One False Move

One False Move

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,914 ratings  ·  70 reviews

Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One False Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One False Move

K.D. Absolutely
I had a nice time reading this easy-to-read book. It's good for a weekend light read. I chose to read this book because it had so many copies in the second-hand bookstores and when I checked its average GR rating, it was 3.83 so it must not really be bad.

I thought that Alex Kava was a male and I so I thought that this book belonged to my category of guy literature in the same league as Robert Ludlum, Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham, etc. I was surprised to realize that Alex Kava was a she and this...more
Louise
Excellent Story...read it in one day.

From back cover:

"Melanie Starks and her seventeen-year-old son, Charlie, have been running one con job or another for as long as she can remember. Worried about Charlie, though, Melanie is ready to start over. Then her brother, Jared, reappears in her life.

Released on a technicality, Jared Barnett is just out of prison and feeling more invincible than ever. He has the perfect plan to rob a local Nebraska bank, but he needs Melanie's and Charlie's help. Feelin...more
Betty
ONE FALSE MOVE

Alex Kava

Mira
August 2004

Jared Barnett, a convicted rapist and killer, is saved from death row after an eyewitness recants his testimony. After Jared and his sleazy attorney, Max Kramer, spend several days “on tour” of the hard news talk shows, Jared returns to his home town of Omaha, Nebraska, and his family, which consists of an alcoholic, pill-popping mother, a younger sister, Melanie Starks, and her son, seventeen-year-old Charlie, who is immature, but very adept at stealing car...more
Silver
I do not normally read books of this type. Crime/Detective fiction, but I had this one on the shelf for a while, apparently something about it struck my interest at one point, so I figured I might as well read it.

The writing was about what one would expect for such books. It was mediocre. Not the worse thing I had ever read, but nor was it all that impressive. Though there where some things of which I think the author did well with the book. I thought her character development was pretty good. I...more
Connie
ONE FALSE MOVE by Alex Kava is 376 pages in paperback form.

Brief Description:

Ana T.
I had only read Alex Kava's Maggie O'Dell books before I decided to try this one. I found this one to be a very different type of story but also very enjoyable.

The story opens with a convicted criminal, Jared Barnett, being freed from prison on a technicality. The cops, the DA, his lawyer, everyone knows he is guilty but since the case against him is dismissed he walks out. The story follows Jared moves from then on, killing the man, whose testimony had put him behind bars, harassing the DA who...more
Diane
Jared Barnett got out of prison because of a coerced technicality. His attorney is a slime bag and into defending death row inmates as well as crack addicts.

Jarett's sister, Melanie and her son, Charlie have done one con after another to survive. Melanie's goal was to do anything it took to give her son a home.

When Jarett gets out of prison he reconnects with Melanie and Charlie then plans a bank job that should be a piece of cake but goes sour fast. I get where Melanie kind of gets pulled into...more
Reaman Elijah-dale
Definitely had a similar experience as the majority of the other reviews. Took only a couple of days from start to finish but enjoyed all of it. The author did really well with finishing a chapter that lead to the desire to see what happened in the next. Would recommend Kava to anybody who enjoys this genre
Ja Hawkins
Alex Kava is one of my favorite authors. Love all of her work! I started reading her books back in January of 2006. Every book of hers that I've read has kept me wanting more. Though this one is not part of the Maggie Odell series, it was still a great read!
Monica Akinyi Odhiambo
Good plot, good solid characters, so fast paced, kept thinking how horribly fast things got from bad to worse.And that ending was unexpected.Alex Kava remains a favorite of mine, I will always have time to read her novels.
yvette tramel
Jared Barnett is released from prison after his crooked attorney gets him off for murder, on a technicality. He immediately coerces his sister Melanie and her son Charlie in a bank robbery. Melanie and Charlie have been running small con jobs to survive. While robbing the bank, four people are killed and one injured and the robbery is botched. Charlie and Jared refuse to tell Melanie what happened. When Melanie finds out about the murders, she is left guessing who killed the four people.

I read t...more
Dawn
I was mostly enjoying this as I read it, but I realized after I finished it that I was disappointed. Most of the story is pretty good. I liked how the perspective changed to all the different characters. Despite that, I think there wasn't enough character development. Thinking about the book after I finished, I realized there were quite a few plot holes. I also found the ending to be anti-climactic. And the big "twist" at the end was not much of a twist at all and something I had figured out muc...more
Susan
Although this was pretty predictable, it was an entertaining thriller. I grew up in southeastern Nebraska so I was familiar with the setting for the book which added to my enjoyment. I would have rate this higher except for the language. In the Acknowledgements at the beginning of the book, the author states that her mother is a big fan despite the blood, violence and language in her books. I think the author should listen to her mother and tone down the language. Much of it was just unnecessary...more
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 2006.
Bobbie O'keefe

