Start by marking “Q Road” as Want to Read:
Q Road

Q Road

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews

Greenland Township, Michigan: On the same acres where farmers once displaced Potawatomi Indians, suburban developers now supplant farmers and prefab homes spring up in last year's cornfields. All along Q Road -- or "Queer Road," as the locals call it -- the old, rural life collides weirdly with the new.

With a cast of lovingly rendered eccentrics and a powerful sense of p

Published August 19th 2003 by Scribner (first published August 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Q Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Q Road

Jason Pettus

I recently found myself with the opportunity to interview revered author Bonnie Jo Campbell for the CCLaP Podcast; and so before doing so, I thought it would be beneficial to read her two most popular books besides the one I've already read (2011's Once Upon a River, that is, considered by many to be a fro
Tricia
Oct 23, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Sequel to Once Upon A River that was written first. Another great story about quirky characters surviving outside established norms. In this book they are connected to the farm land and rather than the river. The suburbs are encroaching and a way of live is disappearing...Sound familiar? The main character didn't grab me like Margo, and I was sad that Margo didn't appear in the book, but still a great read. Wonder if she will appear in a future book?
Betsy
Jan 26, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: siblings, friends, especially Michiganders and other midwesterners
Recommended to Betsy by: Heather
To make things a bit confusing: Bonnie Jo Campbell wrote this novel BEFORE her latest novel "Once Upon A River" (which I really liked. Both share some of the same characters. BUT the latest novel "Ounce Upon a River" is a prequel to this novel "Q Road." To further confuse things, I happened to read these books out of the sequence (in which they were written).

That said, one of the main characters in this novel (Q Road)is the daughter of the main character in the other novel (Once Upon a River) w
Amy
Oct 07, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
A quiet book about a group of neighbors in rural Michigan. Rachel is the closest to being our protagonist, and she is quite a character with her constant swearing, gardening, and rifle-carrying attitude and she's only 17. Her mother killed a man and disappeared, leaving Rachel on her own at 15 when George, the main landowner in the area, takes an interest in her. Each chapter could focus on any one of this town (even one chapter about Grey Cat), and we get to know their individual shameful desir ...more
Schuyler
Sep 10, 2011 Schuyler rated it really liked it
After American Salvage, Q Road is probably Bonnie Jo Campbell's strongest book. I recently interviewed this past summer for Knee-Magazine, so I had the chance to read her entire catalog.

