Start by marking “White Death (NUMA Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
White Death (NUMA Files, #4)

White Death (NUMA Files #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  5,138 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Critics and fans everywhere have welcomed the enormously entertaining new series from Clive Cussler: the adventures of Kurt Austin, taken from the NUMA Files.

Hailed as a hero for the new millennium, Austin is the leader of NUMA's Special Assignments Team-and the threat before him now is definitely special. A confrontation between a radical environmentalist group and a Dani

Published June 23rd 2003 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about White Death, please sign up.

Rose My copy of White Death copyright 2003, Berkley Book, has only 355 pages. It mentions a printing history of June 2003 in hardback and June 2004…moreMy copy of White Death copyright 2003, Berkley Book, has only 355 pages. It mentions a printing history of June 2003 in hardback and June 2004 mass-market edition. I would guess that it has something to do with which edition by which publisher and what the print size is.(less)

Linda
Apr 30, 2016 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the time to see if Clive Cussler style is for you.
It's been a long time since I read a Clive Cussler book and the first that did not have Dirk Pitt as the main character (I read many of those). But, there are a lot of similarities between Dirk Pitt stories and stories involving the new protagonist, Kirt Austin. First, Cussler's books are slow starting, as you have to understand the history behind his tales before he launches into the modern story; second, unless you know something about t
Brian
Feb 05, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristofer
This story was a little slower moving then I usually like it to be. It followed Kurt Austin in his pursuit against Oceanus and their mutant fish. Much more aggressive and massive than normal fish, they were causing havoc against small fisherman families. Kurt Austin and his usual partner Joe Zavala take on the case, but become really determined to stop Oceanus after they tried to murder them. Like always, the battle approaches Oceanus' front door as Kurt gets ready to stop them once and for all. ...more
Charles Owen
Jun 30, 2015 Charles Owen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most STUPID novels I have ever read. The authors obviously care only about action and plot and will pull out any ludicrous device they can think of to get the words on the page. I find it hard to believe the authors are so dumb that they really didn't realize the things they have in this novel are absolutely ridiculous.

The novel begins with a ship sinking after being rammed by an environmentalist ship that goes out of control. For some reason, people in the engine room could n
Joshua
Apr 02, 2015 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clive Cussler’s books are frequently off the wall, but this is so far off the wall that it’s rebounded, demolished the wall, and is basking in the mid-afternoon sun revealed by the recently demolished wall. I actually get the feeling that Cussler had decided to come up with the most ridiculous story elements he could as a game.

“Let’s see here,” I’m sure he said. “I’ll have a crashed Nazi zeppelin, radical environmentalists, Basque relics, mutant fish, and for my villain, I’ll have…oh, I don’t kn
James
Feb 27, 2015 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so what do the horn of Roland, invisible geodesic domes, Eskimos, killer salmon, a 1930s Zeppelin, and the Third Reich have in common? Obviously a publisher that was asleep at the wheel.

I enjoy Clive Cussler novels, no matter how far-fetched, ever since I first read *Raising the Titanic* and hero Dirk Pitt overcame incredible odds (and the Russians (it was still the Cold War era, mind you)) and actually "rose" the Titanic. See? I can really hang in there for the fantasy.

But this tale . . .
Gerold Whittaker
Jan 29, 2010 Gerold Whittaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A multinational company is secretly creating genetic freaks of nature - for their own financial gain obviously. Nobody really knows what is going on behind closed doors but when the local fishermen start reporting that the fish are disappearing the environmentalists try to stop them. In between these two opposing forces, enter our heroes Austin and Zavala resulting in all the ingredients needed for another action-packed novel.
Ed
Aug 20, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Kurt Austin, NUMA series. Fourth in the series co-authored by Paul Kemprecos.

