Start by marking “Sanditon and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Sanditon and Other Stories

Sanditon and Other Stories

Readers of Jane Austen’s six great novels are left hungering for more, and more there is: the marvelous unpublished manuscripts she left behind, collected here.

Sanditon
might have been Austen’s greatest novel had she lived to finish it. Its subject matter astonishes: here is Austen observing the birth pangs of the culture of commerce, as her country-bred heroine, a foolish
Published April 1996 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sanditon and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanditon and Other Stories

Judy
Apr 16, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jane Austen freaks like me
This has had to go back to the library and I've read all but the last few pages, which include some prayers. I'll borrow it again perhaps to finish it off, as a matter of following through on my mission to read everything Jane Austen wrote that has been published!

I really was blown away by this. It's hard to give a short summary because each of the items within the collection is so different.

Sanditon, I had read before, but forgotten. It struck me as so very cynical in flavour. I hadn't rememb
Leslie Ann
May 07, 2013 Leslie Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I only read the unfinished novel, Sanditon, in preparation for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries spin-off, Welcome to Sanditon. Although the excerpt is short (74 pages), I am surprised to barely see a plot. The story is not very engaging and the characters are only average, so I'm very interested to see what the LBD folks do with it.
Eduardo
May 03, 2015 Eduardo rated it liked it
This book has too parts: the first includes a complete 'novella' and two fragments of novels Austen left unfinished. The 'novella' (Lady Susan, an epistolary work of fiction) is a little gem, where Austen's customary wit becomes acerbic, for once.
The second part has her juvenile writings from the ending of the XVIII century, which I found uninteresting.
Jen
Sep 23, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
A great find for Jane Austen fans. It was nice to read some of her lesser-known works ("Lady Susan", etc.) and her earlier writings. A number of her stories from when she was younger were actually less subtle in the humor and more outrageous in the situations.
Kathy
May 28, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
Read only the novella Lady Susan which was amusing and generously quoted in the movie Love and Friendship. not her best but clever.
Paul Baker
Sep 21, 2014 Paul Baker rated it really liked it
This is collection of Jane Austen's "unpublished" work is required reading for diehard Jane Austen fans, Janeites, casual fans, English literature students, and anyone who is interested in the process by which one learns to write.

The title story, Sanditon, is actually Jane Austen's final novel, which she was unable to finish. A funny, intriguing story of a little seaside resort, its greatest asset in its unfinished state is the comedy. I've always had the sense that toward the end of her life sh
Lea Ann
Feb 15, 2011 Lea Ann rated it liked it
I wish I could rate all the sections of this book separately. Obviously, the book was unfinished, and never published. It suffers from not having Austen's final editing.

On the whole, the first three stories in this collection are worthwhile. Sandition is unfinished, and I'm not sure where Austen was going to go, but it's clear she was far more interested in writing in a more satirical style than her earlier work. The characters are more deliberately unlikeable. The same can be said with The Wat
Feb 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book contains a few novels that Jane Austen did not complete as well as many short stories that she wrote. It reminds readers of Jane Austen of all the novels she had yet to write if she had not died so young. The one I wish she had completed the most was Catherine. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. So many of her short stories are very funny. I could not stop laughing at some of the characters and the events of the story. Towards the end of the book there are parts where Jane documented wha ...more
DC
Jun 23, 2010 DC rated it really liked it
I read the Everyman's Library edition of a book that includes Sanditon, The Watsons, Lady Susan, and the Juvenilia - not the "Sanditon completed" novel that the description of this book erroneously depicts.

Sanditon is inherently unsatisfying because of its incompleteness. The Watsons, as a tale of several sisters, drew me in completely. And then disappointed me by ending so soon. But I knew I was in for such let downs.

Lady Susan is great. I feared I wouldn't be able to keep track of the characte
Caroline
Jan 08, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, prose
I didn't actually finish this, but I got as far as I was going to, I think. This is an unfinished novel, so at a certain point it dissolves into something that looks more like notes than an actual story. So it's more scholarly interest than anything.

Basically, reading this was pretty sad b/c I could see the flashes of potential for a great novel -- possibly a larger, more ambitious social novel, the kind you could see Jane reaching towards before she pulled back, in 'Mansfield Park.' And knowing
Jason
Feb 25, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, classic, novella
Reading Sandition, like reading The Watsons, had good points but largely felt unsatisfying and more of a task for scholars than a worthwhile activity for readers. Both Sandition and The Watsons are fragments of unfinished novels, both bear all the hallmarks of Jane Austen, and both have a lot to interest them. But it is hard to be engaged with the introduction of a plethora of characters when you know that you will not be observing them develop into anything.

Sandition is interesting in part beca
Kandy
Feb 22, 2009 Kandy rated it liked it
Sanditon preserves the 'land developer' who surprisingly even appeared in England in Austin's time. The people who can envision a town, sell the idea to those with money and create a development. Developers were with us in the 18th century and they continue today. Jane Austin exposes the character of land developers and hypochondriacs. Maybe it takes imagination to be either a land developer or a hypochondriac. The last story “Catherine” also has a hypochondriac who is self absorbed somewhat cri ...more
Katherine
I would have loved to see how this book ended. Jane Austen didn't write enough of the novel for us even to guess what the end would be.. but there is so much potential here. Anyone know of a good author who completed it?
My favorite quote in Sanditon is one that describes the types of novels we who love Jane Austen novels love: novels that "exhibit the progress of strong passion from the first germ of incipient susceptibility to the utmost energies of reason half-dethroned- where we see the stro
Leslie
Jun 02, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 2016: reread of "Love and Freindship"
This epistolary novella deserves the title often bestowed upon it of Juvenilia - the spelling errors (I don't really know why they have been preserved!) combined with the melodramatic plot are juvenile! The satire though shows Austen's budding talent. I had to laugh several times, especially as whenever Laura didn't know what to do, she fainted!

