Start by marking “Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant” as Want to Read:
Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant

Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant

Both simple and accessible, Maths in Minutes is a visually led introduction to 200 key mathematical ideas. Each concept is quick and easy to remember, described by means of an easy-to-understand picture and a maximum 200-word explanation. Concepts span all of the key areas of mathematics, including Fundamentals of Mathematics, Sets and Numbers, Geometry, Equations, Limits, ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Maths in Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maths in Minutes

Danyel Lawson
Oct 12, 2013 Danyel Lawson rated it really liked it
Excellent quick refresher on the basics of math from algebra to geometry to calculus to linear algebra and a lot more including calculating pi and logarithms and the math of singularities. I was disappointed that Pascal's triangles were left out but that is my only criticism as it manages to explain each concept in a immediately useable form in a page or two with a nice large typeface in a pocket sized book. Plus it has stuff I've never heard of.
Shelly
Jan 25, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it
More of a math refresher for someone who wants to remember. I took high level math courses in college and graduated over a decade ago. Sufficed for my interest, but would probably go way over some people's heads.
Sabrina
Oct 24, 2016 Sabrina rated it liked it
a one page explanation isn't going to help my poor inadequate brain get above average but it was still ok
Ben
Dec 15, 2013 Ben rated it it was ok
The 1-page explanations are too short to really explain anything, and not entertaining enough to be a nice read. More importantly, there are some small but important factual errors (using a plus where it should be minus, subscript instead of superscript, etc.)

The only use I can think of for this book is as a quick refresher for someone who already knows the topics at hand - as long as they remember to go elsewhere for the actual details.

For a similar (albeit less technical) but IMO better book,
Squatting Erudite
This is a neat little book for those who want a pretty nice overview of what mathematics is about, more or less.
Nobody can give a detailed survey of mathematics in such a small book, but I guess it's a good starting point for those who want to look for new interesting topics. Oh, and I really liked the way in which most of these topics are summarized, it's not that easy to distil whole branches to several sentences!
Russianwitch
May 15, 2016 Russianwitch rated it liked it
Will be slowly working through it for ages to come, but not exactly a vacation read.
Me and math don't get along, though we really should unfortunately this is not the book to enlighten me further.
Clear examples, if not always easy ones.
Well written and interesting.
Unfortunately not suitable for a noob.
Chris Lawrence
Jun 23, 2013 Chris Lawrence rated it liked it
Pretty good, although my understanding started to get seriously challenged after about the first 100 :)
Kawthar
Jul 12, 2016 Kawthar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, 2016, pdf, science
4 stars to that amazing book.

It was a nice way to re-remember some mathematical concepts I have learned so far at school, discover the origin of many ones and learn new great theorems and ideas.
Paulo Girão
Jun 02, 2015 Paulo Girão rated it liked it
I cannot honestly say that the short explanations to the basic mathematical concepts are fulfilling my curiosity in any way, but it is a concise reference book.
Ryan Cutter
Jul 04, 2015 Ryan Cutter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencey-stuff
Very cute maths book, nice helpful reminder of some old mathematics and also taught me a few neat tricks I missed along the way
David Ranney
Mar 11, 2014 David Ranney rated it it was ok
A one-step forward, two-steps back review of mathematical concepts. Mostly it just reminded me of how woefully inadequate my brain is.
Jon Mann
Apr 28, 2015 Jon Mann rated it liked it
Cool idea. Unfortunately some of the concepts really need more space to explain properly. A vague understanding of a core idea isn't sturdy enough to support later ideas.
Kargil Behl
Kargil Behl rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Scott Si
Scott Si rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
David Loureiro
David Loureiro rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Shane Bertish
Shane Bertish rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Thomas Lundquist
Thomas Lundquist rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Tristan Currie
Tristan Currie rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Elisabeth Cook
Elisabeth Cook rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Clarence Lam
Clarence Lam rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
manifestasisanubari
manifestasisanubari rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Ehimgo
Ehimgo rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2014
An Te
An Te rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Ahmed Salem
Ahmed Salem rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Daniel Karpantschof
Daniel Karpantschof rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Dzmitry Horbach
Dzmitry Horbach rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Lance
Lance rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
  • Science in Seconds
  • Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide: Discover your next great read
  • Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day
  • How To Draw Anything
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • Sciencia: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy for All
  • How to Write Better Essays
  • The Great Mathematical Problems
  • The Joy of Lex
  • Killer Girlfriend
  • Algebraic Topology
  • 100 Quilt Blocks from the House of Tula Pink: Modern Blocks as Unique as You
  • Tapped Out: Rear Naked Chokes, the Octagon, and the Last Emperor: An Odyssey in Mixed Martia l Arts
  • Facebook For Dummies
  • Mathematics 1001: Absolutely Everything That Matters in Mathematics in 1001 Bite-Sized Explanations
  • The Culprit and The Cure: Why lifestyle is the culprit behind America's poor health
  • Math Girls
  • Life in Five Seconds

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »