeline, a new mom to DJ, is a police detective in New Orleans, who is still grieving her murdered husband Johnny. She's still searching for his killer when she's called to the grisly scene of murdered attorney Paul Churchill. When she and her partner Mitchel ...more
Hillary Pincus
I'm back at it! This was an enjoyable read. A few too many extra characters in my mind, but good twists to compensate. An easy 3.5 stars.
Deb Coy
New Orleans homicide detective Evangeline Theroux is a recent widow with a new baby. She throws herself into the crime of a mother who brutally murdered her male children in an insane effort to root out an "evil" gene. But the mother's daughters survived and grew to adulthood, but one is carrying on her mother's grisly work. Very good read. Absorbing, a page turner.

Jen
I enjoyed the suspense, but the writing was definitely the most basic way to tell a story. At times, the clichés started bugging me. Like, trying to describe Evangeline's pain at losing her husband, or her love for her son. I wasn't convinced. Whatever - it was a fun read, a quick read, & I liked the twist.
Kristi
Amanda Stevens manages to creep me out and give me chills every time I read of her stories. That's a pretty big feat.... Awesome lady :)
Cindy
Finished! I stayed up until 1:00 am finishing it - and on a school night too!

In general I liked the book but could be very nit pickie about it.

**Spoilers**

I had it figured out after Chapter One that Evangeline would be the missing baby. Sometimes the bookcovers give too much away. If she hadn't been...that would have been the twist.

I was surprised about Lena/Rebecca/Ruth twist and it was great!

The part about her parents divorce seemed to be thrown in for some reason. If she wanted her paren
Sherry
It’s not often in these contemporary times that I find books that have that true gothic feel to them;” The Whispering Room” is going to be numbered in that short list.

Set in New Orleans with Evangeline Theroux the lead character; a Homicide
Detective who has all the strength’s and flaws of a modern woman. After
recently becoming widow, a new murder case opens up that is starting to
connect the death of her Police Detective husband with unknown
criminal elements. If that is not enough to whet y
Rob Bliss
This was knda boring. Very cliche! As though the author took her characters (and dialogue) from television. The annoying female cliche cop ACTUALLY SAYS (twice, while interrogating 2 different people): "But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

WOW! Dragnet! Officer Friday delivered a better line.

The snake angle was fine, different and new, but it was such a fast read becuase it was soooo cliche and boring. I dont care about most characters in genre fiction, but when I start to hate
Kristen
Well, I finished this in one day, so I think it's safe to say I enjoyed this book!

New Orleans homicide detective Evangeline Theroux is trying to submerge her devastation over the death of her husband, and her fears that she is incapable of loving her infant son as much as she should, with a single-minded focus on her work.

When a high-profile and fairly bizarre murder case comes up, Evie dives in, but when a tip from an unusual source suggests a connection between the current murder and another h
Darcy
This was a great book that sucked you in right from the start. I really felt sorry for Evangeline, she had been going through some rough stuff. She seemed sort of disconnected to her life, like she hadn't really dealt with her grief over Johnny and wasn't sure what to do about JD. That all changed over a seemingly random call to a crime scene.

While investigating this crime she learned more than she ever wanted to about her husband, her family, and the secrets that families have. It seemed like a
Barbara ★
Detective Evangeline Theroux and her partner Mitchell Hebert have snagged a bizarre murder. A prominent lawyer is found dead in an abandoned building on the wrong side of town bitten to death by snakebite. There is absolutely no chance that it is accidental. Strange incidents begin happening to Evangeline which somehow are connected to this crime scene. This book is full of religious zealots, psychopaths, psychiatric patients, cops and FBI agents. The constantly twisting plot and escalating susp ...more
Carol
A very good thriller. A dark mystery that keeps you wondering right up to the end. The story takes place in New Orleans. Detective Evangeline Theroux finds herself in the middle of a high-profile murder case.The cause of death was a snakebite. Now Theroux has to figure out who and why....
Daphne Dangerlove
This book was super creepy but classic Amanda Stevens with secrets a plenty and lots of plot twists. The only thing I missed was an awesome romance.
Heather
This was a great read. I really enjoyed Stevens' writing and the way it all tied in at the end. I have to admit that I had a suspicion of who the baby was about half way through the book but some of the revelations in this book I did NOT predict. The creepiness of the snakes and the random clues throughout were great. It kept my interest the whole time. I really felt for Evangeline when it came to the fears, the love, and the joy for her baby boy. The premise of this story was very creative and ...more
Shannon G
So for the most part this was a pretty good story, but I felt like this book is part of a larger story or series. There were several elements introduced -- in fact, characters go to great lengths to point them out and make a big deal about them -- and then nothing.

