Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed

Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Following a number of sensationalist biographies of Marilyn Monroe in recent years, this comprehensive, meticulously researched volume brings an important fresh perspective on the many controversies in her life. It is essential reading for anyone interested in Marilyn Monroe and the Golden Age of Hollywood. This new edition of "Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed" has...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Robinson Publishing

Merja Pohjola
What can I say? Meticulous research, that clearly tries to show Marilyn - the HUMAN being, with her flaws and good points, neither of them exaggerated. The most trustworthy as biographies go. The fact that there are just a few tiny little details I don't personally agree with doesn't mean a thing, because they are all just matters of opinion and as such, if I were to agree 100 % I would have to write a book of my own, and nobody would agree 100 % with that ;-) So agreeing 99 % with a Marilyn boo...more
Mackenzie
I've read several bios on Marilyn and I think this is the one I like best. Lots of good interviews I've never heard before. Great rare pictures too.
Sidney
This book is an absolute must for all MM fans. Great rare pictures and stories!!!
Ilina
Amazing novel definitely!

Marilyn Monroe is my idol,I totally adore her!Nowadays many people accept her only as a sex symbol and nothing more.It is really sad because she was so much more than just a sex symbol!She was an amazing person and an amazing actress!

Michelle Morgan succeed in showing the unknown side of Marilyn - the real one.Yes, Marilyn was on the top of the world and everybody loved her but the only thing she desired was love.It's sad how she was always hurt and how she never had the...more
Joey Traughber
I am not much of a book reviewer. But,
I can say that I truly love this book!
Michelle Morgan did some wonderful research
for this! I highly recommend this book!
Having never read any Marilyn Monroe bios I was interested in reading one that wasn't just gossip, this book comes across as incredibly well researched. While it does share information about her early years and also her personal life, it largely concentrates on the building of her career and the relationships built through that. I assume that no one can ever know the 'real story' this book certainly raises a number of different points, popular beliefs and opinions surrounding the star's life and...more
Rae Ganci Hammers
Welp. This was just...disappointing. I've read a few biographies of Marilyn Monroe, all of which provided a deeper, more considered view of the woman behind the legend.

Michelle Morgan, while having done her due-diligence in research, struck me as a fan-girl who wanted to paint a pretty picture of her idol, rather than digging into tho complexities of Marilyn's life and relationships.

I also felt really uncomfortable whenever Morgan quoted Bill Pursel (which was constantly) since this book was d...more
Julie_ian_curtis
Sonya Alford
I would like to thank Michelle Morgan for getting her latest book sent to me so that I could review it. This is a new edition which has been revised and expanded, the original book having been published in 2007. I see this book as a lovely tribute to Marilyn Monroe being that this year marks 50 years since her death.

Michelle Morgan is a massive fan of Marilyn Monroe. Over the years Michelle has read a number of books about her, some of which were just plain awful. She got so tired of reading all...more
Lisa
Finally a book about Marilyn Monroe!

What I appreciated most about this book was the fact that it was focused solely on Marilyn Monroe, and not on those around her (namely The Kennedy clan).

The writer certainly did her research and while I knew most of the stories, there were things I read for the first time, but certainly found them to be in line with what I believed.

All too often when reading about Marilyn Monroe, I find too much background is given on those around her, which takes away from th...more
Tara
Michelle Morgan's 'Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed' (US subtitle 'Private and Confidential') is a fully revised, expanded update to her earlier Monroe biography, first published in 2007. This new paperback highlights her research and writing, with a more comprehensive text.

Morgan lives in Britain where, for twelve years, she headed the Marilyn Lives Society. She approaches Monroe's life from a different time and place, with compassion. However, Morgan's attention to detail is rigorous, a...more
Ginnie Grant
I have read a lot of Marilyn Bios and this is one of the better ones. Since not a lot is known for certain about her early life, many books do not go into it, but I like that this one did. It is very well researched and always cites it's sources. if something was rumoured, or had no solid proof, she said so. It also paints a more complete picture of the person as a whole. Many books I have read are biased to one side or the other. Playing up the mental Illness or dependency, or only focusing on...more
Zöe Zhai
Compared to Jung Chang's Mao: The Unknown story, I prefer this one. Yes, this book could also be named as Unknown story of Marilyn Monroe, but the text in this book is much more plain, which is good as a autobio.

In Mao, there are way too much portray of the weather and environment at that time. These unnecessary descriptions made the text less reliable. One cannot help but question the author : how did you know what was the weather like on that day? Neither of your interviewees had remember it,...more
Mary
I have been a serious fan, or "student" of Marilyn Monroe since 1988. In these years I have read books chronicling her life that number in the hundreds. In my opinion Michelle Morgan's "Marilyn Monroe: Private and Confidential" is today the best biography a Marilyn fan has to learn of her life. With new fact finding research and information from never before conducted interviews, I highly recommend this book to any Marilyn fan, casual or serious. It gives us an unbiased look into her life, caree...more
Lianne
This is quite a quick read.

