A Warrior's Heart: The True Story of Life Before and Beyond the Fighter

A Warrior's Heart: The True Story of Life Before and Beyond the Fighter

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With the success of the critically-acclaimed, Academy Award-winning film "The Fighter," the world stood up and cheered for the inspiring true story of Micky Ward--a heart-and-soul warrior who overcame the odds to make history in the ring. But that was only part of the tale...
Now, in his own words, "Irish" Micky Ward tells his inspirational life story as only he can.
From...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

Mark McNulty
I may have been a little biased going in, since I was already a fan of Micky Ward, but I found this book to be very enjoyable and loaded with sincere honesty. The love Ward has for his family is palpable, but he does not hesitate to call them on his flaws and failures. His level of honesty is brutal at times, as he shares details of his past that had to be uncomfortable at the least and, probably, rather painful. His insights into the sport and business of boxing are fascinating. From cover to c...more
S.
The book ended up being a pretty interesting and compelling argument against the American War on Drugs and the US prison system. On the low, of course. On the face, it's about boxing, which I'm interested in anyway. And the book's conversational style felt like I was sitting at a bar in Southie, listening to Micky tell me about the time when he was a boxer. Good stuff. But the points he makes about drugs, addiction, & prison are salient. I'd most certainly add it to a related LibGuide or rea...more
LAWonder10
I think it was interesting but a little drawn out.
The x-fighter wants to be a youth speaker and I feel
wanted this book to be read by youth but in no way
would I encourage youth to read it.
If he desires a youth to read it or hear his story, he needs to clean up
his language and terminology. The youth hear it all at school and worse
but we, as adults, need to encourage them differently not add to the
problem.
A truly great writer can get the point across without the vulgarity.
andreajulia
I really do not know why I picked up this book, since I do not follow boxing. I finished the book and it was a fairly pleasant and easy easy read, however the language was fairly simplistic and would probably lend itself better to the spoken word.

I did like how positive and realistic Mickey stayes throughout the book. Despite lasting brain damage he remains a greatful person and isn't afraid to take responsibility for his mistakes.
Elise
Enjoyable, honest, interesting read. A little blood-curdling at times. Definitely only for those ready for profanity and blow-by-blow descriptions of boxing matches. And for those with any connection to Lowell.
Dennis
As a boxer-in-training myself, "A Warrior's Heart" proved to be quite appealing, focusing on not only the boxing aspect, but the personal relations area of pound-for-pound fighter Micky Ward.
William May
I enjoyed the book basically because it is non-fiction and affirms the old principle that hard work pays off. Anyone can write fiction. Not everyone can tell the truth.
Artie
Not quite as good as the movie with its amazing cast but it does a nice job of filling in the gaps.
Mark Rhodes
Jul 14, 2012 Mark Rhodes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any boxing fan
Great Book! Great Story!
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Joseph
Joseph added it
Jun 30, 2014
Stephen O'brien
Stephen O'brien marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Ryan Railey
Ryan Railey marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Chathura
Chathura marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Oct 31, 2013
Cory Franz
Cory Franz marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Sean number 1 Farrington
Sean number 1 Farrington marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Jonny
Jonny marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013