Kurt Austin, NUMA series - A confrontation between a radical environmentalist group and a Danish cruiser has forced Austin and colleague Joe Zavala to come to the rescue of a shipful of trapped men; but when the two of them investigate further, they discover that something far more sinister is at work. A shadowy multinational corporation is attempting to wrest control of the very seas themselves-no matter what
Debbie Duran
Feb 02, 2011 Debbie Duran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clive Cussler books are great for escaping out of our ordinary lives. His characters are believeable & likeable & get to have extraordinary adventures in amazing places.
Jeff Herman
Not one of his best books but the story line kept it interesting and still very much worth the read.
Jody
Oct 27, 2015 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Truly enjoying the writings of Mr. Cussler. This one does not disappoint.
Christine
Jul 13, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love clive cussler books, fast reads when I am bored.
Sayaka Moriyama
Jan 13, 2014 Sayaka Moriyama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
@Time of reading
12/28 70 min

@7 word summary
girl boyfriend captured heroin mother prove innocence

@Discussion question
Have you ever caught the inspections in an airport?

@My answer
No, i haven't. However, some of my friends have caught because of they had some sharp things. one of them have caught because a checking dog barked to him. of cause they were not guilty, but they said they took a lot of times to be released. i don't want to be like them.

@What I think about the book.
it was soo interesti
Teo Hoppe
Sep 30, 2014 Teo Hoppe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ruthless corporation is about to take command of the seas. This is a mission for Kurt Austin and the NUMA team...

If I have a must read author, then I suppose it would have to be Clive Cussler. His plots are outlandish and ridiculous, his dialogue is...well, laughably pathetic and his heroes are annoyingly sanctimonious, but I'm still hooked on them all. They're worth their weight in gold just for the action and head-snapping pace.
And so it goes with WHITE DEATH. In this book Kurt and Joe are u
Adam Wilson
Jul 03, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
White Death impressed me quite a lot as far as New York Times best-selling thrillers go. I love that Cussler is one of those authors who still writes a full novel instead of an expanded, large printed, larger margined, 60,000 word novellas that Patterson and his readers think are full length novels. Cussler is churning them out at a rather suspicious rate but if the quality is still there and if they don’t start double-spacing his books to make them seem as long as they once were, I will continu ...more
Jorgen Schäfer
In the beginning of Clive Cussler’s White Death, NUMA top agent Kurt Austin by chance is able to safe the crew of a danish military vessel that sunk in a tragic ship collision. But something smells fishy. After some investigation, Kurt Austin finds evidence that the collision was rigged to distract from a nearby plant. When Austin investigates closer, he finds himself the target of a powerful international corporation.

I’m not too happy with the NUMA Files series around Kurt Austin. Cussler’s mai
Myke
Dec 12, 2009 Myke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm trying to be fair as I have not read the preceding books in this series, but I'm willing to bet that they are all pretty similar. It's a pretty typical action/adventure book. All of the characters have PIERCING EYES and GRANITE CHINS and STEEL in their voices.

The novel opens with a man being unjustly pursued across the ocean by the SPANISH INQUISITION. In the next chapter a NAZI ZEPPELIN is chasing the north pole. I am not making this up.

On the off chance that you are having trouble sorting
Barbara ★
Kurt Austin is probably my favorite over-the-top action hero. He can (and does) do everything imaginable and some completely unimaginable stuff too. He's a great hero and he always gets the girl. His pal (and partner) Joe Zavala is another real good thinks-on-your-feet kinda guy. The adventures these two get into and out of are truly amazing.

This one involves a horn and sword from the 1500s which was stolen and passed along through a family of crazy Indians. The main crazy is Tunuk and he has se
Corrie McMurtry
a action packed book with so many characters I got a bit lost. only cause the names confused me but in tge end not bad. interesting idea about gentically altered fish, I don't think tge whole Spanish thing was necessary it was more of a way to bring in help when needed. I might have liked it more if that was the central theme rather than the fish. finding the lost relics and such. but otherwise not too bad a fun, lighter read.
Matt Mintz
Overall I found this book to be interesting because it was generally focused on fish and I have always found fish to be interesting. However, I found it to be a little boring at points because of the way Clive Cussler writes the book. He just writes in a way that drags out scenes to a point where it feels like it is never going to end. But other than that i found it interesting.
Yuki Kodama
Nov 18, 2013 Yuki Kodama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 65 minutes this week.

