Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction

The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Here are 25 stories of science fiction that push the envelope, by the biggest names in an emerging new crop of high-tech futuristic SF - including Charles Stross, Robert Reed, Alastair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton and Neal Asher. High-tech SF has made a significant comeback in the last decade, as bestselling authors successfully blend the super-science of 'hard science fiction ...more
Published December 14th 2010 by Robinson Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction

Jim
Mine is an RNIB edition for blind people that I got from my local library as a download. There are several readers, all good, & it's about 25 hours long.

Ashley & I don't agree on what makes a good SF short story. Most of these were far too long & not particularly interesting. If you like Greg Bear's writing, you'll probably like this collection. He wrote one of the stories. For all his popularity, I've never found it worthwhile to wade through his prose, though. Too many words for to
Rasheed
The Long Chase (2002) by Geoffrey A. Landis 4.5/5
Waterworld (1994) by Stephen L. Gillett and Jerry Oltion 3/5
Hoop-of-Benzene (2006)
Tommy Carlson
Extreme Science Fiction is a nice collection of extreme science fiction, hence the title. I love short stories and it's an unfortunate reality that authors don't make much from them. So I'm always glad for nice collections like this one. Still, it's a great way to find new authors. (Well, new to me, anyway.)

Many of the stories are great. A few are merely good. I don't think there was a truly bad one in the lot. The main weakness is in the ordering. The collection is ordered from least extreme to
Tim
**** Waterworld by Stephen L. Gillett & Jerry Oltion
***** Hoop-of-Benzine by Robert Reed
**** The New Humans by B
Voodoo Shampoo
The only stories really worth reading:
Anomalies by Gregory Benford - great
Crucifixion Variations by Lawrence Person - decent
Death in the Promised Land by Pat Cadigan - very interesting, quite original
The Long Chase by Geoffrey A. Landis - great
The Creator by Clifford D. Simak - great
The Region Between by Harlan Ellison - great

The other stories:
...& the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon by Paul Di Filippo - funny ending, but overall lacking
The Pacific Mystery by Stephen Baxter - sort of bland and
Marie Michaels
Overall, a great collection of sci-fi -- maybe not as extreme as I'd hoped but thought-provoking and unpredictable. Of course I enjoyed some, particularly the longer stories toward the end, more than others, but none of them felt like a waste of time. Not surprisingly, some of the hard sf is quite dense, and I did find myself skimming some of the very scientific exposition (like passages in "Wang's Carpets" and "Judgment Engine"). On the whole it's a good mix -- some are stronger in the story de ...more
Ratiocination
A good anthology all told, though the format is a little misleading. A high proportion of the stories are only a few years older than the book. I haven't been all that up on new SF recently, so they were new to me, and generally pretty good... but not really a thorough overview of extreme-concept science fiction as a whole. Some might also have benefited from not being read so close together, given similarities in premise. It's hard to read a third or fourth nanotech immortality story with quite ...more
Peter Dunn
Fine in parts – though somewhat padded with stories that simply are not Extreme Science Fiction as claimed by the anthology’s title and I am not just talking about the obviously out of place, predictable, and forgettable story entitled Stuffing by Jerry Oltion.

However the book is worth it alone for the excellent: The Pacific Mystery by Stephen Baxter, The Region Between by Harlan Ellison, Wang's Carpets by Greg Egan, and The Days of Solomon Gursky by Ian McDonald. In the next rank also well wor
Edelhart Kempeneers
Een aantal verhalen vond ik heel goed (Waterworld, The Girl Had Guts), de meeste vielen wel mee, en een aantal vond ik gewoonweg slecht. Ik ga trachten om elk verhaal een score te geven; maar eigenlijk is dat nogal relatief, moest ik het morgen opnieuw doen, zou ik wellicht andere resultaten bekomen...

Anomalies (2001) by Gregory Benford 4/5
And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon (2003) by Paul Di Filippo 2/5
Crucifixion Variations (1998) by Lawrence Person 3/5
The Pacific Mystery (2006) by Stephen Ba
Sean Roach
Jan 04, 2008 Sean Roach rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Extreme enough
Shelves: modern-classics
This book is more extreme than jumping off a cliff without a bungee cord, unless of course, you were jumping off said cliff while reading this book. Extreme!
Sylvain
Good stories, all well (to very well) written.
Kamil Kopacewicz
Some of these stories were good, some bad, and few extremely badly written

I liked The Pacific Mystery, The Long Chase, and Merlin's Gun - those were the fine pieces of text.
Anomalies, Flowers From Alice - those were terrible.

