Piggyback Rides and Slippery Slides: How to Have Fun Raising First-Rate Children

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  29 reviews
We are busy. Our children: busy. Our grandchildren: busy. We are busy providing our offspring with comfort, experience, and social and academic skills - and yet many parents still fail to provide their children with the most important asset of all: play.

Piggyback Rides and Slippery Slides calls for loving caregivers everywhere to improve the well-being of children through

Published July 1st 2007 by Cedar Fort

Rachelle
I am most definitely looking for this book on Amazon or Ebay or something. I love this book. Who doesn't love a book that reinforces with reasearch and statistics something that you already believe? The premise of this book is that in our busy society we are causing our children to miss out on perhaps the most important aspect of their development: play. I read this book and think... that is the kind of Mom I want to be. The author shows how to incorporate play into daily life, meals, into work,...more
Janille
If you are looking for a book to inspire and educate yourself on the necessity of "play" as a family and with individual children, this is a good book for you. The author interviewed parents and children of all ages, did clinical and statistical research as well, to provide a well-rounded "how-to" book on play.

What I like about the book in particular is that it is divided into specific chapter categories and each chapter encourages the reader to pick ONE (yes only one) goal to set to be more pla...more
Nicki
This is am amazing book and it motivated me to make some small changes in my life to make me feel like I'm being a better mom. It also helped me to see what I am doing right and feel good about it. One of the biggest successes, was the motivation it gave me to turn off the TV. We haven't been huge TV watchers, but it's my survival in the morning when my kids wake up at 6am and I'm still sleepy. Now, even in the morning, the TV is usually off. I'm not crazy against TV or ready to get rid of it, o...more
Cindy
I would recommend this book to every mother that wants there children to thrive and become well adjusted individuals. there are many facets to the book but one that is frequently mentioned is that of imaginative play and the explanation of its necessity in young lives. I loved the research behind the book and the authors extensive experience and knowledge into the art of play. I must say that after reading this I look at playtime as an art-form that any mother would love to include herself in. T...more
Jane
This is a fantastic book. The title is a little misleading...in that it is not just another version of the magazine "Family Fun" but has another deeper dimension regarding raising happy, well-rounded children.Don't get me wrong....it also has a bazillion amazing fun ideas for family play. No one could use even a portion of them all in a lifetime. Congratulations, Lynnae on a #1 best seller! (Lynnae is in our ward.)My married kids are all going to get a copy for Christmas. (oops....forget I said...more
Holly
I really enjoyed this book. I thought there were some great ideas for fostering play in your child's life. I think when we think of play, for most parents, it means getting down on the floor and playing trucks or Barbies with children. Though that type of play may be good, the author broadens the word play to mean things like going on a natural scavenger hunt together or painting a picture. I got some great ideas from this book and I hope other people who read it agree.
Karen
I give the playing ideas 5 stars but the rest of the book 1 star. I really like this kind of thing but it was really pretty boring at times. There were fantastic ideas of things to do with your kids--most of the ideas were for kids older than mine. When my kids get to be 6 or so, I will consider purchasing the book because there were so many great ideas that I will never remember them but all the research and the "why" behind playing with your kids was a snoozefest.
Dee Anne
I bought this book expecting something different. I was looking for fun activities to do with my children that we would all enjoy. Although it does have some suggestions that is not the focus of the book. She has quoted a lot of research on the value of playing. That was very interesting and has me convinced that not everything our children learn come from lessons and teams. It is important for all of us to PLAY.
Lisa
Although there were some parts of the book that didn't apply to my situation right now, over all I thought it was great! It talks about the importance of parents taking time to just play with their kids, and how that can be just as, or even more, beneficial to kids as all the formal preschools and sports teams. We need to quit overscheduling our kids and just play with them!!
Karmel
The author of this book just came to our American Mothers meeting last night. We had an invigorating discussion on how to be more fun and play together with our children. I have been having the best day having been reminded of this great part of motherhood. I got his signature in the book and I'm off reading! It is a quick, simple, useful and fun read!!
Marilyn
I like some of these ideas. Ideas, for me, are important because I don't naturally gravitate to things that are fun for kids. I disagree, however, with the idea that throwing parents into the mix of play will always be best. I think I can mess up what they're imagining by my presence or suggestions. I'll participate and watch from a distance.
Bethany
If you need convincing that PLAY is essential to a child's development than this is a great book to read. It is a research oriented book that incorporates a few fun ideas to do with the family.

The research aspect wasn't interesting to me and most of the ideas were obvious. So, not the right book for me.
Alissa
This book had some great ideas of activities to do with your kids. When you read books like this it seems like it can't be that hard to be a great parent. It makes it seem more like fun than work. They need to just write a second book on how to make your kids want to do homework and chores...
emily
So far, this book is worth the time and money. I find a lot of moms struggle with actually playing with their children. This book helps by giving you a pat on the back for what you already may be doing and helps you painlessly add more meaningful play time each day with your family.
Danielle
I just heard the author speak about this book yesterday. I want to read it to remind me of the joy of just playing with my daughter.
This is a good reference book to have. It is full of fun games to play, hikes to take and just reminders of the importance of playing.
Donna
I love this book. It is a self-help type book that makes you want to pull out the playdough and spend an afternoon with your little ones (and not care about the mess). I esp. like the part that talks about the dad and his influence on his little girls:)
Angee
Love it, love it, love it!! It gave me a lot more fun ideas of activities to do with my children!! We have already tried a bunch of them and had a BLAST!! I'm trying to RELISH each moment I've been given, and this book has made that easy.
Lkohn
Great perspective on parenting and play. How many 9 year old soccer players really ever go on to get college scholarships or play professionally? Including simple ideas for play that I felt like I could actually accomplish.
Abbie
Shows the importance of playing your kids both by experience and research. A lot of great ideas for playing, but a lot didn't apply - my kids are too young. Worth looking through when my kids are older.
Lou
Lots of good ideas about ways to play with your kids. Not really a guilt trip book. I have enough of those without reading them. Makes you think some and isn't too hard to read.
Patty
I only read this for a book group, but I did find some helpful information. Now I don't feel as guilty about being outside playing instead of fixing dinner.
Cara
Such great insight into parenting and enjoying life to the fullest. Definitely want to refer back to this book in the future.
Tisha
May 27, 2008 Tisha is currently reading it
I am LOVING this book. It is fast becoming one of my most favorite parenting/idea books.
Kristen
Working on this one...subtitle is: How to have fun raising first rate children.
Laurie
An excellent book about letting go and having fun while raising your kids!
Amy K
The importance of playing with our kids and how it helps our relationships grow
Katie
This was a really fun book. Lots of ideas - lots of motivation :)
Marie
A must read for any parent.
Kaelynn