Only Strange People Go to Church

Only Strange People Go to Church

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Divine comedy... a joyous celebration of human imperfection" - Louise Welsh.

Maria's job is to support Blue Group, an unruly crew of service users. But she might just have bitten off more than she can chew when she suggests they put on a large-scale community show.
The venue for the show is to be Ray's workshop, a deconsecrated church where she's constantly distracted by lo...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Saraband (first published July 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Only Strange People Go to Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Strange People Go to Church

Abigailann (Abigail)

Despite some adult content (mostly sexual references) I really enjoyed this book. It dealt with difficult issues such as discrimination, social cohesion, disability, religion and relationships in a humorous way. It gave me a lot to think about, as well as quite a few laughs.
Sary Fairchild
Okay, I really really like this book. Were it not for the fact that there were TOO MANY unanswered questions at the end of the book, I'd have given it a 5. I absolutely love Ray. And the neds are great, too. And the Can Can Grans. But Dezzie is an idiot.
AmyStace

Very silly, and the main characters made me angry too as I like to assume that no-one could be that stupid in real life! ;)
Viv
Mar 24, 2008 Viv rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doreen, Michelle, Sheila
Shelves: humour
Funny, refreshing and Glaswegian!
Neil
Funny and well written.
Lucy Reid
Funny & sad.A nice easy read.
David
David added it
Aug 08, 2014
Niamh
Niamh marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Nuria Sanz
Nuria Sanz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Clare Butler
Clare Butler marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Sam Maher
Sam Maher is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The author of four novels and numerous short stories, Laura Marney is a member of the Glasgow G7 group of writers (Alan Bissett, Nick Brookes, Rodge Glass, Laura Marney, Alison Miller, Zoë Strachan and Louise Welsh).

Born and brought up in Glasgow Marney co-founded a theatre group there. Since "nobody else could be bothered", she also began writing scripts for the company.

Marney is a graduate of th...more
More about Laura Marney...
No Wonder I Take A Drink Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby My Best Friend Has Issues For Faughie's Sake The Research Club: an Anthology of New Writing