Death In The Promised Land - that is the worst story I have ever read. Atrocity, awful, short-minded, biased. -1/5. Burn it and don't let print again.

Hoop of Benzene was loon and in fact - really extreme. I would read the whole book with this setting.

Andrew
Some interesting stories in here but it's a flawed collection. The 'least extreme to most extreme' structure means that the first half of the collection aren't really extreme at all, certainly nothing along the lines of culture novels for example.

Then there's the fact that of the 19 stories only one is by a female author. The editor claims he tried really hard but couldn't find any more. Well the existence of Alice Sheldon, Sheri Tipper, Ursula Le Guin etc etc suggest he didn't really try nearl
A.G. Rosai
I think my favourite story is The Pacific Mystery
Ned Davis
This very large collection of SiFi stories was exactly what the title stated...Extreme Science. Enjoyed about half of the stories.
Jamel Cato
Worth a read if you're a fan of hard SF. IMHO the Lawrence Person story was easily the best piece.

Whenever I read an anthology devoted to hard SF, I always come away with the same feeling: Reading multiple hard SF stories back-to-back, no matter how good they are, is mentally fatiguing because my mind has to work so hard to keep the science from overwhelming the fiction. Some of the weaker stories are no different than reading a physics textbook.
Katya
It was an OK compilation of stories. Some of them I loved, some of them were more weird than I normally care to read about. Only a selected few have caught my imagination, their ideas being fantastic. Otherwise, the characterization has killed a lot of them for me. I know the stories have little room for making their characters big and bold but all of them were so...two dimensional, little more than cardboard cutouts with whom I couldn't relate to.
Abiola Lawal
I read this four years back, or thereabouts. Very well written collection of concepts I must admit. BUT. I didn't 'feel the Extreme' till I got to Greg Bear's Judgment Engine. It was so high up there it blew the other stories away; It got me seeking out all his books; I even bought the audio version of the book. Seriously.

I recommend this anthology to anyone interested in extreme science fiction based on that singular piece of writing.
Nick
I've enjoyed most of the stories in this book. In particular, "Hoop of Benzene" by Robert Reed was truly excellent. I'll be checking out his other titles.

Some of the stories were a little too far reaching for me. Dealing with the end of the universe and organisms so far evolved and complicated that it seemed too far removed from my simple little existance.
Jonathan
Nov 25, 2014 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is an amazing collection of mindboggling stories that introduce the reader to a wide variety of concepts and ideas. Most stories I liked very much, others less, and some were about an intriguing concept but the story itself was only so and so. But it is definitely and absolutely worth the read, and I advise every science fiction lover to do so.
Zorena
I really did prefer this one over "The Mammoth Book of Science Fiction" but I think that's a personal preference. I like my sci fi a little more edgy and extreme and this book delivered. There were a couple of misses but then again that may have just been me.
I highly recommend this to anyone willing to "read" outside the box.
Robin
I enjoyed some of the earlier, less extreme stories. As you progress through the book, the stories become more "extreme" and go more into hard sci-fi. A little bit for most sci-fi tastes.
Erik Graff
Oct 29, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This is a better-than-average collection of science fiction which I read to get a sense of what was happening in the field since I'd stopped being a voracious reader of the genre.
Joe
There were a few killer stories in here...but, also some junk that wasn't worth the time. A good book to skim the beginning of each store to see if it catches you eye.
Florin Pitea
Good value for money. Most of the stories are good, some very good, a few are truly mind-blowing. Highly recommended.
Bill
Quite enjoyable, some of the stories were just too "out there" to make sense of, but overall, a good collection of SF
bluetyson
The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction: New Generation Far-Future SF (Mammoth Book of) by Mike Ashley (2006)
Cheryl Tarver
there were a few good short stories in here but towards the middle, stories were slow and seemed like filler.
Paul
Mostly interesting but unfortunetly perverse stories. The themes were repetitive toward the end.
D.
The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction by Mike Ashley (2006)
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Federations
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present

“Those that can, do; those that can’t, teach; and those that can’t teach, administrate.” 0 likes