Start by marking “Skirrid Hill” as Want to Read:
Skirrid Hill

Skirrid Hill

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Ideas of separation and divorce—the geographical divides of borders, the separation of the dead and the living, the movement from childhood to adulthood, and the end of relationships—drive this poetry collection from one of Great Britain's rising young talents. The collection revolves around the poems "Y Gaer" and "The Hillfort," the titles themselves suggesting the lingui
Published August 1st 2006 by Seren

To ask other readers questions about Skirrid Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skirrid Hill

Lawrence
Separation is largely the theme of these poems; whether division has already occurred or is about to, even imagined as a possibility, separation is addressed in the context of history, personal relationships, even geography. "Mametz Wood" recalls the loss of Welsh lives in the WWI battle, not through description of the action as it happens, but rather through the unearthing of bodies by farmers returning the soil to its original purpose: "For years afterwards the farmers found them - / the waste ...more
Ben Dutton
Welsh poet, Owen Sheers, first came to my attention through his novel of wartime resistance, aptly titled Resistance, in which the South Wales valleys were invaded by German soldiers. He is, however, better known for his poetry – predominately this collection, Skirrid Hill, which won a Society of Authors Somerset Maugham Award, and bought acclaim from poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy, and wide press approval.

Sheers was born in Fiji, but raised in Abergavenny, and this duality is the first of many d
Caroline
I’ve been re-reading Owen Sheer’s second collection, Skirrid Hill which I first read some years ago and probably not long after it came out. I had quite forgotten that it opens with one of my favourite poems of his; Mametz Wood, based partly on the discovery of a group of skeletons of twenty soldiers who’d been buried apparently all linked, arm in arm

And even now the earth stands sentinel,
reaching back into itself for reminders of what happened
like a wound working a foreign body to the surface o
Steph
I spend a lot of time researching books, reading about books, planning what I am going to read next and getting excited about reading something that I have been thinking about for a long time. It is always therefore a lovely surprise to pick up something random that I have never heard of before and find it to be so brilliant. This was certainly the case with Owen Sheers’ ‘Skirrid Hill.’

This is one of those rare collections of poems where virtually every single poem seemed to sparkle, move and er
Julie
Enjoyed the descriptions of landscape and place above all. Interesting collection mainly looking at transition points in lives and relationships. Some startling images but one or two that didn't work for me. Then again, I'm so out of touch with reading poetry. Definitely a book to keep and to re-visit.
Angharad Wynne
Owen Sheers is clearly a wonderful poet. I loved the mixture of the personal and landscape in this collection in the same way that I'd enjoyed The Blue Book. More poetry please Owen!
Lin Howells
I just love these poems. Just a perfect mixture of the lyrical with the grit and reality. The hard backbone of Welsh rock is there beneath the surface of life and love and endings.
Catlin
So far? Well, I'm mixed. Some are alright, others... It probably has more to do with my A level english teacher to be fair. I had to explain 'Night Windows' to her.
Niki
Lovely, luminous stuff - love, loss, sex, separation, death, a meditation on the Welsh flag and quiet observation, each word weighed.
John White
Not the best collection of poems I have read. I'm not a fan of all the poems being about sex.
Ceri
Jan 31, 2012 Ceri added it
Glorious, just glorious...
Ben
Loved these poems
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Nadia
Nadia is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Charlie Fenton
Charlie Fenton is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Joe Hopkins
Joe Hopkins is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Combo
Combo marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Poetry Readers Ch...: Skirrid Hill by Owen Sheers 3 9 Mar 28, 2013 06:52AM
The Front Cover Debate 1 7 Mar 25, 2012 01:18PM
Owen Sheers was born in Fiji in 1974 and brought up in Abergavenny, South Wales. The winner of an Eric Gregory Award and the 1999 Vogue Young Writer's Award, his first collection of poetry, The Blue Book (Seren, 2000) was short-listed for the Welsh Book of the Year and the Forward Prize Best First Collection 2001. His debut prose work The Dust Diaries (Faber, 2004), a non-fiction narrative set in ...more
More about Owen Sheers...
Resistance White Ravens The Dust Diaries Pink Mist The Blue Book