Start by marking “Year of the Tiger” as Want to Read:
Year of the Tiger

Year of the Tiger

During World War II, the Imperial Japanese Army under General Tomoyuki Yamashita looted untold amounts of gold and other valuables from across its occupied colonies in Southeast Asia to fi nance the empire s ongoing military expansion. But when the tide of war turned against Japan in 1943, much of this treasure had to be buried in secret. Over the decades, the search for t ...more
Published December 3rd 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Tiger

Trupti Dorge
Sep 10, 2012 Trupti Dorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
My only reason for accepting this book for review was that it was set in Singapore. If you read my blog regularly you might know I don’t read many thrillers. It’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just that I don’t actively seek them. So if I’m just going to read a few thrillers every year, I’m glad ‘Year of the Tiger’ was one of them.

This book in set in 2014 Singapore. When workers are digging for a tunnel in Singapore, they stumble upon a secret room filled with loot from the World War II. It’s
Jarrod
Jan 05, 2013 Jarrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must thank my friends here on goodreads for recommending this book as it certainly lived up to the hype.

Year of the Tiger had a great storyline lying somewhere between historical facts and intriguing fiction and this delightful blend makes this book an easy and interesting read.

Kudos to the author who focused on developing the main plot rather than on the moulding of characters. They played their part for sure, but it is always the story that matters most to me. The mystery of Yamashita's gold
Dorothy
Jan 19, 2013 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: excellent, singapore
I found the story angle interesting and it was well weaved in with history. While a work of fiction such a thing as the Japanese protecting their loot with a biological agent of sorts is possible as they did have the technology at the time and anthrax has a very long shelf life.

I've often wondered what became of Yamashita's gold. Much of it I'm sure was lost when the ships transporting the loot home to Japan were lost in military action at sea. Still I would like to think that at least some of
Sapper
Jan 08, 2013 Sapper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of action thrillers
I picked the book out cos I thought at first that it would be a historical fiction of the war in Asia. Still I wasn't disappointed that the bulk of the story was set in the present day.

I think that we do not give the Imperial Japanese Army enough of credit for their pioneering work on developing modern biological weapons especially anthrax despite the horrific way in which much of the research was done.

The legend and the many stories of Yamashita's lost treasure is indeed an interesting premis
John
It was the engaging plot and a fresh take on a mystery dating back to the Second World War that got me to pick up the Year of the Tiger.

As someone who has history flowing through his veins so to speak, I found that this unusual take on what happened to Yamashita's Treasure in the latter half of that war in the Pacific, to be both plausible and somewhat frightening. I can certainly appreciate the enormous research that was merged so seamlessly into the storyline giving the casual reader a quick h
Trinity
Nov 29, 2012 Trinity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting and unusual plot that would keep just about any normal reader, apart from brain-dead, turning the page.

Intelligent, good color and clear style of writing makes this an easy and enjoyable read.

I found it interesting that this book deals with a rather different sort of bioterrorism - one that had been left behind since World War II. The choosing of Anthrax as the bug in question was also interesting and the historical research done on anthrax made the plot believable
Jim
Jan 11, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: singapore
Loved the book and the fast-paced action.

As a student of history, I found that the book had an interesting take on the Japanese after Pearl Harbor attack. Lots of little juicy details about the Japanese and their biological warfare plans to attack the mainland US in the closing stages of the war.

Also it is not too often one comes across books referencing Israel's bio- weapons capability and the politics behind it.

In summary, Year of the Tiger was a great read about one unresolved mystery from t
Carol
Oct 24, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up thinking it was going to be just another story from World War Two but I was drawn in by the first couple of chapters.

I think what I enjoyed most about Year of the Tiger was the action which just kept me going. That's what I feel a good action thriller should be - something fast and explosive that keeps me wanting more as the plot evolves.

Loved the twist in the end!
Viceroy
Nov 29, 2012 Viceroy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I found most enjoyable about this novel was the way in which the author skillfully blends events of World War II with the drama of the present day.

The book starts of simply enough when some workmen in Singapore stumble on an underground cache of treasure looted by the Japanese during the war. Tainted by the Japanese with a type of anthrax to protect the treasure, this chance discovery triggers a near global pandemic.

The main characters then go on to search for a cure following a few clues
Lauren
Jan 29, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply loved this book and the fact that it was set in Singapore was a bonus.

The book is filled with facts about the Second World War and that has made me more aware of our war history and what happened here. I've been looking into the tales about General Yamashita and all the treasure he had stolen which as far as we know is still missing. It is something which I hope can be found and maybe returned to the rightful owners if they can be found after all these years.

It was a fun book to read.
Sapper
Jan 08, 2013 Sapper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: war, terrorism

Sue
Feb 12, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brilliant, singapore
An awesome read. A strong gripping storyline told simply. It certainly kept me turning the pages till the very end. I really enjoy stories with an unpredictable ending and this one certainly lived up to all the hype.
Vikas Kohli
Apr 28, 2013 Vikas Kohli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book mingles past & present very well & is fun to read. I really enjoyed the historic references & a lot of it seems to be based on actual events.

