Start by marking “Invasion” as Want to Read:
Invasion

Invasion

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,707 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
A sudden outbreak defies diagnosis -- because the causes are unlike anything humankind has ever seen....
Hardcover, First Edition, 338 pages
Published April 1997 by Doubleday Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

AH
Well, it's been a long time since I've read Robin Cook's books. I used to devour these types of books many years ago, but now the appeal seems to have gone. This is not to say that this is a bad book - it's not - it is actually a quick read and entertaining. It just lacks something for me.

What I did like about this book was the originality of the aliens. These guys were microscopic which is a new one for me. I also liked the group of people who combined their efforts to thwart the alien invasio
Patrick Gibson
They are microscopic, and turn humans into smiling, easy going save-the-planet ecologists less worried about greed and wealth than health and survival. So, may I ask, what is wrong with this? Why try to exterminate them? I wondered this all the way through the book.

Gotta be the first time I rooted for the invaders.

Robin, er, MR. COOK, since we are no longer on such good terms, writes in the preface he wrote this on spec for a television miniseries. I am glad I read that. This allowed me to expec
Dee Toomey
Although Robin Cook has written many books, this is the first I have ever read.

The cover says it was made into a TV movie and somehow I missed the movie as well, but after reading the book, I would like to see the movie.

A meteor falls to the earth, landing in a plume of dust and debris. This smooth, black, disk-like meteor suddenly extends an arm and collects samples of the earth to verify that it has indeed landed on the right planet. Once this is confirmed, the plan is put into action.

As an un
Allison
Dec 17, 2007 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alien freaks
A weak offering by Cook, who never bothers to really develop characters anyway, this implausible tale moves pretty fast and is incredibly predictable. Moreover, the ending (which I will not reveal) is perhaps MORE stupid than the amusing/comedic "defeat" of the aliens in "Evolution" (the movie with Duchovny and that guy from the 7-up commercials, whassisname, Orlando Jones,) where they use Selsun Blue to knock out the blubbery alien mass. At least in "Evolution," the ending is plausible. I won't ...more
Janene
May 27, 2014 Janene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written and entertaining. I enjoyed the storyline and think the characters were developed well enough. If you like something with a scifi feel and plot to include aliens..... then this book will be right up your alley. Little bit of a cheesy ending but that's okay I like cheesy ends.

Enjoy your read :)
Joe O'c
Aug 28, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent; Unlike usual medical suspense novels, this time its aliens taking over the Earth through a virus passed on by small black discs; a small group works to develop a cure.
Rosemary Cantrell
I am not a huge science fiction fan and this was all science fiction. I prefer his medical thrillers, but this book was OK.

In this story the alien invaders are viruses who implanted a virus in developing DNA millions of years ago and come back and activate it every few hundred thousand years to see how life is developing. If they don't like what they find, they cause the virus to kill out the existing life form (like the dinosaurs.)

They have returned again and are pleased with the human form, b
Yatharth Bakshi
Jun 21, 2016 Yatharth Bakshi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is good and taught me that basically like black ants, disoriented, dazed until they receive one central command center, the queen. (How philosophical right? I know!) The novel just elaborates one of the pre developed theories bout aliens. The pros and cons are listed below-
PRO
1. The plot develops right from the beginning and it doesn't sag right until the last page, quiet unlike this genre( even H. G. Wells cudnt master it.)
2. Beau is the highlight of the novel. God! How monstrously did
Lisa
Jan 17, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Storyline aside, I can't stand the way Robin Cook writes. His sentence structure is painfully clunky, he chooses to omit contractions in dialog in the weirdest places, and he actually uses exclamation points in narrative. I also felt that the storytelling was immature - not what I expected from such a prolific author. And honestly...the end wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly for me. Not a fan.
Todd Russell
Jun 07, 2012 Todd Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A science fiction departure from Cook's normal medical thriller yarns that still manages to blend enough Cook that it works. Could almost feel those creepy little alien black rocks that infect on touch. I like how the author took a unique point of view for the alien invasion and the ending worked.
Riannon
Aug 27, 2009 Riannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It drove me crazy that the author kept writing "alright" as if it were one word. It is not ALL RIGHT to do that! Don't people use editors anymore?
Belinda
Sep 17, 2015 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Super goede spanningsboog met medische feiten. Het zou zo maar kunnen. Ik denk dat ook dat de spanning ten goede komt. Wat als dit jou overkomt? Op zekere avond wordt de volledige bevolking van een Amerikaanse provincieplaats met een onverklaarbaar verschijnsel geconfronteerd: in alle huizen begeven de elektrische apparaten het. Waarom geven al deze apparaten het tegelijk tijdig op? Hierop volgend vertonen vele bewoners ziektesymptomen. En hun persoonlijkheid verandert. Het eist al snel zijn tol ...more
Dana
Feb 10, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Robin Cook doesn't fail to capture my attention and keep it throughout the entire book! Although, this book does require you to have both a background knowledge of biology and a love for it. I, thankfully, had both.
The story is basically about microscopic aliens that arrive in mini spaceships that look like shiny black stones. They are so smooth but they can inject themselves into a human's bloodstream when the spaceship is brought into contact with the human. The way these aliens fu
CJ Scurria
A strange, small piece of metal has appeared in different places on the earth. The ones who are unfortunate to pick them up soon realize these items are not mere things or weird rocks of some kind as they do a strange thing. A person will suddenly rile in pain then after a small period of time the victim is racked with an unbelievably strong sickness. But after these people end up in the E.R. they end up some time later feeling better. More than better in fact! They feel like new. Little will th ...more
JBradford
Nov 25, 2008 JBradford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Invasion begins with a poetically dramatic two-page prologue in which an extremely advanced spaceship arrives at the edge of our solar system and comes to Earth, after which it initiates a scientific investigation into the nature and makeup of Earth’s life forms. From there it all goes down hill, as Cook’s impossibly intertwined characters get faced with the results of that invasion—including Beau, a promising college senior who dashes off two days later to become hired as the personal assistan ...more
Katie
May 20, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this book on the airplane to read hoping that I could get it done on the return home and leave it in the seat for another "lucky" passenger to read. However, they kept me so entertained in first class that I didn't get to the book until about 2 hours before we landed.

