Start by marking “The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries” as Want to Read:
The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries

The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries (Inside-Outside)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Libraries collect materials that reflect the past and imagine the future, opening windows to the world. Here is a selection of libraries from across America, presented with intriguing shifts of perspective that are the trademark of Roxie Munro’s acclaimed Inside-Outside series.
Published 1996 by Dutton Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries

Lisa Vegan
Jul 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers who love books & libraries of all types
I have a penchant for books about books and I love libraries. This is a non-fiction book about various libraries, including some unusual libraries, and even one that lends tools and not books.

It’s funny that my favorite part of this book is the illustrations. Because this is a non-fiction book about various real libraries, I think it would have been more appropriate to have photographs rather than illustrations, but I love the pictures so much, I’m glad they’re there and I enjoyed them more than
Deborah Martinez
Jan 02, 2016 Deborah Martinez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another wonderful children's book on libraries. I enjoyed learning about different libraries around the United States, and how one in CA lets you check out tools such as weed eaters and table saws, what a clever idea!

The part of the book I struggled with, is the prison systems having better libraries and receiving more reading materials then our public school systems do. This has always been hard for me to swallow. I understand they are giving the prisoners a chance to increase their skills and
Bunnyhugger1
This illustrated book for children looks at a selection of libraries in the US, from the majestic Library of Congress to a cozy one-room shack in a tiny seaside town. I really enjoyed the paintings (showing the outsides and insides of the buildings) and was delighted to learn that Berkeley (of course!) has a tool library where you can borrow home-improvement or gardening tools - this really needs to catch on! I wish the book had been more expansive as I'm sure there are quite a few unique librar ...more
Dolly
Aug 19, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting book about libraries. The narrative is comprehensive and covers all kinds of libraries, including ones that serve prison populations and tool lending libraries. It's a bit long and our girls started to lose interest, but what kept them looking were the amazing illustrations. They loved the pictures of the various libraries and so did I. They felt the example of the Braille lettering over and over again and we talked about what it would be like to read through touch instead ...more
Lesley Looper
This is a surprisingly interesting book about different libraries, some of which would fall under the category of "special libraries." Some of the libraries I enjoyed learning about were the Ocracoke, NC, library (open 6 hours a week, spread between Friday and Saturday), and the Berkeley (CA) Public Library Tool Lending Library (which has over 2000 tools available for loan, as well as how-to books and videos).
Jordan
Aug 07, 2008 Jordan rated it it was amazing
I learned about libraries in different states. I learned about the biggest one, and I didn't know that there were a lot of different kinds of libraries, like house libraries, prison libraries, tool libraries, mobile libraries and very small ones. It taught me about books and how other people read books differently, like reading with your hands and listening to books and magnifying them.
Susan
Jun 06, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Book Review: The Inside Outside Book of Libraries
By Susan
This children's book looks at different libraries across the United States of America. According to her LinkedIn profile, Julie Cummins, has almost two decades of experience in the New York City Public Library as part of the Children's Department staff.

When I check-out a book like this one, it is a hobby of mine to jump on Mapquest and try to locate as many of the addresses as possible. I enjoy seeing the places I am reading about as I g
Betsy
Mar 25, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
Obviously, this is a book about libraries! It's a nonfiction peek at the outside and insides of many different types of libraries (book-mobiles and Library of Congress to tool-lending libraries and even one on a naval ship!). It won't be the kind of book that gets reread, but for an informative and kid-friendly look at the many kinds of information settings and providers, this book is a great resource! It's aged pretty well, too--the information on the internet is still applicable.
Cindy
May 24, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about books, what's not to like at all about this? I would love to explore all these libraries in this book but everyone knows that would take an eternity.
Jul 25, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
From illustrator Roxie Munro's Inside-Outside Book of…series, this book contains paintings of the outside and inside of different kinds of libraries around the United States, each with a textual description. The libraries range from the Rotunda Reading Room of the Library of Congress to the Tool Lending Library in Berkeley, CA. I especially liked the Braille sample in the painting of a library for the blind and physically handicapped. This is one of those books that might appeal most to adults ( ...more
Ruth Ann
Sep 02, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Since libraries are my favorite places, I throughly enjoyed learning more about their various forms and functions. I was impressed by the wide variety of libraries that were represented: from the Library of Congress, to home libraries, ship libraries, braille libraries, and prison libraries.
Suzanne Moore
An interesting book that showcases all sorts of libraries. The illustrations include everything from small rural libraries to the Library of Congress and mobile libraries to prison libraries. One library even lends tools to help its community members with equipment needed to do special jobs. Here are a few photos of the newest addition to our public library. We call our little free libraries "Twigs" since we don't have any branch locations.
Yasmin Gomez Geng
May 03, 2016 Yasmin Gomez Geng rated it it was amazing
It's important for students to start developing a relationship with their public libraries while they are young. Libraries leave an impact on us that we can't always point to but we can feel.

This would be a good bok to read to students before heading off to the first library class of the year.

Grade: All
Topic: Libraries, Global Libraries, Books, Reading
Suse
Jan 02, 2013 Suse rated it liked it
Libraries in different places, that serve different people. Shows many types of libraries and what makes them all the same and what makes each a different. Also showcases many overall library services.
Kelsey Bates
Really great book that covers libraries from small town North Carolina to the Library of Congress. Would be good for any grade school student wanting to learn more about libraries.
Jamie
Nov 30, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Ever wonder about the different kinds of libraries in the world? This is the book that can fulfill that curiosity in a most pleasant way and with lovely ink-and-watercolor illustrations.
Emily
Nov 20, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-5th
A cool book explaining all the different types of libraries, from school to public, from ones on the USS Abraham Lincoln to those in prisons and also even one that loans out tools!
Elisa
Apr 25, 2012 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I was fascinated, by all the stories about the different kinds of libraries and as librarian I couldn't be more excited! I loved the tool lending library!
Heather
Sep 19, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Amazing examples of all kinds of libraries, including a tool library, a library for people with disabilities, a library on a naval ship, and more.
Bree
Oct 22, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Notes:
would have been better with a 'story' narrative instead of the encyclopedia feel; illustrations by Monro are always amazing
Naomi
This book presents a selection of libraries from across America. It has fun pictures and interesting information.
David
Feb 27, 2009 David rated it really liked it
This book made me want to start new libraries!

I think a kitchen-appliance library would be great!
Alyse Liebovich
Dec 11, 2012 Alyse Liebovich rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was officially "weeded" from our collection today. Instead of discarding it, they gave it to me :)
Kathleen
Apr 19, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Review from library copy.

Very dated at this point.
BiblioBrandie
Oct 31, 2012 BiblioBrandie rated it really liked it
A book about libraries? Yes, please!
Erin Gunderson
Erin Gunderson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Denver
Denver marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Louis Daniel
Louis Daniel rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Julie Cummins has milked cows and climbed silos, ridden subways and lived in a high-rise. She currently lives in New York City, where she has a spectacular view of the Empire State Building, and vacations in the country, where she enjoys the lake views.
More about Julie Cummins...

Inside-Outside (7 books)
  • The Inside-outside Book of New York City
  • The Inside-Outside Book of Washington, D.C.
  • The Inside-Outside Book of London