Start by marking “A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)

A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery #1)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  48 reviews
From Anna Loan-Wilsey comes the first installment of a new historical mystery series featuring Hattie Davish, a traveling secretary who arrives in a small Ozark town only to discover her new employer has disappeared. . .On the eve of the heated presidential election of 1892, Miss Hattie Davish arrives in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, a scenic resort town where those without th ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Lack of Temperance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lack of Temperance

Kathy
One of the best aspects of reading for me is the introduction to new places and historical connections. Anna Loan-Wilsey in her debut novel has given me both. I admit that I wasn't overly excited with the setting being in Arkansas, as I didn't think I would be that interested in it, but Eureka Springs was fascinating. That should teach me to make unsubstantiated locale judgements. I found myself getting up out of bed the night I started reading it and using the computer to look up the area to be ...more
Jaylia3
With its picturesque setting, lively historical time period, and personality-filled cast of characters this cozy mystery is just as fun as it sounds. A Lack of Temperance is the first book in a series featuring botany-loving Hattie Davis who works as traveling secretary--which is a superb occupation to give a character for at least three reasons. Going from place to place to earn her own living means Hattie is forced to be more independent and resourceful than many of her 1892 peers, it’s a job ...more
Jan Blazanin
A LACK OF TEMPERANCE, the first novel in a planned series, is a well-plotted historical mystery set in 1892. Hattie Davish is a traveling secretary whose sponsor sends her on assignment to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, to be personal secretary to Mother Trevelyan who is the leader of the Temperance Society. Hattie never has a chance to meet her employer because she mysteriously disappears after storming a saloon with a hatchet. When Mother Trevelyan's body is literally uncovered, Hattie becomes invo ...more
Bonnie
A Lack of Temperance is the first installment of a new historical mystery series featuring Hattie Davish, a travelling secretary who arrives by coach in a small Ozark town named Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It is the eve of the heated presidential election of 1892 and also the vote on temperance. A group of women have sojourned to Eureka to attend the American Women's Temperance Coalition. They wear blue and carry axes which the leader, Mrs. Trevelyan, is busy using on a saloon when Hattie arrives. ...more
Christine
Hattie Davish arrives on the train from Kansas City to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, eager to start her new assignment as personal secretary to Mrs. Trevelyan. Hattie is shocked to learn “Mother Trevelyan” is the leader of a woman’s temperance movement and isn’t afraid to express her strong views against liquor by taking an ax or setting fire to local saloons. Hattie never gets the opportunity to meet her new employer, because Mother Trevelyan is missing and later discovered to have been murdered. H ...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: It was chaos.

It's 1892. Self-described typewriter Hattie Davish has been paid to work for a Mrs. Edwina Trevelyan of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. She boards the train in Kansas City, and when she arrives in the resort town, the very first thing she sees is the American Women's Temperance Coalition (AWTC) trying their best to demolish a saloon. By the time she gets to the Arcadia Hotel, Hattie has learned that Mrs. Trevelyan is the president of the AWTC.

After a short battle of wills with
Kathy
The setting of the story, Eureka Springs, Ark. is wonderful. I had visited there for a flying one day stop several years back. Missed so much. Now I want to go back and really explore the place.
The book features Hattie Davish, a "typewriter" (secretary) in the 1890's who is hired by the head of a temperance organization having its convention in Eureka Springs. Soon there is dead body and Hattie is right in the middle of it assisted by the local doctor, and by two busy body elderly sisters, Lucy
Bookhounds
This is a fun, light-hearted mystery with historical characters that give it a sense of the past. Easy to read, you could knock this off in an afternoon. I'm hoping the author continues to develop her character and that we will see more like this in the future. I'm one of those people who follow an author's characters down through the series - if I like the book. I'd recommend this book to all who like a diversion from everyday stress.
Samantha
I absolutely LOVED this book. I picked this book b/c it takes place in Eureka Springs, AR, which is near (literally) and dear to my heart.

Miss Hattie Davish is delightful. I adore her.