*7 words summary
Sarah, prison, court, mother, old boyfriend, help, real criminal

*Discussion Question?
Q.If the court decides that we were bad, we have to die.
What do you think about capital punishment?

A.It is very difficult for me to answer this question. It depends on the situation.
In this story, at the airport, the police stopped Sarah and arrested because they found drugs
in Sarah's bag. However, it is not Sarah's one. Someone put the drug in her bag. Sh
Andy
Apr 14, 2012 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the early Kurt Austin books. Typical of Cussler's work in that there is a big build up and a quick ending. White Death is a name given to genetically modified fish (Frakenfish) that are developed by a mad scientist intending on earning billions as his fish wipe out native stocks and make only his available. It seems like a bit of a stretch but one doesn't read these novels for complete believability. All the pieces are in place - the Trouts, a call to St. Julien, the beautiful damsel in d ...more
DonHSr
Feb 06, 2016 DonHSr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The whole series is good reading. The only thing is that at the beginning of every story no one can pull anything over on the bad guys but when you get near the end there is nothing that the good guys can't pull off.
Magdalena
Dec 12, 2015 Magdalena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dirk-pitt
Cussler's novels are like action movies from the 80s. If you abandon all connection to reality you may enjoy the ride. However this one is really stretching it. Evil Eskimo tribe, genetic modification, sacred relicts of the Basques and Nazi zeppelin may just be a bit too much for one book
Steve
Sep 18, 2015 Steve rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Lots of intrigue, things that happened earlier were explained later. I really like Kurt and Joe - they are two of the good ones. I highly recommend this one.
Jessica Brill
A good read. On this adventure Kurt and Joe stumble across some bad guys who are using an ocean fishery to create and disperse mutant fish. Numa then have to stop them from speading the fish and cornering a market. The story and layout of the plot is exactly the same the same as all the other Clive Cussler stories, but non the less it was still interesting and easy to read.
Kevin Marsh
Oct 27, 2014 Kevin Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a dependable action adventure, the kind of tale one comes to expect from Mr Cussler. White Death is full of old friends and favourite characters and the easy flowing action is realistic and full of imagery.
A recommended read for all Clive Cussler fans and for those who have not yet met this great author.
Meredith
Nov 30, 2009 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While on vacation I had read the three books I brought with me. With two days left I didn't think I could go without a book, so I borrowed this from my husband. As he told me "it's a guys book written by a guy". Oh well, I was desperate.

I actually really enjoyed this book. Having never read a Clive Cussler novel before it was easy to pick up on the character and of Kurt Austin and NUMA. I'll have to disagree with my husband of it being a "guys book". I will say the last few paragraphs of the no
Pat Murphy
Aug 06, 2015 Pat Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally I don't review fiction. I wanted to say this was my first Cussler book and it made me want to read more. I have enjoyed this as much as Clancy.
Bill
Dec 12, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was on a list of books that I read before 2005. So, I am adding it to my read books on GoodReads. Love all this series
Goodreads Librari...: wrong publishing date 5 18 Nov 05, 2015 10:58AM
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • Mientras vivimos
  • La reina oculta
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • La Rosa Di Alessandria
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

NUMA Files (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)
  • Blue Gold (NUMA Files, #2)
  • Fire Ice (NUMA Files, #3)
  • Lost City (NUMA Files, #5)
  • Polar Shift (NUMA Files, #6)
  • The Navigator (NUMA Files, #7)
  • Medusa (NUMA Files, #8)
  • Devil's Gate (NUMA Files, #9)
  • The Storm (NUMA Files, #10)
  • Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)