I decided to reread this because of the new film "Love and Friendship" only to discover that the movie is actua
Catherine
The longer works at the beginning of the text are certainly worth reading.
Sanditon, the title work, was Austen's final work. Had she been able to complete the book, it would probably have been her best. The descriptions of the characters are truly wonderful. Sadly, in the portion she was able to write, nothing has really happened yet.

Lady Susan is another notable work, a deliciously fun epistolary novella tracing a devious woman as she flirts her way to damnation.

The book also presents the Juve
Janet
Jul 22, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok
This is a collection of unfinished novels, short stories, letters, plays, poems, prayers and snippets by Jane Austen. Most are from her early life. Unfinished stories by nature aren't very satisfying, but it is interesting to see how much more biting Austen's satire could be at times, in comparison to her relatively gentle completed novels. Recommended for hard-core Austen fans only, and only after you've read everything else.
Bianca
Jul 16, 2015 Bianca rated it liked it
Sanditon was definitely set up to take on more class and race issues, but we get only a taste of it. The seaside town is being set up to be the next big destination, but it has some rather foolish people in charge of that future. I wonder if we would have hints of gentrification and how the "West Indies" heiress would have altered how we perceive Austen novels.
Alison
Aug 18, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it
Sanditon is actually my favorite of Jane Austen's, but it was never completed. It's another that takes place in Bath, but the tone is completely different from Persuasion. The "other stories" are also very interesting, although, I find that since they are not very long, I don't get wonderfully lost in them as I do with Austen regular novels.
Jennie
Oct 16, 2012 Jennie rated it it was amazing
possibly the best work(s) jane austen completed (or should i say didn't complete)! villains and ruin replace love and heroes in this collection. while staples of austen's work are still found throughout the stories, this book truly showcases the author's genius and ability to create unique and utterly strange characters and settings. i believe i saved the best for last!
Alisha
Dec 05, 2016 Alisha rated it it was ok
It's so hard to rate this book because you go into it knowing that it is a collection of unfinished, unedited scraps written by Jane Austen. I'd rate each one individually if I could. Lady Susan and Love and Friendship are a lot of fun, the rest are just too hard to get through. Sorry Jane, I know it's not your fault!
Destiny
May 23, 2008 Destiny rated it it was ok
There is a reason why these stories written when Austin was a young teen aren't well known. They are pretty uninteresting in comparison with her better known works. It does provide some interesting insight into her later character development.
Satia
Jan 13, 2011 Satia rated it liked it
For the die hard Jane Austen fan more pleasure than not. For those who don't admire Austen's oeuvre, this can be skipped. For more:

Michelle
The first 11 chapters of Sandition are wonderful, but the remainder is very obviously not Jane. It's a decent attempt, just not one I enjoyed. I would rather have left it unfinished. The rest of the pieces are classic Austen.
Siria
Jul 04, 2008 Siria rated it liked it
Collection of unfinished work and some juvenilia. The Watsons was probably deservedly unfinished; I will forever wonder what would have occurred in Sanditon; while Lady Susan is a delicious bit of soap opera. Definitely worth picking up if you're an Austen enthusiast.
Tara Fortier
Apr 10, 2013 Tara Fortier rated it really liked it
I loved this collection. I have read all of Austen's novels and it was a joy to read these shorter and unfinished works. I wish that there was more to read of Sandition and The Watsons. Lady Susan was great, I'd never before read an epistolary novel that I liked.
Mell
Dec 07, 2008 Mell rated it liked it
One last collection of Jane's work I have not yet read. My Austen group will gathr in February for tea and read some of these aloud. Written during her youth, these are supposed to be quite funny.
Ida
Sep 25, 2007 Ida rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: jane austen lovers
Shelves: notsonewfiction
it's a bit hard that it doesn't end. but if you have read every single other thing you will enjoy it immensely.
Courtney
Apr 18, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, 2013
Unfinished stories are difficult to read, but I did enjoy Sanditon and wished that I could read the novel that Austen had intended to write.
Mar 20, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Not bad. Worth reading just to see what else Jane Austen worked on, although it's frustrating that the unfinished works end so abruptly!
Emily
Jul 26, 2011 Emily added it
I just couldn't get into this one and I usually love all things Austen. I am not saying it was bad, maybe I just wasn't in the mood right now.
  • Shirley & The Professor
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • For the Love of Animals: The Rise of the Animal Protection Movement
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Intimations of Austen
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties
  • Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record
  • Mansfield Revisited
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...

“The World is pretty much divided between the weak of mind & the strong- between those who can act & those who cannot, & it is the bounden Duty of the Capable to let no opportunity of being useful escape them.” 2 likes