Start by marking “Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse” as Want to Read:
Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse

Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  37 reviews
""Trauma Junkie gives us a view over the flight nurse's shoulder from liftoff until the patient is delivered to the hospital and the agonizing minutes in between. These fascinating true stories are impossible to put down." -- James M. Betts, MD, Chief of Department of Surgery and Director of Trauma Services, Children's Hospital, Oakland"

""An exciting portrayal of emergency
Published December 1st 2011 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Trauma Junkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trauma Junkie

I really enjoyed this book. The book is presented in a way that it feels as if you're the author's coworker, and she's just telling you about the calls they ran the night before when you come to relieve her or over drinks at a bar a few days later. In other words, it's written in that intimate, EMS-bonding type of way. It's a fast-paced read, as evidenced by the fact I read it in one day. At times this book had me laughing out loud, and other times saddened over particular events that were relat ...more
Totally captivating! Janice tells a few stories starting from when their beepers go off to inform them of a new case, to dropping the patient of at the hospital and following up later to learn the outcome of the case. The stories are retold with so much detail that it really feels like I was an observer on each flight.

While there are a few light-hearted stories, most of the cases have tragic outcomes. It is especially tough to read about the pediatric deaths :( Although I am totally fascinated b
Rachel Brown
Solid memoir about what it says on the can, thoughtful and full of interesting stories, but nothing that lifts it above what it says on the can.
This is a good book to pick up for anyone interested in flight nursing, or any other part of healthcare: ER nurses and providers who take care of the patients flown in; therapists, religious leaders, or mental health professionals who take care of patients recovering from illness and trauma; perhaps even loved ones of people who do these jobs and want to understand what it's like. Of course, anyone just interested in healthcare or gruesome stories might enjoy it, too. It does help a little to ha ...more
Eva Leger
Apr 08, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only ppl VERY interested in the subject
2.5 - I don't know - this isn't as interesting as I'd been expecting. I understand that Hudson isn't an author by profession and was ready to make allowances for this but it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone unless they were totally into the subject, not just the subject of nursing, but flight nurses to be exact.
There were parts that were more interesting of course, the parts telling about the patients and what was done to try to save their lives imp
This book really showed a range of stories and emotions that kept me interested and wanting to read more. It went from sad/tragic to funny/light-hearted stories that helped keep it from getting too dark and depressing. For many people the stories might be too graphic or disturbing (I wouldn't recommend this book to just anyone). But if you have a strong stomach and are interest in these kinds of stories, I would definitely recommend it. I found the book fascinating and really enjoyed reading it. ...more
I really enjoyed this book. Janice Hudson has a gift for writing and some of her adventures as an emergency flight nurse on a helicopter with CALSTAR are the stuff of TV dramas. Cases vary from heart attacks to gunshot victims to families terribly injured in car crashes to young babies barely holding on while the CALSTAR helicopter tries to whisk them from a rural area to a big city pediatric hospital before they get worse and die. In between stories of patients and flights, Ms. Hudson weaves ot ...more
I enjoy reading medical field memoirs (yet have zero interest in working in the field) and this one was a stand out because I never really thought about who is on board those medical helicopters and what they have to face from shift to shift, basically very, very sick or injured people. This was a quick read and you felt like the author was relaying some work stories just to you. The medical knowledge needed to understand this book was very minimal as she explained what you needed to know. Very ...more
A very well written book that captures all teh many facets that go into the profession. I especially liked an opportunity to see how things look from a different perspective; having been on the ground side of EMS for 20+ years, I really appreciate when the helo shows up with the additional skill sets that often make the difference. My hat's off to Janice Hudson and all that she accomplished.
Christina Cici-lee
My mother is a nurse and all through my childhood years I have been fascinated with health science and medicine. I would ponder through all of my mothers medical books justto look at the gruesome pictures and get a sense of what that person was going through. From then on out I've been absolutely fascinated with anything EMTs do and this book really blew my mind. I give it 5 stars because of how passionate Janice told her day to day flights and all the gruesome details to go with it. I planted m ...more
Fantastic book, I loved it. The stories were a bit gory at times, but I expect that with the types of patients she deals with.

The tales involving children were just heart breaking, and at times, you have to wonder about how many could have been avoided if alcohol had not been involved.

