Start by marking “Sanditon and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Sanditon and Other Stories

Sanditon and Other Stories

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Readers of Jane Austen’s six great novels are left hungering for more, and more there is: the marvelous unpublished manuscripts she left behind, collected here.

Sanditon
might have been Austen’s greatest novel had she lived to finish it. Its subject matter astonishes: here is Austen observing the birth pangs of the culture of commerce, as her country-bred heroine, a foolish
Published April 1996 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sanditon and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanditon and Other Stories

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëEmma by Jane AustenPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Women in White
248th out of 429 books — 95 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëLes Misérables by Victor Hugo1984 by George OrwellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Everyman Library Classics
149th out of 152 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Baker
This is collection of Jane Austen's "unpublished" work is required reading for diehard Jane Austen fans, Janeites, casual fans, English literature students, and anyone who is interested in the process by which one learns to write.

The title story, Sanditon, is actually Jane Austen's final novel, which she was unable to finish. A funny, intriguing story of a little seaside resort, its greatest asset in its unfinished state is the comedy. I've always had the sense that toward the end of her life sh
Leslie
I only read the unfinished novel, Sanditon, in preparation for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries spin-off, Welcome to Sanditon. Although the excerpt is short (74 pages), I am surprised to barely see a plot. The story is not very engaging and the characters are only average, so I'm very interested to see what the LBD folks do with it.
Judy
Oct 09, 2014 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jane Austen freaks like me
This has had to go back to the library and I've read all but the last few pages, which include some prayers. I'll borrow it again perhaps to finish it off, as a matter of following through on my mission to read everything Jane Austen wrote that has been published!

I really was blown away by this. It's hard to give a short summary because each of the items within the collection is so different.

Sanditon, I had read before, but forgotten. It struck me as so very cynical in flavour. I hadn't rememb
Lea Ann
I wish I could rate all the sections of this book separately. Obviously, the book was unfinished, and never published. It suffers from not having Austen's final editing.

On the whole, the first three stories in this collection are worthwhile. Sandition is unfinished, and I'm not sure where Austen was going to go, but it's clear she was far more interested in writing in a more satirical style than her earlier work. The characters are more deliberately unlikeable. The same can be said with The Wat
DC
I read the Everyman's Library edition of a book that includes Sanditon, The Watsons, Lady Susan, and the Juvenilia - not the "Sanditon completed" novel that the description of this book erroneously depicts.

Sanditon is inherently unsatisfying because of its incompleteness. The Watsons, as a tale of several sisters, drew me in completely. And then disappointed me by ending so soon. But I knew I was in for such let downs.

Lady Susan is great. I feared I wouldn't be able to keep track of the characte
Caroline
I didn't actually finish this, but I got as far as I was going to, I think. This is an unfinished novel, so at a certain point it dissolves into something that looks more like notes than an actual story. So it's more scholarly interest than anything.

Basically, reading this was pretty sad b/c I could see the flashes of potential for a great novel -- possibly a larger, more ambitious social novel, the kind you could see Jane reaching towards before she pulled back, in 'Mansfield Park.' And knowing
Jason
Reading Sandition, like reading The Watsons, had good points but largely felt unsatisfying and more of a task for scholars than a worthwhile activity for readers. Both Sandition and The Watsons are fragments of unfinished novels, both bear all the hallmarks of Jane Austen, and both have a lot to interest them. But it is hard to be engaged with the introduction of a plethora of characters when you know that you will not be observing them develop into anything.

Sandition is interesting in part beca
Kandy
Sanditon preserves the 'land developer' who surprisingly even appeared in England in Austin's time. The people who can envision a town, sell the idea to those with money and create a development. Developers were with us in the 18th century and they continue today. Jane Austin exposes the character of land developers and hypochondriacs. Maybe it takes imagination to be either a land developer or a hypochondriac. The last story “Catherine” also has a hypochondriac who is self absorbed somewhat cri ...more
Katherine
I would have loved to see how this book ended. Jane Austen didn't write enough of the novel for us even to guess what the end would be.. but there is so much potential here. Anyone know of a good author who completed it?
My favorite quote in Sanditon is one that describes the types of novels we who love Jane Austen novels love: novels that "exhibit the progress of strong passion from the first germ of incipient susceptibility to the utmost energies of reason half-dethroned- where we see the stro
Catherine
It would be so wonderful if Sanditon had been finished there was so much potential there.
Catherine
The longer works at the beginning of the text are certainly worth reading.
Sanditon, the title work, was Austen's final work. Had she been able to complete the book, it would probably have been her best. The descriptions of the characters are truly wonderful. Sadly, in the portion she was able to write, nothing has really happened yet.

