Start by marking “Islam: The Straight Path Updated with New Epilogue” as Want to Read:
Islam: The Straight Path Updated with New Epilogue

Islam: The Straight Path Updated with New Epilogue

This updated version of Islam: The Straight Path includes a new Epilogue by John Esposito in which he addresses the impact 9/11 and its aftermath have had on both the Muslim and non-Muslim world, discussing Islam's relationship to democracy and modernity and focusing more sharply on the origins and growth of extremism and terrorism in the name of Islam.
This exceptionally
Paperback, Third Edition, 271 pages
Published December 30th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 6th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islam

Will Waller
This book is an excellent primer on Islam on a multitude of dimensions: historical, religious, modern, cultural, anthropological, scientific. I found this book to be the best guide to Islam, and I especially enjoyed its final chapter which dealt with modern history (up to mid-2009). It assimilates the many different streams of Islam into a readable work but one that is certainly well-researched and well written. This book was read for a course on Islam and I found it nearly as helpful as the cla ...more
Dillon Tatum
Nov 09, 2008 Dillon Tatum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People always ask me what a great intro to Islam book is, and this is it. Esposito does a fantastic job, and it is the best I have seen of its kind (in its 3rd edition even, I think). It does have some flaws, but what book doesn't.
Kristen
Sep 20, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to begin researching and understanding Islam this is a great book to start with. It's easy to understand and gives you the history of Islam as a religion, ideology, culture, and political system. I would encourage everyone to read this so they can understand what Islam is and what it isn't. Its important to understand the richness and beauty that surrounds the tradition of Islam and not just modern perception of radical movements.
Zack
Aug 18, 2011 Zack rated it it was ok
This does not seem like a very good introduction to Islam. I am not sure of the importance of covering obscure sects from centuries ago and all of that. The book is very dry, not much fun to read, and seems like an awful choice for a college survey course as it seems quite apologetic and does a very poor job of dealing with the current social issues and such within Islam. Nor does it go over any of the issues involving Islam and the outside world. Overall, I can't really recommend this.
Tyrone
Jan 27, 2017 Tyrone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Islam: The Straight Path is a really poignant and engaging introduction to the vast topics surrounding Islam. John L. Esponsito presents the complex history of 13 odd centuries of faith, innovation, expansion, trade, commerce, and sadly in more recent times, the spread of fanaticism.
This is a book I think everyone in the west should read so as to gain an insight into the culture and faith of Muslims, and how to not allow media bias to prejudice our interactions with our Islamic brothers and sis
Andrew Doohan
Given the enormous amounts of ignorance or misinformation that surrounds the subject of Islam in contemporary rhetoric and communal debate, this book, already a few years old in its fourth edition, was a timely read for me. The author, a world-renowned scholar in the field, provides an accessible and balanced introduction to Islam.

This book is no apology for the religion of Islam, nor is it an attack on that religion. It is, thankfully, a text that is well-researched, broad in scope, and not afr
Hanna
Jan 17, 2015 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book merits four and a half stars, but I rounded down to four. The book is excellent and filled with information and opposing theological strains within Islam. However, I felt that sometimes Esposito tried to defend Islam from Western critique (which I have no problem with in of itself) but would later write about certain tenets in Islam that kind of disproved the points he was trying to make. For instance, the question of "why did the Arabian Muslims seek to expand" never felt adequately a ...more
RachelAnne
Jun 06, 2012 RachelAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the book I recommend to people who want to better understand Islam as both a religion and a global political phenomenon. In clear, simple, readable text, Esposito explains for the history and ideology of Islam and its offshoots. This is a great resource for anyone confused by the Sunni/Shi'ia divide, or who wants to understand distinctions between the Muslim Brotherhood, the Taliban, Hamas, and various Salafist organizations.
Katie
May 11, 2008 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mostly skimmed through and read the parts that interested me. But it provided a good overview of the development of Islam, the divisions within Islam and beliefs/practices. I especially found the info on how early Islam improved the rights of women to be interesting. However, I was hoping there would be more on Indonesia here (the country with the largest Muslim population), but I guess you can't cover everything in a college survey textbook.
Dean
Sep 29, 2012 Dean rated it liked it
I must admit I have come across books which are perhaps better, "Jihad: from Quran to bin laden" by Richard Bonney would be a better choice. Also currently a production made by MBC on a series called "UMAR" available on Youtube in English subtitle is probably something worth watching, I found it amazing.
Daughters Of Abraham
This is a good basic text on Islam, from history to orthodoxy to the variety of sects in the religion of Islam. The Protestants in the group thought that Esposito’s view of “Christianity” was a view of pre-Vatican II Catholicism. Recommended, although some found No god, but God a better choice. (Review by Metro West)
Sara
Oct 12, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: txtbook, religion
Very dry.
It's not really relevant to understanding Islam unless you're studying where the extremist groups first originated or you just want to know about the historical movements of the religion.
I though John Esposito could do much better than that.
Christina
Aug 09, 2007 Christina added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not me
Shelves: thegaveupshelf
I gave up after the first couple of chapters. What I read was definitely good, but I just lost interest. Too many schisms in the religion and just not enough dedication on my part. Plus, the library wanted it back.
Rachael
This isn't a bad introduction to Islam. If you think this is a monolithic faith Esposito will astonish you on that account. My major complaint is that this is mostly textbook dry and strikes me as slightly apologetic. I particularly enjoyed his acocunt of Black Islam in the US.
Sara
Aug 24, 2014 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this for my history of the Middle East and Islam course, very dry and not as well written as I would have hoped. Leaves out a lot of important facts and includes many errors that are clearly cultural things and not Islam at all.
Shawne
Aug 16, 2007 Shawne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a quick primer on Islam
Shelves: non-fiction
A clear, well-written, comprehensive treatment of Islam and its history. Perfect for beginners, though a bit simplistic otherwise.
Tahrim Ahmed
Tahrim Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Henri Liriani
Henri Liriani rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Ifreet_Mohamed
Ifreet_Mohamed rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Muhammad Yunus
Muhammad Yunus rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Jannah
Jannah rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Val
Val rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Mai
Mai rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Liz W
Liz W rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2008
Zhipin Teoh
Zhipin Teoh rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Bruce Pearson
Bruce Pearson rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Beth Meroski
Beth Meroski rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
K M
K M rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2015
  • Jihad: The Trail of Political Islam
  • Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate
  • An Introduction to Islamic Law
  • Globalized Islam: The Search for a New Ummah
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • "Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
  • A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam
  • The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of Women's Rights in Islam
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Alif Baa with DVDs: Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds
  • Giovanni and Lusanna: Love and Marriage in Renaissance Florence
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • Islam and Modernity: Transformation of an Intellectual Tradition
He is a professor of International Affairs and Islamic Studies at Georgetown University. He is also the director of the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal center for Muslim-Christian understanding at Georgetown University.

Esposito was raised a Roman Catholic in an Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York City, and spent a decade in a Catholic monastery. After taking his first degree he worked as a manage
More about John L. Esposito...