I also agree with this nurses comments on preserving life, when the reality is, the quuality of the life the person has, is not worth it. Like this author, I think some people in the medical proffesion need to look
Emily Poulin
incredible story

This book gives you am incredible insight into the work and life of a flight nurse. Janice's story is one that you will find holding your breathe through, chuckling at moments and wiping a tear in othersz
"Trauma care is about understanding of [sic] how a human body reacts to outside forces, whether a bullet, a car accident, fall or burn. If we can understand the forces, we can anticipate injuries, prioritize them, starting with the ones that will kill you first."

Trauma Junkie is one damn-fine read. While an older memoir with second-edition updated reflections, Hudson has an authentic, embraceable voice and a gift for medical illustration that should make most men's testes yo-yo up into pelvic c
Tia Yarborough
Great book!

Read it twice! Honest and relevant. A very real look into what we face daily, the emotions felt and the wonderful ability to love the job through all of its ups, downs, deaths, and survivors!
Christine Bonin
Really enjoyed reading this one. I loved reading the anecdotes of a trauma junkie like myself. I hope that I will be as great a flight nurse as this author someday!
Jordan Gfarb
This was such a great book to read, honestly this woman has a true passion for her nursing job!
Superb. And must read for all doctors & nurses in emergency & trauma medicine.
Jamie Mattison
Great read

Trauma junkie was very entertaining! I work as an RN in a rural ER and thoroughly enjoyed the fascinating stories!
Lots and lots of fast-paced medical drama.
I was not as taken in by this book as I am most medically based non-fiction. While interesting, at least at first, by the nature of her work on a rescue team that choppered into sites to care for an injured person, there was just a transitional time spent the patient(s) - she and her team cared for the patient on site, stabilized them to travel and delivered them to a medical facility. Interesting in that it was not the usual practice or facility based story.

Really interesting and easy to read. I picked it up one evening (it was loaned to my husband) and could not put it down. She also tells stories about being an E R nurse. She gets opinionated about having an advanced directive and that there is a time to not intervene with heroic medical lifesaving measures which I don't necessarily disagree with but it didn't really fit in with the rest of the book. Still. Really great informative read.
Loved it! I didn't think I would enjoy it due to the subject matter but I found it interesting and exciting. The stories of the children hurt due drinking and driving was sad and heartbreaking. This book helped me understand the importance of those in the medical field especially the nurses and the first responders. I have a new respect for those who do this job.
Kimber Scott
I read this book in less than a day. I couldn't put it down and I should have been studying for my psych nursing exam! This book is written clearly and quickly. My adrenaline was on high through the entire read, but a couple of times I had to stop reading to cry. This is an excellent behind the scenes look at emergency nursing. Honest. Heartbreaking.
WOW what a powerful book! Being a med surg nurse I found this book to be very thrilling, interesting and touched on every emotion. I'm thankful that Janice decided to write this book. This has many stories to show how intense the day in the life of a flight nurse is. Some happy and some sad but rewarding cases. Now I'm in search of more like this.
I absolutely loved this book!! She's a nurse, not an author, but she does a great job telling her stories. This should be a must-read for all medical personnel and also for all patients (so they can understand what it's like from the responder's perspective).
Aaron Turgeon
I had to read this for a class report. I got it from my school library. Finished it in one day. Then later that year i ended up buying the book for myself. I love this book! Have read it twice now. And am planning to read it again here soon.
Some of her patient's lived and some died. Interesting reading, but this woman could have used a few more writing classes, she undermined her stories by giving too much away to early in the essay.
This was a such a great autobiography of a real flight nurse and the real situations from the early days of the CalStar flight program. It was facinating.
Janice is by far the most badass nurse, and I will definitely use her and her stories as inspiration for my career. Such an incredible story.
Good book for those interested in the subject. I thought that it kept my attention and shared a lot of stories and insight on situtations!
  • A Nurse's Story
  • Get Well Soon! My (un)Brilliant Career As A Nurse
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire
  • Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Volume): Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems
  • Confessions of a Surgeon: The Good, the Bad, and the Complicated...Life Behind the O.R. Doors
  • Emergency Doctor
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • I Wasn't Strong Like This When I Started Out: True Stories of Becoming a Nurse
  • Report from Engine Co. 82