Start by marking “Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse” as Want to Read:
Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse

Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  28 reviews
""Trauma Junkie gives us a view over the flight nurse's shoulder from liftoff until the patient is delivered to the hospital and the agonizing minutes in between. These fascinating true stories are impossible to put down." -- James M. Betts, MD, Chief of Department of Surgery and Director of Trauma Services, Children's Hospital, Oakland"

""An exciting portrayal of emergency...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Trauma Junkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trauma Junkie

Chrissy
I really enjoyed this book. The book is presented in a way that it feels as if you're the author's coworker, and she's just telling you about the calls they ran the night before when you come to relieve her or over drinks at a bar a few days later. In other words, it's written in that intimate, EMS-bonding type of way. It's a fast-paced read, as evidenced by the fact I read it in one day. At times this book had me laughing out loud, and other times saddened over particular events that were relat...more
Natasha ツ
Totally captivating! Janice tells a few stories starting from when their beepers go off to inform them of a new case, to dropping the patient of at the hospital and following up later to learn the outcome of the case. The stories are retold with so much detail that it really feels like I was an observer on each flight.

While there are a few light-hearted stories, most of the cases have tragic outcomes. It is especially tough to read about the pediatric deaths :( Although I am totally fascinated b...more
Rachel Brown
Solid memoir about what it says on the can, thoughtful and full of interesting stories, but nothing that lifts it above what it says on the can.
Eva Leger
Apr 08, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only ppl VERY interested in the subject
2.5 - I don't know - this isn't as interesting as I'd been expecting. I understand that Hudson isn't an author by profession and was ready to make allowances for this but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone unless they were totally into the subject, not just the subject of nursing, but flight nurses to be exact.
There were parts that were more interesting of course, the parts telling about the patients and what was done to try to save their lives imp...more
Leslie
This book really showed a range of stories and emotions that kept me interested and wanting to read more. It went from sad/tragic to funny/light-hearted stories that helped keep it from getting too dark and depressing. For many people the stories might be too graphic or disturbing (I wouldn't recommend this book to just anyone). But if you have a strong stomach and are interest in these kinds of stories, I would definitely recommend it. I found the book fascinating and really enjoyed reading it....more
A.V. Roe
Whew! This book can be gut wrenching. Spoiler alert, of sorts: if you get squeamish about graphic medical trauma, i.e. blood and more guts than you can ever imagine, from every part of the human anatomy, and invasive medical procedures, this book might not be for you. That's not to say the book isn't worth reading. It is a sobering account of what life is like in the EMT world, and especially in the flight nurse world which adds the excitement of defying gravity and committing lift, in a flying...more
Christina Cici-lee
My mother is a nurse and all through my childhood years I have been fascinated with health science and medicine. I would ponder through all of my mothers medical books justto look at the gruesome pictures and get a sense of what that person was going through. From then on out I've been absolutely fascinated with anything EMTs do and this book really blew my mind. I give it 5 stars because of how passionate Janice told her day to day flights and all the gruesome details to go with it. I planted m...more
Sharon
Fantastic book, I loved it. The stories were a bit gory at times, but I expect that with the types of patients she deals with.

The tales involving children were just heart breaking, and at times, you have to wonder about how many could have been avoided if alcohol had not been involved.

I also agree with this nurses comments on preserving life, when the reality is, the quuality of the life the person has, is not worth it. Like this author, I think some people in the medical proffesion need to look...more
Jordan Gfarb
This was such a great book to read, honestly this woman has a true passion for her nursing job!
NurseKelsey
Superb. And must read for all doctors & nurses in emergency & trauma medicine.
Pam
I was not as taken in by this book as I am most medically based non-fiction. While interesting, at least at first, by the nature of her work on a rescue team that choppered into sites to care for an injured person, there was just a transitional time spent the patient(s) - she and her team cared for the patient on site, stabilized them to travel and delivered them to a medical facility. Interesting in that it was not the usual practice or facility based story.
Allison

Really interesting and easy to read. I picked it up one evening (it was loaned to my husband) and could not put it down. She also tells stories about being an E R nurse. She gets opinionated about having an advanced directive and that there is a time to not intervene with heroic medical lifesaving measures which I don't necessarily disagree with but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the book. Still. Really great informative read.
Michele
Loved it! I didn't think I would enjoy it due to the subject matter but I found it interesting and exciting. The stories of the children hurt due drinking and driving was sad and heartbreaking. This book helped me understand the importance of those in the medical field especially the nurses and the first responders. I have a new respect for those who do this job.
Kimber Scott
I read this book in less than a day. I couldn't put it down and I should have been studying for my psych nursing exam! This book is written clearly and quickly. My adrenaline was on high through the entire read, but a couple of times I had to stop reading to cry. This is an excellent behind the scenes look at emergency nursing. Honest. Heartbreaking.
Rebecca
WOW what a powerful book! Being a med surg nurse I found this book to be very thrilling, interesting and touched on every emotion. I'm thankful that Janice decided to write this book. This has many stories to show how intense the day in the life of a flight nurse is. Some happy and some sad but rewarding cases. Now I'm in search of more like this.
Meg
I absolutely loved this book!! She's a nurse, not an author, but she does a great job telling her stories. This should be a must-read for all medical personnel and also for all patients (so they can understand what it's like from the responder's perspective).
Aaron Turgeon
I had to read this for a class report. I got it from my school library. Finished it in one day. Then later that year i ended up buying the book for myself. I love this book! Have read it twice now. And am planning to read it again here soon.
Shawna
Some of her patient's lived and some died. Interesting reading, but this woman could have used a few more writing classes, she undermined her stories by giving too much away to early in the essay.
Maureen
This was a such a great autobiography of a real flight nurse and the real situations from the early days of the CalStar flight program. It was facinating.
Becky
Janice is by far the most badass nurse, and I will definitely use her and her stories as inspiration for my career. Such an incredible story.
Sunny
Good book for those interested in the subject. I thought that it kept my attention and shared a lot of stories and insight on situtations!
Sean
Fun book for trauma heads. Some good clinical gore and personal reflections about the state of our medical system. Good stuff!
Claudia
Very interesting account of her work as a helicopter unit nurse. Amazing stories, and strong lady.
Georgia (Jeni) Sabovich
An entertaining peek into the life of an emergency flight nurse.
Colin
Great short stories of the adventures of a CalSTAR flight nurse.
Waltrmen
It's a little dream of mine....
Brian
I found this book entertaining.
Josh
  • Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse
  • Get Well Soon! My (un)Brilliant Career As A Nurse
  • En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • Confessions of a Surgeon: The Good, the Bad, and the Complicated...Life Behind the O.R. Doors
  • I Wasn't Strong Like This When I Started Out: True Stories of Becoming a Nurse
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Volume): Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • In Stitches
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Maternal and Child Health Nursing: Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family
Trauma Team