Start by marking “The Kinsman Saga” as Want to Read:
The Kinsman Saga

The Kinsman Saga (Kinsman #1-2)

Hero or Killer?

In a startling future that's coming closer every year, Chet Kinsman is an astronaut ace who has done everything in spaceincluding committing the first murder. It's a secret he can never escape, not even on the Moon, where he's head of the first U.S. lunar colony.

But suddenly, a series of shocking yet strangely inevitable circumstances forces Kinsman to confr

Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published October 15th 1988 by Tor Books (first published October 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Kinsman Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kinsman Saga

Megan Baxter
This is a reread, and one that took me an ungodly long amount of time. I tend to put my rereads up in the bathroom, and get through them that way, but this time, I kept getting distracted by the graphic novels my husband had up there as well. I just wasn't that into it.

Of the two Ben Bova Cold War In Space novels I've read, this is definitely the better and more nuanced of the two. In this form, the book is made up of two previously published novels about the same character, Chet Kinsman, milit
Cesar
Jul 31, 2016 Cesar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was entertaining. I had to keep going back to some previous chapters to verify the amount of time that had passed with the start of the new chapter. The main character was developed in depth, unfortunately some of the other 'main' characters were left too shallow. In particular was Diane and only at the end did we get a glimpse of just the type of person she was and how she connected to the main character.
The one thing that bothered me was how Kinsman was constantly battling over a 'sin
Keith Bell
Re-read for the 3rd or 4th time. Great book. Surprised by the influence in had on me when I first read it 22 yrs ago. I found themes and ideas in here that I have used in many of my discussions over the years. Also found many similar scenes and themes that must have inspired parts of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (perhaps my favourite series of all). Glad I dug back into this story.
James
Audiobook read by Stefan Rudnicki. Written in the 70s with a great life story of Chet Kinsman who becomes an Air Force astronaut caught up in the cold war tit-for-tat, while aiming to get to the moon.
Samuel Lubell
Aug 26, 2012 Samuel Lubell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
It is amazing how much older SF resembles alterntive history. I don't think I'd trade lunar colonies by @000 for the dismal future and cold war in the book. Great characterization of Kinsman and Colt, but not for the female characters.
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Jirnsum
Sep 26, 2013 Jirnsum rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea, as the Kinsman character makes you want to scream "Get over it already" at more than one occasion
Mike
Feb 01, 2017 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Ben Bova's books you should like this one. I do and I did. It is everything you would expect, not more, no less.
Randy
Jul 20, 2009 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the complete edition with both books made into one story. Previously published as two books in 1976 and 1979.
Chez Nash
Jul 29, 2014 Chez Nash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Ben Bova's works because he blurs the lines between science fiction and science fact.
Kirsten Chmielewski
Awesome book, true character building, but confusing as to the date it is set. I know its supposed to be the "future" but the main character was a kid when we first walked on the moon....
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Cp Leigh
Cp Leigh rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2009
charlie harding
charlie harding rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Danita L
Danita L rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Robotguy
Robotguy rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Jerry Hyson
Jerry Hyson rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2009
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Todd Roy
Todd Roy rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
DaveHi
DaveHi rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Joe Baum
Joe Baum rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Shan Shwe
Shan Shwe rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2008
Richard White
Richard White rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2010
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Evan rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rolling Hot
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
  • Bug Jack Barron (Overlook SF & F Classics)
  • None But Man
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Starfarers
  • The Paradox Men
  • Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia (Macrolife, #1)
  • The Early Asimov: Book One
  • Stardance
  • Starfarers
  • What Mad Universe
  • The Face of the Waters
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...