The pictures chosen for the book are beautiful and seem thoughtful, rather than the usual random collections of the same old images that we see every day of Marilyn.

Morgan has done well with this and it's a very good read for any Monroe fan. I enjoyed reading a little more about her childhood and growing as a star. This is far from the usual books that focus merely on her rapid decline and eventual death.
I must say that I very much applaud the fact that Morgan didn't...more
Zelly
I am a huge fan of Marilyn Monroe. I adore the woman. My entire apartment has pictures all over the place of Marilyn. I have read several books about her and I never get tired of reading about her. Therefore I always have very big hopes for a book that has to do with Marilyn. Unfortunately this book was really disappointing, I almost didn’t finish it. If didn´t feel like the author had any thoughts of her own when writing this book. I felt that she was just rambling fact about Marilyn. I found t...more
Gavin
This is an untarnished story of Marilyn Monroe's life told by Michelle Morgan through memories of people who knew Monroe. It's a story of a girl by the name of Norma Jeane; who grew up in a rough manner not known by many, and her turn to cameras to become the star she had always dreamed of. It's the story of a genuine sweetheart who worked relentlessly, but never quite reached happiness, and her tragic passing.

I haven't read many bios. None on Marilyn, so I can't say much except I enjoyed readin...more
Adrienne
The only thing that gives this book two stars is the beautiful pictures and the very, very basic information it contains. I wish I had read a different bio on Marilyn (I think Goddess is a good one). Through all the typos and the lack of depth in the book, I read about shallow encounters random people had with Marilyn, and I didn't learn about many facts in her life. It is very simplistic, and I feel like I still don't know much more about her.
Carrie
I love Marilyn Monroe and thought I'd read about her life. This book has way too many insignificant details that make it very BORING. Then it ends abruptly at the infamous and mysterious parts leading up to and after her death. I am sure the author researched heavily because the bibliography is almost as long as the book!!!! Unless you can't live without Marilyn's early childhood life details, don't bother to read.
Claire Dobson
A very detailed account of Norma Jeane's life except where the Kennedy brothers are concerned (rather vague here). I got the impression that she was a Little Girl Lost, always seeking for unconditional love and acceptance but instead getting fame. At times I felt really sorry for her but at others she came across as a real diva - basically it showed her as a real person with flaws, insecurities and dreams.
Marcia Welch liuzzo
This was a riveting story of Marilyn's life. A story that shows why everyone loved her, flaws and all. The story takes us through her childhood, with no mother or father to speak of, foster homes and her marriages. A lost soul that had a hard time coping with fame and "friends" that used her. This is the best biography of Marilyn that I have read
Emily Smith
Her story is interesting. Raised as an orphan and in multiple foster houses. Marries a man she doesn't really love just so she doesn't have to go to a new foster home when her foster parents move out of state - parts are riveting but still took a while to make it through. Good read if you like bios and history.
Jenn
Play by play of Marilyn's life with extreme detail. In fact, living in Los Angeles, I had to google some of the addresses that were in the book and realized that over time why some of these areas didn't exist any more. Such a sad story of an iconic, powerful woman. If she only knew how people still adored her.
Hannah
It was OK, focused a lot more on her childhood and teenage years. The writer seemed fairly neutral which is good in an autobiography. Learnt a few things about the icon, some good, some bad. Was not aware how suicidal she actually was a lot of the time. Beautiful lady and interesting life.
Kim
Found out that the last 30% of the book was lists of sources and an index although there were some excellent photographs right at the end, which could easily be missed. Great read overall, very informative and well-written.
Brittney Clupny
It really was detailed and I appreciated that because I learned a lot, but it was too detailed. I didn't need to know the address
Bernee
Have read more detailed books about Marilyn Monroe-
this one was OK-readable but nothing new and differant
Georgie
I found this to be my favorite of the biographies I've read so far. It's very detailed but not boring. (:
Gail
A quick read, but it is written more like a report than an engaging, absorbing piece of history.
Aly
Very well researched. Took me a while to read, but I'm glad I did!
  • Marilyn Monroe: Metamorphosis
  • Marilyn: 2the Last Take
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Marilyn
  • Swanson on Swanson
I am an author, biographer, producer, columnist, mum, wife and everything in-between.

My first book was self-published in 1993 and entitled 'The Marilyn Monroe Address Book'. This book led to my first professionally published book, 'Marilyn's Addresses' which was published in 1995 by Smith Gryphon.

Since then I have been busy writing magazine and newspaper articles, researching future biographies an...more
More about Michelle Morgan...
The Mammoth Book of Hollywood Scandals Marilyn Monroe: Private and Confidential Walking in the Footsteps of Marilyn Monroe Tripping Through - 2014 ABNA Entry Improving the Student Experience: A Practical Guide for Universities and Colleges