Start by marking “Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series) ” as Want to Read:
Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series) (Arthur Adventure Series)

Based on the primetime PBS television special coming this fall, this tie-in book finds Arthur yearning to join a rock band started by Francine. But Arthur doesn't make it through the auditions and Francine chooses Molly, Binky, Fern, and Mrs. MacGrady instead. Then the Backstreet Boys come to Elwood City and change "everything!." Full color.
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Young Readers

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (Arthur Adventure Series)

Jackie
May 16, 2010 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Arthur, It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll, written by Marc Brown. This is a story based on a television series. Muffy and Francine were watching the Backstreet Boys on television. They decided they wanted to create their own band because they believed they could be better than the Backstreet Boys. Auditions were being held for Francine’s new band and most of the people who audition were dismissed. Eventually Francine gets a band together and calls them U Stink. After an interview with the television show ...more
Deanna Donald
Apr 03, 2011 Deanna Donald rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to get students to appreciate music. I, for one, love music and I think after reading this book I would like to have a music appreciation week in our classroom to learn more about different types of music and how music can help us. Students often see the "glorious" side of fame and fortune, but never get to see why pople really should go into the music industry which is for the love of music and the inspiration that it gives to so many people.
Amy
Nov 11, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it
*shudder*

This book talks a lot about being a "sell out"

Yup, that's what this book is.

My 6 year old loves the Arthur books (and I do too, for the most part), but this one is just painful.

And the caricatures of the Backstreet Boys were absolutely terrifying.
Shannon
Feb 16, 2017 Shannon rated it really liked it
Since I grew up in the 90s/early 2000s, I loved seeing the Backstreet Boys show up in an Arthur book! I'm not sure kids these days will know who that band is, but hopefully it will still appeal. The story is cute, and everyone loves music!
bella
Aug 20, 2012 bella added it
I read this book to my 4yo boys. They love everything music right now, and even though they weren't that interested in the Arthur tv show on PBS they are loving the books.

In this one, Arthur and his friends form a band and even get to meet the Backstreet Boys.

This book is a little dated (I remember the Backstreet Boys when I was a teen), but it was still a really fun read. With a band name of "U Stink" my boys thought it was a great read.
Julian
Aug 27, 2010 Julian rated it liked it
Shelves: theme
I read this book with my daughter and son. My son and I did not enjoy the book, but my daughter actually enjoyed it very much because of the lesson she said she got from it. The lesson she got from it was not doing things because others are doing it, but doing something because you really enjoy it.
Miri
Nov 15, 2013 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: arthur
Francine thinks the Backstreet Boys are sellouts, she vows that if she had a band she would never sell out. Muffy wants her to prove it, so Francine sets out to start a band, and they quickly become a hit! Soon Francine is faced with tough decisions. Will she learn what is really important about making music?
Rachael
Another Arthur tale... this one is a great book to challenge your advanced readers in 1st and 2nd grade. It teaches the value of collaboration and ambition, and why it is important to work together and stick together.
What is something you would love to do someday?
Have you ever been in a situation like this one?
Carol Hardesty
Jun 07, 2011 Carol Hardesty rated it really liked it
It's amazing how much things can change in eleven years. Back in 2002, the Backstreet Boys were still popular and I still watched "Arthur" (PBS was one of the few channels our TV got). So because of this, I really liked this book - and the TV special it was based on, of course.
Christian Padgett
Apr 08, 2011 Christian Padgett rated it really liked it
Useful book to use when talking about the differences of opinion. Students need to learn that everyone is not going to agree with them; but they cannot get mad about it. Furthermore, this book might appeal to those students that really really love music.
Molly
Aug 29, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is an amazing book, full of action and adventure and Backstreet Boys (or as I and Muffy call them, "the Boys,") and lessons about friendship and music and the world's most terrifying animal-Backstreet Boys hybrid caricatures. I highly recommend this to any and everyone.
Carrie
Aug 07, 2007 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
The Backstreet Boys teach the Arthur gang that it's not worth being in a band if they're not having fun with their friends. Also, Nick gets trapped in an elevator by a little girl and no one is surprised.
Kerry
May 03, 2011 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Backstreet Boys!! :)
Samantha
Aug 16, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
I remember seeing this episode of Arthur on TV. It was one of my all-time favorites, so its only natural that this would be one of my favorite books. Fun times, great memories. =)
Beth
May 24, 2016 Beth rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-ava
I only read this book because my 8 yo daughter choose it as her bedtime story. Only one word can describe this book...horrible!
Patty
Nov 16, 2011 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Francine accuses the Backstreet Boys of being sell-outs. By the end of the story she realizes that it is both inaccurate and presumptuous to assume why people make the choices they do.
Lindsay Yanoff
Lindsay Yanoff rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Yuna K
Yuna K rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2014
Ryanne
Ryanne rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Steph
Jan 03, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Love this one!
Natalie Pietro
Natalie Pietro rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Gracie
Gracie rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Nicki
Nicki rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2012
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Riha
Riha rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2012
C.
C. rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2015
Courtney Andrews
Courtney Andrews rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Jenlee
Jenlee rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2011
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Matthew's Dream
  • Knitty Kitty
  • That Book Woman
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • Can I Keep Him?
  • The Moon Book
  • Hurricane
  • Grumpy Cat
  • I Love My Hair!
  • Eleanor
  • Henry and Mudge and the Tumbling Trip (Henry and Mudge, #27)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren & Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #7-8)
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)