This one gripped me right away. Told in different viewpoints so I was able to get inside different heads and understand their motivations, and even care about them. It was never predictable, however; it kept moving but this reader could not tell where it was going next. It was on the gritty, thiller side which makes for some uneasy moments; some people have already been killed and some more lives are most likely to be ended as well. A well-crafted thriller served up with some surprises.
Margery
A previous author annoyed me by trying to create the atmosphere/milieu of Lincoln, Nebraska, by mentioning one street name - over and over. Alex Kava KNOWS my neighborhood! She is familiar with the flat brimmed hats of Sarpy County deputies, the "coffee pot"the truck stop owned by the Sapp Brothers and many other small details that I enjoyed. Unfortunately the crime was too brutal/graphic for me - great author but I don't like the genre in which she writes.
Kathy DeShong
The beginning of the book seemed slow coming together...maybe it was becasue I was expecting it to be a Maggie O'Dell novel. It wasn't. It had some of the familiar characters which made my mind think...hey, where's Maggie! I stuck with it and the last half was better than the first half. All ends were tied up in the end, but I had figured most of that out already. Looking forward to reading her next novel.
Meagan Chancellor
a little bit predictable, a little bit unrealistic but still a very good read. I loved the parts that read from the killer's point of view. Each thread of the story lead into each other with unconvincing and neat convenience, nevertheless, still worth the time taken to read
Evelyn
Melanie Starks and her son Charlie are coerced into robbing a bank by brother Jared. As she waits in the getaway car, six people are shot and they take off without any money. While on the run, the three kidnap a suspense writer and use his bestseller as their escape plan.

Not part of the Maggie O'Dell FBI series, but still a great suspense read. Very original plot. Highly Recommended.
Holly
Melanie Starks and her son, Charlie, have been running petty con jobs for as long as either can remember. Now, just as Melanie is ready to pull out and settle down, her brother, Jared Barnett, reenters their lives with a ballsy plan for the ultimate heist. Recently released after serving live years of a life sentence for murder, Jared is frighteningly high on the feeling o...more
Tasha
Another grocery store variety book I would never read at home but which was the best I could do with the books in the hostel exchange. This one was about a murderous rampage through the Midwest. It was entertaining enough that I could see why people read these kind of books, but also simple enough that I feel sad for people who don´t look past the checkout line for their literature.
Linda
Melanie drove me nuts! She's not stupid but at the same time she bloody well is. She is still very disturbed about her upbringing and talks about how it is a parents role to protect their children. All the while she is standing by while her sons life is going down the drain. I just could not relate and wanted to slap her upside the face for the first 260 pages!
Lisa
Had to read it--she's from here and this was a book based largely on an event that had recently occurred. It was fun to be able to picture exactly what Kava was talking about but a couple of times, I found errors which were offputting. Kava is not the best mystery writer but this one was good enough to keep me up late to finish it.
Purple Iris
I'm being generous. I would like to give this 2.5 stars. The pace was good and the story interesting enough to keep me reading, but I was disappointed in the end. There were too many things left unexplained, too many loose ends left dangling. I definitely prefer the O'Dell books.
Chrissy Owens
I LOVE Alex Kava's writing and never miss a single book by her ... except this one. I just didn't like it. I wasn't grabbed by it at any point up to the center, and so I never finished. I think I am just too attached to the Maggie O'Dell series to truly appreciate Kava's other novels.
Cheryl Prentiss
Another book by the author who writes the Maggie O'Dell books. This was NOT one of her Maggie books and I really did not like it. I did not like how the chapters were broken out and although the storyline was not unbelievable I found myself waiting for it to get over-with.
Zaczytanie
Zapraszamy do przeczytania recenzji tej książki na blogu Zaczytanie
Możecie ją znaleźć: >>>>>TU!<<<<<

I z góry dzięki za odwiedziny :)
Denise
Again Kava keeps you up at night reading. A stand on it's own book - out of the series - she keeps you reading! Basic Mystery with Kava's art of twist and turns. Ending that gives you a wow moment and leaves you wanting more in a good way.
Jessica Martinez
There were many times in this book that the lead female character was so stupid, I truly wanted her shot. Only finished it because I'd enjoyed another of the author's books so much, I expected this one to get better. It didn't.
Jan
Not on a very good roll with audiobooks at the moment. This one kepts skipping a few seconds through most of it So I did enjoy the story - but it would have been better if I hadn't kept missing tiny little bits...
The Book Addicts!: One False Move by Alex Kava 1 3 Jul 05, 2014 10:10AM
  • Killer Takes All
  • Slices of Night (Stacy Killian)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
  • Cold Feet
  • Don't Scream
Alex Kava is the New York Times bestselling author of thirteen novels, eleven of them in the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was chosen for the 2006 One Book One Nebraska and her political thriller, Whitewash, made January Magazine’s best thriller of the year list for 2007. Published in over twenty-five countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestse...more
More about Alex Kava...
A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1) A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5) Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2) The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3) Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)