Miss Davish is called to work as a secretary for Mother Treveleyan, the leader of the temperance movement (and based on Carrie Nation, I'm certain). Before Hattie has even met her new employer face to face, it seems Mother Treveleyan has gone missing.
Hattie becomes invested in solving the mystery behind her disa
Diana Leigh
A LACK OF TEMPERANCE was a delightful read, and I'm not just saying that because I adore Eureka Springs. :) I love Hattie Davish as the amateur sleuth in this historical mystery. She is a savvy Victorian career woman working as a secretary to some very important and influential people.

In November of 1892, Hattie's work takes her to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, a resort town famous for its healing mineral springs. It's also the meeting place for the American Women's Temperance Coalition, a group pas
Thebakingbookworm
For more of my book reviews please visit my blog, The Baking Bookworm (thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca)

My Thoughts: I really enjoy historical mysteries when I can learn a bit about history while enjoying an entertaining 'who dunnit'. Kind of a two for one deal, if you will. A little knowledge wrapped up into a nice, cozy mystery. Well, this book fits the bill.
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I have pretty much no knowledge of the temperance movement in the late 1900's. When I say 'pretty much
Cindy
Hattie Davish arrives at her new job as a secretary to an older woman. But whe she get there, she finds that her employer is missing and she's right in the middle of a storm over temperance. Her employer is the presidents of a large protest organization and they're hosting a rally that week. But her new boss turns up dead and the police haven't got much to go on. Hattie better figure out what's going on before she become a victim herself.

I liked this series debut. The setting, Arkansas in the la
Meg Mims
I really admired the premise of this mystery series, featuring traveling secretary Hattie Davish. She's definitely smart and willing to put herself in danger to scout out the killer of her new employer, a suffragette leader. The mystery was well done, and Loan-Wilsey kept me turning the pages! Looking forward to reading the second book and see where Hattie ends up next.
Christa
I really enjoyed this historical mystery. I liked the character of Hattie Davish. The storyline caught and held my interest, and I liked the Ozark Mountains are setting. I thought this was a great beginning to a new series, and I look forward to reading more about Hattie.

Hattie Davish arrives in the Ozarks to find that her new employer is the leader of a women's temperance movement which is causing chaos in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. When Hattie's new employer is murdered, Hattie investigates to
gertt
A Lack of Temperance is the first in a new series about Hattie Davish, a typist to hire. Hattie types lists to organize her thoughts and collects plant specimens for fun, and although she gets into a few interesting situations (not always making the best decisions) she's really quite dull. Hattie's character never develops beyond using her 'skills' to help solve the mystery.

Eureka Springs has several unusual characters, unfortunately you don't get to know any of them well either. The resident D
Great first novel with a very intriguing mystery that definitely kept me entertained! This is what I would classify as the "cozy" mystery but make no mistake, there is action enough to keep you interested and wondering who is behind the shenanigans. Well done!
Candace Davidson
This book takes place in the late 1800's. This is different than the cozy mysteries I normally read. It was a nice change. The author did a great job describing the scenes, it made you feel you were back in those days.
Georgia
I enjoyed learning about the temperance movement in the midst of a mystery. The mystery was well written and the women in the story were complex.
Sandybear76
Hattie is a typewriter girl and has a new job for the president of a temperance league. Hattie arrives in Eureka Springs and gets busy organizing the mail and typing responses while waiting to meet her new employer. The next day, Hattie enjoys a hike near the springs and spends the rest of the day doing more typing and looking for her missing boss. Hattie earlier the next day does find her missing boss but it is not pretty.

A mystery in history, when women were trying to get others to accept tem
Amy
I liked this book. The historical aspect of it was fascinating to me. I loved that she was a typist and traveled with her job to new locations . There was also enough hints of other scenarios and acquaintances that would provide interest in other books. Criticism would be that the character development wasn't the best. Some of the attempt at emotions felt wooden and lacked the right amount of explanation. The main character also made a lot of lists and insisted that she was organized, but some o ...more
Mike  Davis
This mystery held some additional interest for me because I'm familiar with the location of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, though it didn't play much of a factor in the overall story. The thread unravels gradually and ended with a bit more complexity than I expected from early pages. Although there is nothing ground-breaking with most mystery novels these days, this was a well written book and a fine mystery, especially for a debut author. I suspect we'll see more from this author.

