Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret

Snake and Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Featuring the mannister! Two-fisted Poe! Mister Bossman! wonder Book Junior, Boy Detective! Cousin Grampa! Sex Blimps! Underpants-on-his-head man! and much, much, much, more!
Published September 1st 2000 by Harper Perennial

Josh
Dec 27, 2007 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the tired and absurd
"Have you ever tasted adventure in your own BATH TUB?"

"What? What kind of question is that? Who are you and how did you get into my office?"

Culled from Michael Kupperman's weekly comic strip "Up All Night," this book is an appropriate ode to that feeling of sleep-deprived anhedonia you get when you're... well, up all night.

It's filled with surreal characters and nonsensical situations - Peter Faulk as a crime-fighting robot, the enabling "pirate in your dresser," an inanimate-object-brawling Pa...more
Andy
Kupperman is very much a rarity in his field; a comic book artist who deals in a dreamlike humor that is witty and inventive, and free of the usual sophomoric or juvenile drag that seems to plague some of his colleagues. Another great comix artist of similar quality would be Tony Millionaire.

You will laugh so hard, you'll fall off your freakin' sex blimp.
Kelldicott
Dec 02, 2007 Kelldicott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, especially fans of dada and absurdist humor.
Un-be-frickin-lievably funny, weird, and random as all heck. Ted Spas made me read this, if that tells you anything. And we now share an until-death love for Mr. Kupperman's little projects. This book is a gem. I challenge you not to die laughing halfway through the book. I did. Luckily, I was resuscitated by a level-headed passerby.
Joseph
If you like highly anachronistic comics involving hoboes, pirates, robots and Mark Twain and Einstein as a crime-fighting duo, you should buy this immediately.
Mike
What else can you say about this book except "ssssss" or "Pat me with a paper towel to remove excess grease?" Enough said.
Jeff
Michael Kupperman's comics are an acquired taste for sure, but if you've got the hunger, Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret is the fix you need. Kupperman is not afraid of the absurd, and may even harbor a disdain for common sense and logical plot development. That's all to the good, since his unique universe gains its strength from pure absurdity and a very flexible internal logic. Kupperman can be hilarious when he wants to, and even when the jokes fall flat, the bizarre scenarios usually provi...more
Jim
Dec 29, 2007 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Glen Baxter fans
Shelves: comix
Michael Kupperman gots the crazy. His comics are full of bizarre characters, pointless detours, meaningless and boring plot twists, and the little-known facts of famous people's lives. Typical comic plot line: a man gives himself the strength of twenty men.... and subsequently flees from the twenty-five men who want to beat him up. Plus, there's the hilarious exploits of Snake 'n' Bacon, who never stop hissing and tasting good in the face of adversity. You need this book, is what I'm trying to s...more
David James
Michael Kupperman may well be the funniest cartoonist alive. His work makes "The Far Side" look like the "The Family Circus" by comparison. Dada surrealism with heaps of pop culture references, and recurring appearances by Mark Twain, Pablo Picasso, Underpants-On-The-Head Man (the greatest superhero of all time), and a talking strip of bacon. How could it go wrong?
Chapin
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I have never laughed, out loud, so hard, sitting alone reading a book as I have with this little slice of genius. At any given time, I'm not really sure whether I currently have a copy of this or if I've lent it out. Usually I'll just buy another. This book will change your life.
Andy Matuschak
Cartoon Cabaret feels like pulp fiction. It feels like it's from before I was born. But at the same time, its humor has this straight-faced absurdity that's modern and wonderful.

For a representative example, see "Love's Tiny Robot": http://www.flickr.com/photos/16938754...
Barrie
After coming off of Maus this was just a disappointment. Felt a lot like everything you see on Adult Swim, but not nearly as funny. Yet another graphic novel that tries to be weird for weird sake, but doesn't actually make you laugh at all. Move on...
Will
Not as good as Tales that Thrizzle. Still funny parts and nice tie-ins connecting completely different story lines. He's clever and he's a good drawer-er, but this early work shows even how much he's improved in his artistic medium.
Walkermettling
I was recommended this book years ago by Johnny G., who I believe read it for the first time in the car evacuating from hurricane Katrina.

This comic is the best absurd humor ever! Ever! It's Great great great!
Jr
tomfoolery, plain and simple. worth it if you've got a hankering for truly out of nowhere turns. there's a healthy amount of non-sequitur going on here so be prepared for shenanigans.
The Irrepressible Crank
If I could somehow meld Michael Kupperman, Jack Pendarvis, Philip K. Dick, and George S. Kaufman's swizzlestick into a gestalt being, I would be quite surprised.
Martin
With all the rave reviews on this site I expected much, MUCH more than this... Some funny bits, but mostly WTF material. Maybe that's the point, I don't know...
Nfpendleton
Only slightly funnier than Tales Designed to Thrizzle, and that's the funniest sillybook I've ever read.
Greg Cym
I'm real bacon. Pat me down with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
Jason
Sep 09, 2008 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Absurdists
Recommended to Jason by: P. Revess
SNAKE: Ssss!

BACON: Use a towel to wipe up excess grease.
Matthew Novak
His books are just perfect to me. Impossible to not laugh.
Matthew
This is the funniest book I have ever read.
Arpad Lep
Apr 07, 2008 Arpad Lep rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with brains
Shelves: comics
this is the funniest book you will ever read
Eva

This is the funniest comic book I've ever read.
Brian
My favorite is "Creamed Corn Bossman."
Jessica
This is the best book of all time.
Gary Lee
Aug 31, 2008 Gary Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: snakes, bacon, robot grandpas, sherlockules, king champignon
Oh, Teenage Grandpa...
Twan
Aug 03, 2012 Twan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Absurdly hilarious.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Vol. 1 Mark Twain's Autobiography, 1910-2010 Tales Designed To Thrizzle Volume Two Tales Designed to Thrizzle #1 Tales Designed to Thrizzle #2