Q Road is a novel told from multiple view points, with each chapter devoted to a single character. As the story moves along, the characters lives begin to intermingle. It is at once about a small Michigan township and of course, like any great story, it is also about the world. While the novel is heavy on charac
Janice
Mar 01, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost put this book down, as it started very slow for me. But I was glad I didn't, really enjoyed it as I got further into the story. This book tells of the lives of people in a small rural area in Michigan, and what happens over the course of one day, October 9, 1999. The action is centered around folks who live along one rural road, mostly farmers, and fills in background for each of them as the day progresses. What I found most engaging was the story of Rachel, a rough and tough young girl ...more
Melanie
Jul 14, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Although a bookworm, I'm an embarrassingly slow reader, partly because finding down time is tricky and partly because I constantly flip back and forth through the pages to check details, recall character quirks, etc. This was the drill for the first half of Q Road, despite my enjoyment of the read and of Campbell's wordsmithing. The second half, however, I devoured in one sitting, after waking at O-dark-thirty with worries I badly needed to escape. I got much more than distraction. Campbell remi ...more
William
Apr 02, 2013 William rated it it was amazing
WOW! I haven't read anything like this in a long time. Q Road, nicknamed Queer Road, is populated by the most peculiar characters ever assembled in a novel. Well, maybe not EVER, but it is certainly up there near the top. While the story takes place on one day, the back stories propel the reader forward. I sometimes can't believe how many fine writers are out there without a huge audience. This book could easily be included in the canon of modern American fiction.
Olga
Aug 19, 2011 Olga rated it it was amazing
I just love it when the heros and heroines in a book are ugly and beautiful at the same time. I love it when it's about people who make mistakes and suffer them or even suffer other people's mistakes, but find some hope and love even if it's of an unusual sort or kind of twisted. And I love it when I sympathize with a character who I'd probably hate in real life. And I like beautiful writing. I think I'm hooked on Bonnie Jo Campbell.
Vicki
May 29, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
An absolute must if you've read, "Once Upon A River." Main character, Margo Crane is pregnant at the end of "Once Upon a River", and 'Q Road' picks up with Rachel Crane, her daughter as a teenager living amongst the river and farmlands of Greenland Township, near Kalamazoo. You're introduced to the neighbors and what a cast of characters they are! The land holds secrets of the days when the Pottawatomie farmed these parts and gives a purpose to Rachel, as land is everything to her. Rachel and he ...more
Karen
Nov 16, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Only picked this up because I needed a “Q” for an A-Z reading challenge I’m doing this year. It’s set in Michigan, so I connected with that part. I really liked it, then there was a chapter where horrible things were happening and I almost put it down I was so upset, but I’m glad I pushed on because by the end I liked it again.
Patti K
Feb 04, 2012 Patti K rated it really liked it
This 2002 novel is actually the sequel to her recent one, Once Upon A River. Fascinating look
at these off-beat characters on a small family farm near the Kalamazoo River. Very absorbing
story with an inspiring ending. I recommend her books highly.
Steve
Aug 09, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Engaging tale of a day (October 9, 1999) in the life of a community of friends and neighbors, all quirky in their own way, in the small (formerly) farming town of Greenland, Michigan. The story centers around George Harland, a quietly compassionate and hard-working fiftyish farmer who wants nothing more of life than the hardscrabble pleasure he gets from his land and his somewhat undefinable, obsessive attachment to his unusual, profane, reclusive young wife Rachel Crane, a young woman, a girl r ...more
Liz Amundson
Feb 29, 2016 Liz Amundson rated it really liked it
terrific first novel from Bonnie Jo Campbell. Rural life of neighbors- some tension/drama, but unlike her short stories (which are searing and difficult and so deeply TRUE), this one has a lighter touch- as did her more recent novel Once Upon a River. Depth of inner lives is her strong-suit- the unseen insides of people.
Maureen Mead
Aug 14, 2015 Maureen Mead rated it it was amazing
Having lived many years in Kalamazoo, I felt a deep joy in Campbell's vivid description of that beautiful landscape. Her characters leap out at me in their many hilarious eccentricities. Her writing style is similar to Annie Proulx's: dry, dirty, and sort of makes the reader uncomfortable. I love it.
Julie
Jun 28, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
A sequel to "Once Upon A River," although this book was actually written first. I noticed a couple of small inconsistencies between the two stories, probably because I read this one right on the heels of the other, but those were only a small distraction.

"Q Road" takes place over the course of a single day, featuring a handful of rural Michigan neighbors. Each character's personal history and secrets interwine with the others, adding layer upon layer to the story, and fleshing out each individua
Lynn
May 07, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
I grew up on a farm in Ohio where my neighbors could have been these characters! I loved how the whole story is woven into one day, rich with layers and history.
Fiberbrarian
Jul 09, 2015 Fiberbrarian rated it it was amazing
Great! Rich characters and space. Quirky female character shaped by her upbringing grows beyond what could be expected of her. A book of love stories.
Janci
Aug 22, 2015 Janci rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I liked reading the same events from each character's perspective. And I like a happy (well, sort of happy) ending.
Elise
Dec 11, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it
The plot was not believable in the slightest, but the book was a great read. The jacket described the characters as "eccentric" but that's not the right word. Some were ornery, some desperate, some hateful, but I wanted to know what would happen to all of them. What was believable was the setting, both the inhabited and uninhabited parts of the countryside.