A romantic relationship was a bit of a surprise and felt rushed and a bit tacked on -- like perhaps it was something that built in the second or third (or slightly longer) story.

That being said, I do like the tension Amanda Stevens ma
Christina
Not the book's fault, just not my thing.
Stacy
I am totally hooked on Amanda Stevens now. The Whispering Room was fantastic. Just when you think you have things figured out, you don't. I second guessed myself right to the very end.
Maicie
Carolyn F.
Evangeline is a detective trying to get by after her husband was killed leaving her pregnant. She's trying to remain stoic but everyone else is calling her cold. A high powered lawyer is killed and she's trying to figure out who did it and if it had anything to do with her husband's murder. A HUGE mystery that's outside of her husband's case is also thrown in and it totally threw me for a loop. Great book. I've read her Graveyard Queen books and this one is just as good. I would recommend it.
Dee Dee Walker
I was home sick for the day and read this book in one sitting. It's an easy read which I needed since I was fuzzy headed. I thought the story was great. The twist and turns didn't seem contrived. I didn't figure out what was going on until well towards the end. Lately, I've been put off by bad dialouge. Nothing about this book irked me, including the dialouge. I even thought the plot was original. I would recommend this book/author for anyone who wants a slightly scary thriller. Enjoy!
Christine
A solid murder mystery/police procedural with a different sort of main character - a young, beautiful, recently widowed new mother, who is a petite spitfire of a Louisiana cop, investigating in the bayou. Creepy case that inevitably gets too personal for Evangeline. If you're squeamish about snakes (like me), be warned that snakes play a significant role in this book :o(
Cindi
When I first started this I was a little disappointed. In the end I liked it better than I thought I would. There were enough twists and turns to keep the plot going, but it wasn't difficult to follow. Good (not great) writing. Good mix of characters, but not so many and so many interconnected that you couldn't keep track of them. I would give 3.5 stars if I could.
Naomi
The book sucked me in from the beginning. I thought the ending was particularly interesting and had a nice twist that I didn't see coming. I am still trying to figure out how the cover to the book fits into the story though. I could think of several other things they could do to make the cover fit better. I will def. read more by this author in her mysteries series.
N.u.m.b S.S
عادة احب هذه النوعية من القصص .. غموض ، عنف ، اكشن يعني المفروض انها تخليني على الادج خاصة انها عن جريمة بشعة راح ضحيتها اطفال مالهم اي ذنب .. مع ذلك كانت القصة بالنسبة لي متوقعة ما فاجأتني كثير صحيح فيها اكثر من تويست بس كنت متوقعتها حتى قبل ما تحدث بمراحل .. مع ذلك الحق يقال اسلوب الكاتبة خلاني استمر بالقراءة .. لانها بسردها للقصة خلتني اعيش جو الاحداث صح
Debi
NLGR: Finished excellent book..all the twists and turns she adds to the story kept me interested and wanting more..smiles. I highly reccomment this book to anyone who love mystery,suspense,and a just a touch of romance..smiles. It made me laugh, cry, and just was creepy in some spots..this is a book that has it all and I give it 5 stars.
Rosa

This book kept me up till 3 in the morning. It had so many twists and turns I had to read all the way to the end to figure it out. This is one book that kept the clues well hidden. Every time I thought I had it, wrong she threw in a curve ball. If you want to read something that will keep you guessing then read this one'
Pat
The Whispering Room was a pleasant surprise...strong narrative, great atmosphere, a sympathetic yet believable protagonist, great suspense, and...I couldn't guess what was coming.
I'd recommend it to anyone who likes suspense. I also plan to read the rest of this author's books.
  • Damaged (Kate Lange #1)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater Trilogy #2)
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Without a Sound
  • And She Was
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)
  • The Screaming Room
  • In Silence
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • Sighs Matter
  • Delayed Diagnosis (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • Compulsion
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Thread of Fear (Glass Sisters, The #1)
  • Final Truth (Truth #4)
Amanda Stevens was born and raised in the foothills of the Ozarks, an area known for its folklore and superstition. She learned from an early age to fear black cats, ladders, and broken mirrors. A risk taker, she now resides with all three. She is also the mother of twins, a wannabe taphophile, and a collector of all things Alfred Hitchcock. When she’s not writing from her home in Houston, she lik ...more
More about Amanda Stevens...
The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2) The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5) The Devil's Footprints

“Not to Houston, anyway. It was hotter than hell in Houston, just like in New Orleans. If I move anywhere, it’ll be to someplace with snow, she thought wistfully as sweat trickled down her back.” 0 likes