Lady Susan is another notable work, a deliciously fun epistolary novella tracing a devious woman as she flirts her way to damnation.

The book also presents the Juve
Janet
This is a collection of unfinished novels, short stories, letters, plays, poems, prayers and snippets by Jane Austen. Most are from her early life. Unfinished stories by nature aren't very satisfying, but it is interesting to see how much more biting Austen's satire could be at times, in comparison to her relatively gentle completed novels. Recommended for hard-core Austen fans only, and only after you've read everything else.
Jennie
possibly the best work(s) jane austen completed (or should i say didn't complete)! villains and ruin replace love and heroes in this collection. while staples of austen's work are still found throughout the stories, this book truly showcases the author's genius and ability to create unique and utterly strange characters and settings. i believe i saved the best for last!
Alison
Sanditon is actually my favorite of Jane Austen's, but it was never completed. It's another that takes place in Bath, but the tone is completely different from Persuasion. The "other stories" are also very interesting, although, I find that since they are not very long, I don't get wonderfully lost in them as I do with Austen regular novels.
Siria
Collection of unfinished work and some juvenilia. The Watsons was probably deservedly unfinished; I will forever wonder what would have occurred in Sanditon; while Lady Susan is a delicious bit of soap opera. Definitely worth picking up if you're an Austen enthusiast.
Tara Fortier
I loved this collection. I have read all of Austen's novels and it was a joy to read these shorter and unfinished works. I wish that there was more to read of Sandition and The Watsons. Lady Susan was great, I'd never before read an epistolary novel that I liked.
Jen
A great find for Jane Austen fans. It was nice to read some of her lesser-known works ("Lady Susan", etc.) and her earlier writings. A number of her stories from when she was younger were actually less subtle in the humor and more outrageous in the situations.
Destiny
There is a reason why these stories written when Austin was a young teen aren't well known. They are pretty uninteresting in comparison with her better known works. It does provide some interesting insight into her later character development.
Michelle
The first 11 chapters of Sandition are wonderful, but the remainder is very obviously not Jane. It's a decent attempt, just not one I enjoyed. I would rather have left it unfinished. The rest of the pieces are classic Austen.
Satia
For the die hard Jane Austen fan more pleasure than not. For those who don't admire Austen's oeuvre, this can be skipped. For more:

Mell
One last collection of Jane's work I have not yet read. My Austen group will gathr in February for tea and read some of these aloud. Written during her youth, these are supposed to be quite funny.
Emily
Jul 26, 2011 Emily added it
I just couldn't get into this one and I usually love all things Austen. I am not saying it was bad, maybe I just wasn't in the mood right now.
Courtney
Unfinished stories are difficult to read, but I did enjoy Sanditon and wished that I could read the novel that Austen had intended to write.
Not bad. Worth reading just to see what else Jane Austen worked on, although it's frustrating that the unfinished works end so abruptly!
Anna
I loved "Lady Susan," and craved more of "The Watson's." "Sanditon" was also getting interesting when it abruptly ended.
Ida
Sep 25, 2007 Ida rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jane austen lovers
Shelves: notsonewfiction
it's a bit hard that it doesn't end. but if you have read every single other thing you will enjoy it immensely.
Vicki
Disappointing in the fact that it isn't completed, but worth reading.
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Sara Repasy
Sara Repasy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • A Fine Brush on Ivory: An Appreciation of Jane Austen
  • Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde and Other Stories
  • The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart
  • Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • The Portable Romantic Poets: Blake to Poe
  • The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds
  • For the Love of Animals: The Rise of the Animal Protection Movement
  • Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • Mary and Maria by Mary Wollstonecraft & Matilda by Mary Shelley (Penguin Classics)
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...
Pride and Prejudice Sense and Sensibility Emma Persuasion Northanger Abbey

“The World is pretty much divided between the weak of mind & the strong- between those who can act & those who cannot, & it is the bounden Duty of the Capable to let no opportunity of being useful escape them.” 2 likes