One random thing that stuck out to me was the lack of technology. The story is set in the late '90s and it is pretty remarkable to note the
Lucinda Stein
May 02, 2016 Lucinda Stein rated it really liked it
Campbell's artistry of painting characters shines in this book. The entire book takes place in one day.
Patricia
Jul 09, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing
A neighborhood peopled with encentrics.....slow to change, It usually takes a tornado, or a disgraced school teacher, or other disaster......and change is on its way again....Get a comfortable seat and a cool drink, this one is a page turner.

They are all flawed...but are all special.
Page 206. "he decided that the only time a man really knew God was when he knew God was different than folks said he was. That was when he figured it out for himself, and all the better if it disagreed with what was
Oct 19, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent author. She finds beauty in the mundane. I was a little reminded of Anne Tyler.
Aj
Apr 04, 2013 Aj rated it really liked it
I have never forgotten this book. I need to read it again (and want to!) because even though I haven't forgotten the essence of this book (haunting, Michigan rural themes, quirky characters) I have forgotten the details...needed for a review!

Bonnie Jo Campbell (Michigan!) is a great writer. I was privileged to see her leading a panel of authors talking about writing at the Kerrytown Concert House last fall at the book discussion last year at the Kerrytown Book Festival.

Elisabeth
Oct 03, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I unwittingly stumbled on a theme of rural farmland in the last year. (Driftless, Snow Child, Once Upon a River, Mudville, off the top of my head.) This is the first book to Campbell's book Once Upon a River (though it takes place later...too confusing to explain but obvious once you start reading.) It centers on one day and neighbors along Q road. I found it fascinating. I loved all of the daydreaming characters -- so many daydreams that we don't really wish to happen, sometimes a few that we d ...more
Ginny Donahue
May 12, 2016 Ginny Donahue rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Dotty
Mar 31, 2016 Dotty rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book, I loved it.
David
Aug 21, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
I think this is actually my favorite out of Campbell's writing yet. Maybe I'm just more of a land person than a river person, but there is something in this book that really tugs at me inside. The writing is amazing as well. Each sentence is warm and perfect. I like the way this one advances through different characters at once, exploring the main storyline while exploring each character and their interrelation to each other. I would recommend this one to anyone who can read.
Alisa
Jun 14, 2012 Alisa rated it really liked it
Somewhat awkward in the structure and writing compared to Once Upon A River, I was none-the-less happy to read this book so I that could revisit Margo's world and see what became of her child, the land-loving gardener Rachael. Farmer George Harland was also a great character, as was David. Some of the others I could of skipped (definitely could've skipped the alien-obsessed lady and the window salesman and his wife, but April May Rathburn was interesting).
Melanie Ullrich
Mar 08, 2014 Melanie Ullrich rated it really liked it
I was shocked when I started reading this to find out that my favorite book, Once Upon a River, was the prequel to this book. I was happy to find out what happened to Margo and her daughter, although the outcome is typical Bonnie Jo Campbell bitter-sweet. I love how Campbell can interweave gardening and the simple farm life into a a tragic, yet touching glimpse into a small communities everyday interactions.
  • The New York Stories: Three Volumes in One Collection
  • Code for Failure
  • American Gangbang: A Love Story
  • Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town
  • Cold
  • Condominium
  • Fowl Weather
  • História, História: Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands
  • All Shall Be Well; And All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well
  • Lies, First Person
  • High and Inside
  • The Old Man and the Swamp: A True Story About My Weird Dad, a Bunch of Snakes, and One Ridiculous Road Trip
  • Pretend I'm Dead: A Novel
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Nervous System
  • Funereal
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
Bonnie Jo Campbell is the author of the National Book Award finalist American Salvage, Women & Other Animals, and the novels Q Road and Once Upon a River. She is the winner of a Pushcart Prize, the AWP Award for Short Fiction, and Southern Review’s 2008 Eudora Welty Prize for “The Inventor, 1972,” which is included in American Salvage. Her work has appeared in Southern Review, Kenyon Review, a ...more
More about Bonnie Jo Campbell...