This was an early r
Susan
Private secretary Hattie Davish is hired, sight unseen, to work for the leader of the American Women's Temperance Coalition, Mother Trevelyan. The AWTC is meeting in Eureka Springs, AK and ardent plant collector Hattie is glad for the chance to see new flora. But her employer seems to be missing, and the police think she's fled after setting a local tavern on fire. There's a handsome doctor who takes more than a professional interest in Hattie on hand, and a number of AWTC members who are jockey ...more
Rebecca
This is one of those hybrids, historical fiction/mystery. This one takes place in Eureka Springs AR during the temperance movement. A secretary is hired only to discover her new employer is murdered. So begins the new job of Hattie Davish our heroine.

The setting is the late 19th century and Davish needs to make a living. The background on her is slim and only hinted at and I do wish the author had filled in the details a bit more or dropped more hints. Anyway, Davish never actually meets her emp
Lori Adams

An enjoyable combination of history and mystery, A LACK OF TEMPERANCE is sure to entertain the cozy reader.

Hats off to Ms. Loan-Wilsey for her ability to author a book that can be shared with all my friends and family. She now joins the short list of writers that do not find it necessary to include explicit intimacy or graphic violence in their writings. Ms. Loan-Wilsey relies on her writing talents and extensive research to hold her readers' attention.

Deshay
Interesting start to what could be a good historical mystery series. The time period and the subject matter of the Temperance Movement were fascinating. It is refreshing to see a female character from that time period who has a secretarial job at a time when this was something new. It will be fun to see how that impacts the future of the series.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I haven't read too many historical cozies but really enjoyed this one. It is set in the early 1900's when alcohol was taboo to some. It was also interesting to read about the springs in Eureka Springs and the healing properties that people believed they held. I had a couple ideas of who might have been the killer but never guessed it correctly!
Brenda Freeman

I have another new author to follow. I certainly hope a sequel is in the works. Professional typist Hattie Davish takes a new position to be secretary for the president of the temperance movement, but doesn't get to meet her boss before she is murdered. She spends her time looking for clues into who the murderer is.
Ann Hein
First in a series by a local Ames author. A Victorian mystery, but taking place in the U.S., not England. This story tells of some quite intemperate temperance women! Not only breaking windows and trashing saloons, but murder!
Lydia
We were learning about the Temperance Movement in school, and this was on the recommended list, so I read it. It was very interesting and a good mystery. It was non-violent and still kept my interest.
Cozy Mysteries : Thank you! 1 21 Jan 24, 2014 06:37AM
Cozy Mysteries : $2.99 sale on A LACK OF TEMPERANCE 1 16 Jan 17, 2014 06:40AM
Making Connections: Discounted Mystery E-book promotion 1 4 Jan 17, 2014 06:35AM
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Death Train to Boston (Fremont Jones, #5)
  • Wouldn't It Be Deadly (Eliza Doolittle & Henry Higgins Mystery, #1)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Death Comes to the Village
  • Death of a Schoolgirl (The Jane Eyre Chronicles, #1)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1)
  • The Ninth Daughter (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #1)
  • Aunty Lee's Delights: (Singaporean Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman: A Mystery
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • The Counterfeit Lady (The Victorian Bookshop Mystery, #2)
As a librarian and information specialist, Anna Loan-Wilsey tracks down information every day that helps to solve mysteries. Eureka Springs is one of her favorite getaway spots. She is currently working on the second book in the Hattie Davish Mystery series to be set in Galena, Illinois. She earned her B.A. at Wells College and had several poems published in their literary magazine, The Chronicle. ...more
More about Anna Loan-Wilsey...
Anything but Civil (Hattie Davish Mystery, #2) A Sense of Entitlement (Hattie Davish Mystery, #3) A Deceptive Homecoming