Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,080 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Book by Tessa Kiros
Published June 1st 2007 by Whitecap Books (first published October 1st 2004)

Tattered Cover Book Store
Gerald says:

Foodies (and booklovers):

Here is one of the most gorgeous, fun cookbook to come along in several years. The care taken in the production of this book is phenomenal from the book cover to the illustrations to the text.

I find that there are two sorts of cookbooks that most interest shoppers: those that people cook out of regularly and those that inspire and even comfort with their celebration of the pleasures of food. The former category really only involves a small number in anyone's...more
Stacy
This book is so lovely and artistically done. I don’t know how many cookbooks have actually “left me wanting more”, but this one did. The title gave me the expectation that it would be all Scandinavian recipes, but in fact the author has a mixed heritage including relatives from Finland, Cyprus, and Russia, and has lived and traveled to Italy, South Africa, and many other places.

She compiles wonderful simply recipes from these places and laces them with dreamy memories of food, smells, and love...more
Catherine
An interesting collection of recipes organised according to country of origin reflecting the places the author has lived in her life and her cultural heritage.

The author provides backstory to the recipes, recounting memories from her life lived in different countries. I usually hate backstory but the author writes with authenticity and sincerity and the different countries/cultures are interesting so I don't mind it so much in this book.

I like this book. The book itself is delightful in design...more
Shantiwallah
I've marked this as 'read' even though I don't own it. I mean, it's very expensive! So, I just look at it in the bookshop over and over and plan to get it from the library soon.
This is exactly the cookbook that I've wanted to write for some time and Tessa Kiros has beat me to it. The recipes are driven by the mish-mash of cultures that she and many people have within their own families (myself included). She gives just enough personal information so that you get a sense of what the recipes mean...more
Cheryl
This is a gorgeous book.
This is the book that your sister gives you as a gift.
It contains all the family recipes from a diverse and colorful family lineage and it dotted with family photos and vignettes.

It was quite lovely and I am a fan of Tessa Kiros but I don't live in a region where it is likely I'd be able to obtain a fresh octopus much less hang it on a line to dry.

There were a few recipes that I would like to try - champagne risotto as well as pistachio ice cream. The Greek-influenced dis...more
What a beautiful book!
Kristen
Beautiful book. The recipes all look wonderful, but a few may be out of reach as I am living in Singapore and pickled herring is not easy to find :-)

I plan on testing out a few of the recipes later after I return back from vacation. that will be the true test of the book and the rating may improve.

Update: I have tried a number of these recipes and they are all delish. The book is heavy on the cream though, which is hard if you are lactose intolerant like me... but great book and good easy to fol...more
Cyndi
How do you rate a cookbook?

The photos are beautiful and inspiring, but I honestly didn't see much that I want to cook...
Tara
Beautiful, with big gorgeous photos and mini-essays sprinkled throughout.
Sadly, very few vegetarian options (which only makes sense, since it focuses on the traditional cuisine of Finland (herring!), Greece, Italy and Cyprus), so I didn't make any of the recipes.
But I very much enjoyed flipping through it, oohing and ahhing.

(A note about my 52 in 2010: I'm only counting cookbooks that I actually cook a recipe from, so this one doesn't make it!)
Bramble
This author just has a way with...food and words. She takes you on a journey where not only can you see in your mind , but also smell and taste the experience that is her food. Everything I have made so far is delicious, though sometimes you must plan ahead. This is a thoughtful, elaborate and lavish blueprint for life's celebrations. This book was a gift in more than just receiving it for Christmas.I also enjoyed her other book Apples for Jam.
Viv
Excellent cookbook. The recipes are well written with metric and other measurements. So far I have made the leg of lamb with oregano and lemon, afelia, tzatziki and the sauteed greens and they have all turned out wonderfully.

The photography in the book is also really good. Both the food and photos from the region the food comes from in each section (Finland, Greece, South Africa, Italy and rest of the world) Would definitely recommend.
Lisa
I love this book. It is a pleasure to read as every recipe tells the story of the Author and her heritage. The photos and art of it are stunning. I love, love, love her hummus recipe and it is my go to recipe.

I really should find some more recipes to try but every time I pull it off the shelf, I get sucked into reading it and looking at the photos rather than really finding a recipe to make.

