New X-Men: Childhood's End, Vol. 5: Quest for Magik

New X-Men: Childhood's End, Vol. 5: Quest for Magik (New X-Men: Academy X #9)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The demon lord Belasco has pulled the Xavier Institute into Limbo, but he's not after the X-Men... he's come for the New X-Men. With their leaders cut off, most of the team captured, and a group of students thrown into the demon infested wastelands, all hope seems lost. But the kids aren't alone in Limbo...and things are about to get much, much worse.

Collects New X-Men #3...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about New X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New X-Men

Tiamatty
Illyana died in 1993, in one of the most genuinely tearjerking comics I've ever read. She stayed dead for over a decade, becoming one of those rare deaths that sticks. Then Kyle and Yost - along with artist Skottie Young - came along to unstick it. But while this is Illyana's revival story, it's the New X-Men students who get the most focus, as it should be. Kyle and Yost write the characters wonderfully. They're rich, complex characters, and they all have unique reactions to everything that hap...more
M
The X-kids find themselves in a battle for their very souls in the latest volume by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost, with some help on the pencils from Skottie Young. An evening of scary stories catapults the young trainees into Limbo at the whim of the demonic Belasco. Having sesned Illyana Rasputin's brief return during the House of M event, Belasco has abducted the students in order to pry Illyana's current location from them. While half the group goes through torture, the other half has encountere...more
Andrew
(Okay, read this rating as three stars plus Skottie Young art.)

Illyana Rasputin and Skottie Young... How could I not like this? Well there are plenty of ways I could not like this, but in the end, none of those appeared.

The Kyle and Yost team is making me really upset (exaggeration) that Messiah Complex came to wipe out New X-Men. This book is doing the exact opposite of Generation X, which started out strong and went out with a whimper... or two... or three.

Drat and bother! To know this series...more
Jamil
i actually kinda liked this. illyana/limbo/belasco stories have always kinda bored me, and i barely knew any of these young x-men next generation characters. that said i really kinda dug skottie young's character designs, and characters like anole & prodigy seem interesting to me and i kinda hope they survive the "all new, all different. everything changes here!" x-men wheel of fortune. that elixr kid though, man, could you design a better teenage x-men character? (ignoring rogue for the mom...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints New X-Men #37-43. The New X-Men are taken to Limbo by Belasco and learn Belasco is searching for Illyana. This collection contains the Search for Magik storyline and a few other short stories which lead into X-Men: The Messiah Complex. The issues presented in this collection are also shorter than normal due to a backup story arc called Endangered Species which isn't included as part of this collection. The Magik storyline is alright, it has been done to death and it was stretched over w...more
Ryan
I bought this not knowing much about the characters only because they were bringing back one of my favorite characters. I know that not many people would agree with me on this, but I am a big fan of the Bret Blevins run of the New Mutants back in the mid 80s. I was actually upset when they killed off Illyana's adult character, there ws potential for some fun stories. Anyway, this brings her back using some Marvel non-logic that's just alittle difficult to understand.

Also, the cartoony artwork i...more
Arturo
There's no quest. The whole story is Belasco asking where Illyana is. Either way this is a series where I always wanna read the next issue to see what happens next. (or who dies). The prelude with Blindfolds warning/ campfire story is great.
37-41. Quest
42-43. Children of the X-Men . Prelude to Messiah Complex.
J.
A really good volume. The plotting is a little scattered, but this volume focuses on a lot of the 'other' students at the school--the ones who aren't the stars of the book. There's lots of good characterization and a fun (if slightly familiar) plotline. The series continues to be strong.
Jostalady
This is interesting, the future generation of X-men with some transitional overlap. The youthful voices feel authentic and the interactions between the youth is genuine, I was practically transported to my HS years.
Angela
Disappointing after the previous volumes. the group end up in Limbo with Darkchilde and have horrible things done to them. Not much story here really, but it still does well on character moments. A good read.
Shannon Appelcline
A fine conclusion to the series. The Quest for Magik is a good return to the past, while the last couple of issues do a good job of integrating the whole school and bringing new characters to prominence.
Ahmed
Damn you, Marvel! Why isn't there an on-going for these beautiful characters?
The Book Geek
New mutants for a new age.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons X-Force/Cable: Messiah War X-Force, Vol. 2: Old Ghosts X-23: Innocence Lost X-23: Target X