Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self

Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The long-awaited book from best-selling spiritual guide Joyce Rupp, creatively leads readers to explore how the image of the door can guide them in a process of discovering their true self. Joyce Rupp brings new life to the ageless spiritual image of the door, weaving insights from East and West with the wisdom of contemporary spiritual writers, poets, and novelists in a p...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Sorin Books (first published August 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Open the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open the Door

Joseph Marsan
Sep 11, 2011 Joseph Marsan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals, small faith groups
An excellent book in many ways. Joyce Rupp mines the metaphor of the door in wonderful ways as an aid to discernment, spiritual growth, and self-discovery over the course of six-weeks. Used the small group process and prayer resource at the back of the book with a contemplative dialogue group at my church...it was well received. Meditating on the daily reflection questions and journaling my responses was very helpful. I highly recommend this book for use by both individuals and groups.
Jeanne Gehret
It certainly took me a lot longer than the recommended six weeks to read this and do the meditations! More like four months. But that's because I needed to ponder and let insights sink in. I like Joyce's pluralistic approach to spirituality, which is well-grounded in Christianity but also brings in Tagore, Campbell, Taize, and many other faith traditions.
Beret
This is a book of daily reflections, scripture verses, contemplations,questions, that challenge the reader to go inward, to be authentic, to discover the true self. I love this book. Joyce Rupp writes beautifully and gracefully. I feel held and loved reading this every day. I was sorry to see it come to an end. I now carry the "door" metaphor with me.
Cynthia  Scott
This book was was written to be a six week personal "workshop" and reflection on opening yourself to God and understanding who the real you is. I read the daily essay for each lesson straight through and found them to be full of wisdom. The author is a widely respected and much-loved leader of Christian retreats throughout the country.
Kristin
My mom, sister, and I chose this book of reflections for Lent this year. This was the first Joyce Rupp book I've read, but have heard great things about her writing, and I agree.
Beth Booram
Aug 04, 2012 Beth Booram is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read Cup of Our Life several years ago and loved it. This one has a similar feel and already has been a pleasure to read.
Beth Barkhau
Can't wait to accompany a group through this one! Rich imagery and metaphor for those living with the intent of presence.
Liz Dean
I found some very nice insights about prayer in this book. It's a little "new age", but has a lot of value.
Diana Blair
A new metaphor for soul examination and reflection...the door.
Karin
I read this book with my book group...what an amazing experience!
Debbie
An awesome book and a fantastic resource for self reflection
Sheila
Jul 30, 2009 Sheila is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is my current devotional/journaling aid. subtitled "A Journey to the True SElf"
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Pam Parker
Pam Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Katie Lloyd
Katie Lloyd marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Manuel Fuentes
Manuel Fuentes marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth Praying Our Goodbyes May I Have This Dance Out of the Ordinary: Prayers, Poems and Reflections for Every Season