Start by marking “Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes” as Want to Read:
Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,706 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Book by Tessa Kiros
Published June 1st 2007 by Whitecap Books (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Cloudberries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Cloudberries

Tattered Cover Book Store
Gerald says:

Foodies (and booklovers):

Here is one of the most gorgeous, fun cookbook to come along in several years. The care taken in the production of this book is phenomenal from the book cover to the illustrations to the text.

I find that there are two sorts of cookbooks that most interest shoppers: those that people cook out of regularly and those that inspire and even comfort with their celebration of the pleasures of food. The former category really only involves a small number in anyone's
Stacy
Aug 30, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is so lovely and artistically done. I don’t know how many cookbooks have actually “left me wanting more”, but this one did. The title gave me the expectation that it would be all Scandinavian recipes, but in fact the author has a mixed heritage including relatives from Finland, Cyprus, and Russia, and has lived and traveled to Italy, South Africa, and many other places.

She compiles wonderful simply recipes from these places and laces them with dreamy memories of food, smells, and love
Catherine
Aug 14, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
An interesting collection of recipes organised according to country of origin reflecting the places the author has lived in her life and her cultural heritage.

The author provides backstory to the recipes, recounting memories from her life lived in different countries. I usually hate backstory but the author writes with authenticity and sincerity and the different countries/cultures are interesting so I don't mind it so much in this book.

I like this book. The book itself is delightful in design
Marleene
Jun 22, 2016 Marleene rated it liked it
This is an absolutely stunning cookbook. The recipes are clearly written and the photography is superb - whether of the food presented, the locales described, or hauntingly beautiful scenery. The premise of the book is certainly one that I can relate to - it's a highly personal welcome into the authors life and an exciting presentation of her cultural mix which includes Finland, Cyprus, Italy, South Africa and a smattering of things she makes from contact with friends.

However, this is also the
Shantiwallah
Jun 26, 2008 Shantiwallah rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I've marked this as 'read' even though I don't own it. I mean, it's very expensive! So, I just look at it in the bookshop over and over and plan to get it from the library soon.
This is exactly the cookbook that I've wanted to write for some time and Tessa Kiros has beat me to it. The recipes are driven by the mish-mash of cultures that she and many people have within their own families (myself included). She gives just enough personal information so that you get a sense of what the recipes mean
Tatjana
Dec 02, 2014 Tatjana rated it really liked it
What a gorgeous book!
The sumptuous photography and personal stories make this a book that shouldn't be squirreled away in the kitchen (or maybe it should, depending on your family!). The recipes are easy to follow and have a wonderful outcome.

I love the juxtaposition of Cypriot, Finnish, Italian and South African cookery because it somewhat reflects my own culinary experience growing up!

I wish I had access to some of the ingredients for many these dishes not to mention the time to linger over th
Karalalala
Mar 05, 2016 Karalalala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, favorites
My old chef boss gave this to me for christmas, and I take it off the shelf every few months to flip through the pictures. Lovely family recipes, with beautiful pictures.
Cheryl
Mar 17, 2008 Cheryl rated it liked it
This is a gorgeous book.
This is the book that your sister gives you as a gift.
It contains all the family recipes from a diverse and colorful family lineage and it dotted with family photos and vignettes.

It was quite lovely and I am a fan of Tessa Kiros but I don't live in a region where it is likely I'd be able to obtain a fresh octopus much less hang it on a line to dry.

There were a few recipes that I would like to try - champagne risotto as well as pistachio ice cream. The Greek-influenced dis
Prestoni
Oct 20, 2014 Prestoni rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations, but not many recipes I felt I had to make. This would be a want, rather than a need in my recipe book dream list.
Patricia
Mar 12, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
Split personality and intriguing, and the recipes I made were good...
May 29, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book!
Kristen
Feb 02, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodies, cook-books
Beautiful book. The recipes all look wonderful, but a few may be out of reach as I am living in Singapore and pickled herring is not easy to find :-)

I plan on testing out a few of the recipes later after I return back from vacation. that will be the true test of the book and the rating may improve.

Update: I have tried a number of these recipes and they are all delish. The book is heavy on the cream though, which is hard if you are lactose intolerant like me... but great book and good easy to fol
Cyndi
Jan 24, 2014 Cyndi rated it liked it
How do you rate a cookbook?

The photos are beautiful and inspiring, but I honestly didn't see much that I want to cook...
Lauren
Jan 07, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Absolutely phenomenal, gorgeous, perfect. Ihana.
Tara
Apr 03, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, cooking
Beautiful, with big gorgeous photos and mini-essays sprinkled throughout.
Sadly, very few vegetarian options (which only makes sense, since it focuses on the traditional cuisine of Finland (herring!), Greece, Italy and Cyprus), so I didn't make any of the recipes.
But I very much enjoyed flipping through it, oohing and ahhing.