I was quite impressed with how much I liked this book. I thought it would be another hokey far-fetched book about aliens, but boy was I wrong. The way that the author wrote this book and painted such a good picture through hi
BoekenTrol
Jul 14, 2011 BoekenTrol marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elmshishi
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: rateltje-ratel
Got this book in the dutch version of the 'favorite books roundabout'. I used to like the books by Robin Cook, at least I did several years ago. Now this one came along and I started reading it. I must say that it looks like the magic's gone.

The first books were really good, or rather: they were new to me and I found it fun to read.
Over time I found his books less and less fun. Every book was more of the same. There were a few variations in the plot, but not that much.

When I received this book
Teri
Aug 05, 2008 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raymond
Jun 26, 2016 Raymond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When reading Robin Cook one expects to be engrossed in a novel about medical shenanigans and pathologist encounters. You don’t expect (or want) to read about Earthlings morphing into scaly alien creatures. Having read and enjoyed a number of Robin Cook books – not sure if I will risk trying another after being disappointed by the ‘Invasion’!
Delicious Strawberry
I enjoyed this book. This is the first book of Cook's that had a definite sci-fi aspect to it, the others I've read ere just medical thrillers (if with some speculative sci fi in there) but this story involves aliens. I was surprised when I first realized it, but it was still a pretty enjoyable story. The reason I gave it just 3 stars was because the ending was rather cliched and anticlimactic.
Shruthi
May 04, 2014 Shruthi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
It is a fantastic and a mind boggling book. I would recommend this book for people who really love thrillers. Robin cook has created some great characters which is indeed a marvel to behold. even though it is a diamond in the rough, it has some great story in it. But the ending was unexpectedly not so good. I found the ending to be a bit abrupt. it could have been a bit more elaborate. overall, the book was really good. I liked it a lot.
Tracy
I've enjoyed other Robin Cook novels, but this one felt very amateur. Not only was the plot contrived and predictable, but the writing wasn't even enjoyable. Dialogue and character development were weak. One somewhat unique aspect of the book was the combination of alien sci-fi and medical science.
Nancy Zorn
Feb 04, 2013 Nancy Zorn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is the first book I read by Robin Cook. I take it, based on his intro, this story is not typical of his writing. He, in fact, says this book was fun for him because he cut himself loose (I'm paraphrasing). With that intro, I was prepared for a rollicking good time. The story started off well enough and had me in its grasp. Unfortunately, the story started to fall apart and lost me by the end. I finished the book and threw it into the 'give it away' bag. Improbable is the word I want to use ...more
Valerie
Feb 22, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I found this in my parent's library and it was my first introduction to Robin Cook. Since then, he has become one of my go-to authors. The story is intriguing enough to capture a scientifically-minded person like myself without the science distracting from the plot and pace of the story.
David Darson
Feb 16, 2016 David Darson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The finest novel by Cook, in my humble opinion. It has all the action, adventure and world threatening consequences, that a die hard sci-fi fan can ask for. The ending may feel a little rushed and inconsequential, but the fun ride of the start and the middle more than makes up for it.
Nicole Patty
While I usually devour Robin Cook books, this one wasn't one of the bests. I think it's because it's the science fiction genre and I prefer more of the other stuff he typically writes. The book is still a good read, but if you're a new Robin Cook reader - do NOT start with this one.
Kim Nemeth
I used to love the intensity of Robin Cook. Picking this book up after a break of many years I wasn't sure what to expect. Especially from a book published nine years ago. I wasn't disappointed. It was an easy to follow thriller. The short sections made it a great beach read.
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A pretty silly sci-fi/thriller based on the premise that aliens embedded a virus in earth’s lifeforms’ DNA 3 billion years ago, only to activate it in the twentieth century as humankind developed to a point the aliens found suitable for their takeover.
Jewell Moreno
Jan 19, 2015 Jewell Moreno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting, watched everyone in public who coughed or sneezed very closely for the whole time I was reading it. Story about alien virus infecting the human race, and changing humanity. Scary and good characterization. I will never look at a meteor shower the same again.
sushmitha
This is mostly a sci-fi book involving flying saucers and mutating aliens. After an episode involving a shower of strange objects, people in a locality in U.S.A start acting weird after a bout of flu. Cassy notices her fiance Beau acting strange after touching one of the mysterious objects.He becomes astonishingly strong and has a new perspective of the planet.So, its up to Cassy to find out what's happening and save the world from mortal peril.
This book is high on action and I almost forgot if
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Invasion 1 4 Aug 11, 2016 01:49PM
  • Side Effects
  • The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Undone
  • Mary, Mary
  • Blood Lies
  • Flawless (Nathaniel McCormick #2)
  • The Journey Back
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“Los hombres son todos iguales, cuando se sienten mal, no quieren reconocerlo.” 2 likes