Lovely book.
Caroline
This is one of those cookbooks that I would definitely own, if I weren't a vegetarian. The pictures are beautiful, the stories behind the recipes are heartfelt (and seemingly) as flavorful as the recipes themselves. There weren't very many vegetarian recipes other than sweets and the occasional salad. But that's ok! The meat recipes, particularly the lamb one look divine. Non-vegetarians: Give this book a try.
Karima
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
I loved everything about this tantalizing collection. The cover (even the floral design on the inside cover and don't miss the subtle script transcribed in luminescent letters OVER her photo on the back of the dust jacket,) the photos,the drawings, the recipes, the heartfelt commemoration and honor given to family members. I want to know this woman. I want to BE this woman.
Chris Marsh
Love, love, love! More kitchen awesomeness from Tessa Kiros. I especially loved the Greek/Cypriot section as this is a part that is close to my childhood and I can still taste and smell all those delicious Mediterranean dishes. I'm going to try out a couple of the Cyprus recipes for Easter. We love buying the Finnish bread when we're up in the north woods and I'm so glad to have a good recipe now!
Libby
i love this book. it is filled with glorious recipes with taste, zest and passion. it has an old-fashioned idea about good food - simple ingredients put together to taste wonderful. i love the recipes, i love her stories, and i love variety of these foods from around the world. the chickpea salad is a favourite for summer bbq's. it is in australia and i am in canada; i miss it.
Heidi
What a joy to find a cookbook that is so beautifully presented that it is a book in itself that you want to pull from the shelf and look through. When the recipes are delicious on top of that...you have perfection! I can only say that if you are thinking about getting a cookbook by Tessa Kiros, think no longer and get one. I have three and love them all!
Cherie
This book is GORGEOUS! Unfortunately, most of the recipes are VERY meat-heavy – I have not seen such a vegetarian-unfriendly cookbook in a while. The few vegetarian recipes I noticed sound delightful. She combines various recipes from her different cultural backgrounds, so there’s a mix of Greek, South African, Finnish, Italian, and more. Lovely photos.
Libbeth
This book is so lovely to look at that if I am cooking from it I jot the recipe down rather than risk spatters in the kitchen. Some books I decide in advance that they are going to bear the marks of their use (Richard Bertinet’s “Dough” is nearly a loaf itself as it is so covered in floury fingerprints) but Tessa’s books stay out of the kitchen.
Crafty P
spied this one at the library the other day and SO GLAD I picked it up. Greek, Italian, and more all in one book?>!!?? The photos are gorgeous and there's so much inside this tasty little book. Love the little narratives she puts with each recipe, too. makes it so much more personal!

Can't wait to check out more of her books!
Jerzy
May 01, 2010 Jerzy added it
Shelves: food
Beautiful photos, delicious-sounding recipes, and a few non-pretentious passages of evocative text... AAAH THE URGE IS TO STRONG I WANT TO GO TRAVELING AND SAMPLE THE WORLD'S DELICIOUS FOODS AAAAH!!!!
...but I guess I'll stick here for now and bake some Finnish cardamom buns. For now.
The family history chart is really cute too :)
Claire
I love this so much. This is one of the books I love to browse on a Sunday, thinking of what food to make during the week. The pictures and stories are gorgeous, and the recipes simple to follow. The mousakka recipe from here is divine, there is never any left over despite how much I make.
Diane Warrington
A lovely book about a journey into the author's past. She revisits her homeland, her family left behind in Poland and relates it all to food and remembered family celebrations and meals from the past. Included are some beautiful photographs that capture the feel of her journey. Lovely read.
Barbara
This isn't one of the cookbooks I run to and use, but I do love the way the author puts words together. One of her quotes is actually in my favorites file here. More of her words on my book blog: http://dogearedandunderlined.blogspot...
Relyn
Jul 30, 2010 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cookbook lovers, photography buffs, and cooks
The photography in this book is wonderful. I just love it. I liked Apples for Jam better, but this was still remarkable. I like this one better because the recipes are more usable for me. Still, this one was wonderful and terrific for armchair cooks and travelers.
Karen
The cover alone is worth 4-5 stars. I embrace the diversity, the writing, the images, and the layout. Milk, Honey, and Cinnamon Ice Cream. This is a woman who uses superfine sugar. Stroganoff with Pickled Cucumbers and Honey. Pinapple, Cinnamon, and Allspice Cake.
Deb
As gorgeous as the other Kiros books with family recipes that span the globe. I made the Pistachio Rucola (Arugula) Pesto which was easy and full of flavor. Here's a link: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Catherine Woodman
Gorgeous cook book which I got because it was one of Gourmet's Cookbook of the month selections--the author has lived around, comes from mixed ancestry and these are the foods of her life--the things that she loves. It is just beautiful.
Readstoomuch
This is the second cookbook that I have from Kiros and it is every bit and delightful as the first one I purchased. I have not actually read this through or even tried a recipe yet, but the photography and layout of the book is georgeous.
Jenny
A gorgeous collection of recipes. We have really enjoyed several meals from these pages and look forward to more. It is a bit of a culinary adventure as several nations foods are represented in a personal from-the-heart manner.
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Thai Food
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook Food from Many Greek Kitchens Twelve: A Tuscan Cook Book Venezia: Food And Dreams Postcards from Portugal: Memories and Recipes