Start by marking “The Album” as Want to Read:
The Album

The Album

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For years, the five families on exclusive Crescent Place lived in peaceful seclusion. But that changed when old Mrs. Lancaster was found brutally murdered with an ax. Suddenly, motives and suspects are developing at a rapid pace, and when the killer strikes again -- and again -- Louisa Hall knows it's up to her to discover the clues that will develop a picture of murder.
Published April 1st 1998 by Kensington (first published January 1st 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Album

Joseph Rice
This novel takes place on a quiet cul-de-sac, shaped like a crescent, where time seems to have stood still. Five families, five (or more) secrets, and someone is killing them slowly.

There is a lot of suspense in this book, and Mrs Roberts seems to have had a knack for story-telling that keeps the reader interested. Her style in this book is in the form of a report written by one of the people who live in The Crescent, and Roberts masterfully uses foreshadowing as an additional tool besides the u
Ryan G
I'm trying really hard not to giggle to myself while I'm writing this review. For some strange reason I enjoy listening to Christmas music when it's extremely hot outside. It seems to take my mind of the fact that if I step outside, I'll melt into a puddle. Not something I would really look forward too. So juxtapose the idea of writing a review for a book where not one murder, but 4 murders take place; all the while Dean Martin and Perry Como are singing some of my favorite Christmas songs. Not ...more
Intriguing scenario. Read it because of that plus I recall hearing of the author as one of the popular classics. It was disappointing due to the sheer number of suspects, schemes, interrelated characters (revealed only as the story unfolds further mudding the storyline), unclear back story connections, and victims. It was just overdone and too confusing to be enjoyed to the fullest extent. I didn't dislike it but am not interested in reading her other works.
Set during prohibition, the narrator is a twenty-seven-year-old spinster. While the world around her is changing rapidly, the neighborhood she lives in is set in their ways, still clinging to a world that was all but gone. Every day, every week is exactly the same. Which is what makes the murder of one of the residents all the more astonishing. As are the secrets (like the fact that the victim was hording gold) all the more interesting.
The internal dialogue in Louisa's (Lou, the narrator) mind m
Mageesgirl=Jan Hayes
I love to be surprised by a book! Did not expect to enjoy this story so much! A different style, but worth the effort!
Good read, confusing ending

Overall I found this to be a pretty good mystery. As it started off it felt kind of Sherlock Holmes-ish with the seemingly "perfect crime" that seemed impossible to solve. I don't want to ruin the ending but I will say that I was somewhat let down. There was so much going on and so many characters to keep up with that I couldn't focus on what was actually happening.
This was a good mystery with lots of twists and turns. I liked the writing style. The narrator was re-telling the events of the week and when different pieces of information were learned. It jumped around a lot and there was a lot of foreshadowing which got you hooked. I would definitely read another book by this author.
Mary Roberts Rinehart is still one of the best mystery/thriller writers out there. Does it matter that these books were published in the early twentieth century? No. The mysteries are still good and spooky and the heroine smart and resourceful.
This story is told by "Lou" in bits and pieces as she sees or learns about events. A crazy person with a psychotic heart kills a lot of people once her original plan goes awry. The narrative is deliberately choppy and really builds the suspense.
Jenn Estepp
A bit on the long side - and twists and turns just kept coming, probably long after they should've - but still quite enjoyable in the way that I've come to expect from Rinehart's books.

Old-fashioned, old speech, old customs, old society.. but still a wonderful and complicated story. Will read this author again for certain.
Tanya Faberson
Not my favorite Mary Roberts Rinehart novel, but I still love her work in general.
Not a fast read, but worth every minute!
Ida Mcgarity
Circuitous plot!

Very interesting storylines. I enjoyed the many twists and turns This book held my interest all the way. A great read.
... I was not a fan of the writing style, and I honestly still have no idea what ultimately happened. I just did not like this and was, in the end, just reading it to finish it.
BB-IB-$1.99 really liked this book. It had a very involved plot that had me guessing for a long time.I will definitely read more of her books.
Tamara Chambless
It starts off so promising. Then too many people die. It becomes a parody of its genre.
Katherine Fuller
A locked room mystery of sorts. How well do you know your neighbors? How far would you go to preserve appearances? While some weakness in the mystery aspect, some of the characters manage to surprise the reader. A quick read.
I hadn't realized this author was more of a contemporary of Agatha Christie (or, actually, a bit earlier) when I started reading the book, so the style of writing was a bit of a surprise! I've actually already essentially forgotten the ending, but things like this leak out of my head easily. I enjoyed nibbling away at this one each night.
Didn't finish. Couldn't get into it. Might try again later.
At least I think I read it. I had no idea what was going on half the time. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
Theresa Larson
I would have given this book a 4, but the first part of the book was hard to get into.
Carolyn Schmalz
Carolyn Schmalz is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2015
Monica Filyaw
Monica Filyaw is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
JANET marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Kieblan is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
  • Green for Danger
  • Ghost Detective
  • American Gun Mystery
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • The Bishop Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #4)
  • The Problem of the Green Capsule (Dr. Gideon Fell, #10)
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Nero Wolfe, #20)
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Lawless West
  • His Spanish Bride
  • Murder Spins a Tale (A Flock & Fiber Mystery #1)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...