(A note about my 52 in 2010: I'm only counting cookbooks that I actually cook a recipe from, so this one doesn't make it!)
Bramble
This author just has a way with...food and words. She takes you on a journey where not only can you see in your mind , but also smell and taste the experience that is her food. Everything I have made so far is delicious, though sometimes you must plan ahead. This is a thoughtful, elaborate and lavish blueprint for life's celebrations. This book was a gift in more than just receiving it for Christmas.I also enjoyed her other book Apples for Jam.
Viv
Nov 04, 2010 Viv rated it it was amazing
Excellent cookbook. The recipes are well written with metric and other measurements. So far I have made the leg of lamb with oregano and lemon, afelia, tzatziki and the sauteed greens and they have all turned out wonderfully.

The photography in the book is also really good. Both the food and photos from the region the food comes from in each section (Finland, Greece, South Africa, Italy and rest of the world) Would definitely recommend.
Lisa
Dec 20, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is a pleasure to read as every recipe tells the story of the Author and her heritage. The photos and art of it are stunning. I love, love, love her hummus recipe and it is my go to recipe.

I really should find some more recipes to try but every time I pull it off the shelf, I get sucked into reading it and looking at the photos rather than really finding a recipe to make.

Lovely book.
Caroline
Dec 11, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
This is one of those cookbooks that I would definitely own, if I weren't a vegetarian. The pictures are beautiful, the stories behind the recipes are heartfelt (and seemingly) as flavorful as the recipes themselves. There weren't very many vegetarian recipes other than sweets and the occasional salad. But that's ok! The meat recipes, particularly the lamb one look divine. Non-vegetarians: Give this book a try.
Karima
Jun 25, 2008 Karima rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
I loved everything about this tantalizing collection. The cover (even the floral design on the inside cover and don't miss the subtle script transcribed in luminescent letters OVER her photo on the back of the dust jacket,) the photos,the drawings, the recipes, the heartfelt commemoration and honor given to family members. I want to know this woman. I want to BE this woman.
Chris Marsh
Mar 31, 2010 Chris Marsh rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love! More kitchen awesomeness from Tessa Kiros. I especially loved the Greek/Cypriot section as this is a part that is close to my childhood and I can still taste and smell all those delicious Mediterranean dishes. I'm going to try out a couple of the Cyprus recipes for Easter. We love buying the Finnish bread when we're up in the north woods and I'm so glad to have a good recipe now!
TrueMyths
Jul 30, 2011 TrueMyths rated it it was amazing
i love this book. it is filled with glorious recipes with taste, zest and passion. it has an old-fashioned idea about good food - simple ingredients put together to taste wonderful. i love the recipes, i love her stories, and i love variety of these foods from around the world. the chickpea salad is a favourite for summer bbq's. it is in australia and i am in canada; i miss it.
Heidi
Jan 15, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
What a joy to find a cookbook that is so beautifully presented that it is a book in itself that you want to pull from the shelf and look through. When the recipes are delicious on top of that...you have perfection! I can only say that if you are thinking about getting a cookbook by Tessa Kiros, think no longer and get one. I have three and love them all!
Cherie
Jul 23, 2010 Cherie rated it it was ok
This book is GORGEOUS! Unfortunately, most of the recipes are VERY meat-heavy – I have not seen such a vegetarian-unfriendly cookbook in a while. The few vegetarian recipes I noticed sound delightful. She combines various recipes from her different cultural backgrounds, so there’s a mix of Greek, South African, Finnish, Italian, and more. Lovely photos.
Libbeth
Nov 08, 2008 Libbeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006, cooking
This book is so lovely to look at that if I am cooking from it I jot the recipe down rather than risk spatters in the kitchen. Some books I decide in advance that they are going to bear the marks of their use (Richard Bertinet’s “Dough” is nearly a loaf itself as it is so covered in floury fingerprints) but Tessa’s books stay out of the kitchen.
Crafty P
Aug 29, 2009 Crafty P rated it really liked it
spied this one at the library the other day and SO GLAD I picked it up. Greek, Italian, and more all in one book?>!!?? The photos are gorgeous and there's so much inside this tasty little book. Love the little narratives she puts with each recipe, too. makes it so much more personal!

Can't wait to check out more of her books!
Jerzy
May 01, 2010 Jerzy added it
Shelves: food
Beautiful photos, delicious-sounding recipes, and a few non-pretentious passages of evocative text... AAAH THE URGE IS TO STRONG I WANT TO GO TRAVELING AND SAMPLE THE WORLD'S DELICIOUS FOODS AAAAH!!!!
...but I guess I'll stick here for now and bake some Finnish cardamom buns. For now.
The family history chart is really cute too :)
Claire
Oct 28, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
I love this so much. This is one of the books I love to browse on a Sunday, thinking of what food to make during the week. The pictures and stories are gorgeous, and the recipes simple to follow. The mousakka recipe from here is divine, there is never any left over despite how much I make.
Diane Warrington
May 04, 2013 Diane Warrington rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A lovely book about a journey into the author's past. She revisits her homeland, her family left behind in Poland and relates it all to food and remembered family celebrations and meals from the past. Included are some beautiful photographs that capture the feel of her journey. Lovely read.
Barbara
Aug 27, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This isn't one of the cookbooks I run to and use, but I do love the way the author puts words together. One of her quotes is actually in my favorites file here. More of her words on my book blog: http://dogearedandunderlined.blogspot...
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Italian Food
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Thai Food