Start by marking “Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series) ” as Want to Read:
Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series) (Arthur Adventure Series)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Based on the primetime PBS television special coming this fall, this tie-in book finds Arthur yearning to join a rock band started by Francine. But Arthur doesn't make it through the auditions and Francine chooses Molly, Binky, Fern, and Mrs. MacGrady instead. Then the Backstreet Boys come to Elwood City and change "everything!." Full color.
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Young Readers

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series)

Jackie
Arthur, It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll, written by Marc Brown. This is a story based on a television series. Muffy and Francine were watching the Backstreet Boys on television. They decided they wanted to create their own band because they believed they could be better than the Backstreet Boys. Auditions were being held for Francine’s new band and most of the people who audition were dismissed. Eventually Francine gets a band together and calls them U Stink. After an interview with the television show ...more
Marcie
Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, by Marc Brown, is a fantasy about some of Arthur's friends starting a band and wanting to go on tour with the Backstreet Boys. They get to play with them at their concert and decided that they didn't want to be famous after all. This book is for advanced young readers. It's longer and more challenging than most picture books. It's a good book for helping kids learn to read at greater lengths, and being a TV show as well, they could already know the story line fro ...more
Amy
*shudder*

This book talks a lot about being a "sell out"

Yup, that's what this book is.

My 6 year old loves the Arthur books (and I do too, for the most part), but this one is just painful.

And the caricatures of the Backstreet Boys were absolutely terrifying.
Deanna Donald
This is a great book to get students to appreciate music. I, for one, love music and I think after reading this book I would like to have a music appreciation week in our classroom to learn more about different types of music and how music can help us. Students often see the "glorious" side of fame and fortune, but never get to see why pople really should go into the music industry which is for the love of music and the inspiration that it gives to so many people.
bella
Aug 21, 2012 bella added it
I read this book to my 4yo boys. They love everything music right now, and even though they weren't that interested in the Arthur tv show on PBS they are loving the books.

In this one, Arthur and his friends form a band and even get to meet the Backstreet Boys.

This book is a little dated (I remember the Backstreet Boys when I was a teen), but it was still a really fun read. With a band name of "U Stink" my boys thought it was a great read.
Katie
Oct 16, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
II
Miri
May 04, 2014 Miri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arthur
Francine thinks the Backstreet Boys are sellouts, she vows that if she had a band she would never sell out. Muffy wants her to prove it, so Francine sets out to start a band, and they quickly become a hit! Soon Francine is faced with tough decisions. Will she learn what is really important about making music?
Rachael
Another Arthur tale... this one is a great book to challenge your advanced readers in 1st and 2nd grade. It teaches the value of collaboration and ambition, and why it is important to work together and stick together.
What is something you would love to do someday?
Have you ever been in a situation like this one?
Julian
I read this book with my daughter and son. My son and I did not enjoy the book, but my daughter actually enjoyed it very much because of the lesson she said she got from it. The lesson she got from it was not doing things because others are doing it, but doing something because you really enjoy it.
Carol Hardesty
It's amazing how much things can change in eleven years. Back in 2002, the Backstreet Boys were still popular and I still watched "Arthur" (PBS was one of the few channels our TV got). So because of this, I really liked this book - and the TV special it was based on, of course.
Christian Padgett
Useful book to use when talking about the differences of opinion. Students need to learn that everyone is not going to agree with them; but they cannot get mad about it. Furthermore, this book might appeal to those students that really really love music.
Jie Gao
The concepts in this story are beyond MT, in particular the part about sellouts.
Carrie
The Backstreet Boys teach the Arthur gang that it's not worth being in a band if they're not having fun with their friends. Also, Nick gets trapped in an elevator by a little girl and no one is surprised.
Patricia
Francine accuses the Backstreet Boys of being sell-outs. By the end of the story she realizes that it is both inaccurate and presumptuous to assume why people make the choices they do.
Samantha
I remember seeing this episode of Arthur on TV. It was one of my all-time favorites, so its only natural that this would be one of my favorite books. Fun times, great memories. =)
Cana
Mommy says: The Backstreet Boys figure prominently in this book, if you can believe it.
Vivienne
This is one of the best Arthur books and I love reading it to my brother!
Ella
Feb 14, 2009 Ella added it
I have this and it is signed by marc
Elizabeth
My niece told me I had to read it.
Kerry
Jtlanh01
Jtlanh01 marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Chelsea Schmidt
Chelsea Schmidt marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Samanta Bićanić
Samanta Bićanić marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)