Looking forward to the sequel.
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: excellent
Loved it! Fascinating story, well researched and great pace. Certainly deserves the praise it's been getting. Looking forward to more
Donald
Mar 25, 2013 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. Good plot and solid research for a work of fiction. The storyline was rather scary in a way but plausible all the same.
Robert Tanner
Jun 02, 2013 Robert Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really slow to me. But after you get to the part where the virus gets out. That's when the book really starts and how the team has to stop the virus form spreading. All in all this book is really good.
Jinshana Praemcheun
haven't read such a thriller that is so unnerving like this for a long time. i wanna read it in one sit alas I have work to do. anyway, reading this book made me wanna put work to finish as fast as possible so I can come back to reading.
the historical part of Singapore is informative and entertaining. writing style is like reading g a newspaper so don't go in this book hoping for a great conversation between characters. but if you are the kind who is more familiar with non-fiction writing style
Alaric Seah
Jun 13, 2014 Alaric Seah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by how king tutankhamun kept his treasures from treasure burrowers.

Know more about Singapore's History: Sook Ching Massacre, 1992 Drug rehab Centre digging led to discovery of world war II treasure, Yamashita's gold loot ** recommend them to visit the old ford factory.

Twist at the end.

Linda E.
Nov 02, 2014 Linda E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading Year of the Tiger and I must say that I loved it. It is a fairly quick read and a thoroughly enjoyable one.

I have never read anything pertaining to this subject matter about Singapore or it's history. I do tend to like to learn about new places and things and I found that there is a great deal I didn't know about this region and is history.

This is a fictional novel but it is based on facts such as the rumors of treasure hidden by the Japanese army during the war and the
Gena
Interesting novel and a story told quite realistically merging facts from the war with a modern-day twist. I like the way the media angle was woven into the story. It added to the pace and gave the storyline a more realistic field. Lots of little nuggets of information in the book and I found myself Googling to find out how much of the background info was real. Surprisingly a lot of it was factual so in that sense - yeah learnt quite a lot about Japan's biological weapons during the war.

I didn'
Jason Brierley
Sep 02, 2016 Jason Brierley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2.5/10

Horrible dialogue detracted from the story so much I had a hard time finishing the book. The plot itself was thin, and the characters had no depth whatsoever. It felt like a high schooler submitted this novel for a class and never edited the story. Felt like stream of consciousness at times. The only way this got above a 1 for me was the the fact it was short so it didn't waste more of my time. In all seriousness the story had potential: A race against time, solving a mystery surrounding a
Wan Ni
Set in 2014, Year of The Tiger is a speculative historical thriller predicated on missing treasures that were looted in World War II, and hidden beneath the Padang in Singapore under plain site. When the treasures were accidentally unearthed by a group of construction workers, a high lethal and infective anthrax strain was unleashed, resulting in worldwide panic not unlike past infections such as SARS and H1N1. The story revolves about Inspector Loh trying to curb the spread of the infection, so ...more
Robert
Jul 23, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Interesting storyline with strong historical links to kickoff the novel. I thought the pace was good and yes like everyone else it seems, I loved the twist at the end. Yet to read the sequel yet but hope it lives up to this book.
Robin
Jun 24, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well- researched book with a terrifying plot on bioterrorism with a twist. I enjoyed how history politics and the media shaped the plot as the story evolved. Am reading the sequel now and that looks good too.
Sep 14, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Poorly written, edited, paced, and punctuated. Dialogue was cringeworthy. I didn't care about the characters at all, partially because their development was so shallow. They just don't ring true.

The biggest problem I had in reading this book was that Miller subscribes to a "tell, don't show" philosophy in his writing. Everything is overexplained, as if this was the first novel I've ever read.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this book to anyone.
Brenda
Sep 26, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-literature
This book might be a better fit in the young adults section because it's pack-full with historical formation. The deft way it was blended with the present-day fears of terrorism made this a most intelligent read. There was a stronger focus on the plot and the pace of the novel. Dialogue among characters was short and to the point. This is one of my big peeves with some authors - way too much needless talk which made one lose track on the plot. So with this one, they got it right. Overall I thoug ...more
Thomas Sim
Mar 10, 2014 Thomas Sim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel that bridges the history of World War 2 in Singapore and the region into a classic modern-day thriller. I particularly like the way the threat of bioterrorism in today's society was handled. Overall it was a compelling and authentic read. The sequel Advent seems to be even bigger and more explosive.
Michael
Aug 30, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amatuerish. Can't decide between history lesson, social studies, a lecture on media, action/suspense. Dull dialogues and preachy proses don't help the pacing of the novel. Shallow characterisation and a sprawling plot with aimless subplots and a lack of any sign of urgency makes this a very painful read.
Catherine
Interesting novel - a story well told. Certainly worth a second read down the road. I feel the sequel Advent is somewhat better though as the original plot is vastly expanded. The writing for both books were good fitting well into the tone and face of the novel.
Corrie Wales
Corrie Wales marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A former newspaper correspondent and managing editor for a number of magazines, David Miller has written several commercial books over the years.

His first novel Year of the Tiger was published in August 2012. His second, Advent, was published a year later.

He is currently working on a sequel to Advent.
More about David Miller...