Start by marking “The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do

The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do

In this sequel to The Secret (over 350,000 copies sold), bestselling author Mark Miller again uses a simple, practical, parable format to teach millions of team leaders and team members how to elevate the success of any type of team in any organization.
Published October 3rd 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published September 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Teams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Teams

William "Spig"
Jan 14, 2016 William "Spig" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 Star Book! I consider Mark Miller to be a personal mentor. I can feel Ken Blanchard's integrity and love for leaders really come through is the short easy read book.

I love the format of telling a story while teaching. I really grasp and can find myself comparing and looking to apply the great teaching in The Secret.

Thanks so much for writing this book. My favorite thing are some of the great questions the book challenges the main character with. What is the purpose of your team?
• Where do you
Becky Robinson
Mar 02, 2013 Becky Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written in a parable style and outlines the three important components of every great team.

I highly recommend this book for any leader who wants to be more effective in creating a high performing team, as it provides great direction and specific, helpful, action-oriented advice in a format that is easy to read and fun.

Read this title along with the others from Mark Miller, The Secret and Great Leaders Grow.
Tonya Willis-porath
This book was assigned to me by my new manager/mentor. Our team is new, and she thought that this book would help kick off success. I think she was right. The book was written very differently than any 'management' book I have previously read. There was dialog, which made it feel more like a novel. That being said the message of "Talent, Skills, and Community" resonated well with not only me, but my new peers.

Excellent read for managers that really want to encourage a team environment. Great bo
Emmanuel Balan
May 10, 2016 Emmanuel Balan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: better-me
One of the best books on successful team principles based on a fictional story. Mark Miller does an excellent job of teaching the reader what makes successful teams through interviews of successful leaders in different industries. As the reader, you are engaged throughout the story and can follow along principle through principle. You take away simple, effective and applicable principles of a high performance team.
A must read if you're a team leader or simply a team member looking to improve yo
Ash Ryan
Mark Miller takes a page from Aristotle's book and opens his story by noting that if we want to know what makes a team exceptional, we should begin by studying exceptional teams. He then proceeds to do so with a series of case studies from a variety of fields, showing how the same fundamental principles apply in each of them even if the terminology varies somewhat.[return][return]And the principles he identifies are indeed fundamental. First is selecting the right people to make up the team, who ...more
Martina Mcgowan
Feb 23, 2013 Martina Mcgowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Secret of Teams

The secret to Mark Miller's book, "The Secret of Teams, " is what great teams, and of course, leaders do. How do you make the transition from knowing to doing? "The Secret of Teams" is here to help answer some of your questions. How do you take your group from doing ho-hum, "good enough for government" work to a unit willing to pursue the best in themselves and in each other?

Talent, skill and community, Miller tells us is what makes great teams great.

The focus first must be on
Ken
Nov 16, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
Oddly written, but wonderfully helpful book on the essence of building powerful and creative business teams. It's written as a story, which I appreciate because I tend to find most business help books to be overly boring tomes. It's strange to read a book written that way, but I quickly became grateful for the help. The books also contains terrific, thoughtful help in this process.
Jay Hawes
Jun 17, 2014 Jay Hawes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good leadership book with those wanting to take their teams to the next level. Nothing groundbreaking but all-in-all an excellent reminder of what makes a great team tick. As a fable, I was able to read it in one sitting. It wasn't as engaging as a Lencioni book but I'd recommend it to anyone for a quick read.
Katy Sammons
Apr 30, 2015 Katy Sammons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The management principles in this book are good and are presented in a way that is easy to understand and to implement. I have a business background, but I currently direct a ministry, and what I learned can be applied in any organization to improve results.
Bryan
This is one of those "thought leadership" books that is based on some anecdotal evidence rather than on real research. It makes some good points but isn't terribly compelling.
Chris
Aug 25, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2014

Good reminders:

Effective leaders bring and energetic mix of urgency and optimism.

The secret of teams, according to the authors, is threefold: 1) talent, 2) training and 3) teamwork.

Talent means selecting the right people. As Collins would say, "do what you have to do in order to get the right people on the bus and in the right seats."

Training means investing in those talented few so that they grow more effective and efficient, i.e. productive, over time.

Team building means focusing on the com
Jason Brubaker
Jun 18, 2014 Jason Brubaker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Far too wordy and not helpful. I cringed at the corniness of the stories with every turn of the page. This material is blatantly obvious to anyone who has been in business for even a short period of time.
Jim
Mar 28, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, simple, egaging read about building great teams. You might also consider reading the Wisdom of Teams (Katzenbach) for more depth.
Deanna
Mar 06, 2015 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The principles were helpful, but the story surrounding them felt contrived and was awfully boring.
Rosalia
Mar 19, 2016 Rosalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid

If you are multitasking all the time and feel the people around you are not pulling their weight then this book is for you.
Chus Mendez
Jul 07, 2016 Chus Mendez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and extremelly inspiring book. 100% recommend it!
Ajay Balamurugadas
I think it is appropriate for any team.
Greg
The Secret of Teams is an easy read, and marginally entertaining (as a fable), but not especially helpful. It's not that it is wrong...it isn't. But it is written at such an abstract and labeled level that it really doesn't serve to help someone interested in leading a team to higher performance. For those wanting an introduction to creating high performance teams, there are better books.
Mahal Hudson
Jun 25, 2016 Mahal Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional read to find a working model to build a high performing team. I enjoyed the stories. It was easy to understand the concepts through the stories.
Jim Serger
Oct 11, 2013 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TEAM- it means so much to any organization, but there is more to it than just creating a team.
Moving the team forward is the object of the game. In this book you will grasp what it means to be a part of a unit or team. Great book by a man who had seen first hand what a great team can do for a company and a community.
Bill Higley
Feb 24, 2013 Bill Higley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge fan of parable books, but as far as they go, this is pretty good. It serves as a solid introduction to team dynamics and success indicators. There are good team lessons and reminders to be had from it. Worth the investment & time to read, whether you're new to team thought, or as a good refresher to the practitioner.
Trevor
Apr 09, 2016 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 2013
Talent + Skills + Community = Results. This book is a decent read if you're on an airplane because it's not very in-depth and it's short enough to finish before you land.
Olli Helttula
Easy read that might serve as a good introduction to teamwork. However, seems overly simplistic and doesn't really break out of the box of being just another fable,
C.G.Koens
Best point in the whole book - remember that your team is made up of real people with lives outside of work. treat people like people, and you will go far.
Mike Self
More fun than typical leadership books due to it's narrative style. Very easy one day read.
Santiago
Nov 07, 2013 Santiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An essential read for anyone leading a team at any level.
Vineet
Jul 25, 2013 Vineet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in its category...
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Brendon Cromwell
Brendon Cromwell marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with those Outside the Christian Community...While We  Still Can.
  • Leadership and the Art of Struggle: How Great Leaders Grow Through Challenge and Adversity
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • The Language of Love and Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate
  • Zappos Experience
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Predictable Success: Getting Your Organization on the Growth Track--And Keeping It There
  • How We Love Our Kids: The Five Love Styles of Parenting
  • 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle
  • The Catalyst Leader: 8 Essentials for Becoming a Change Maker
  • The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A Complete, Step-By-Step, Gene Reprogramming Action Plan
  • The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work
  • Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
I began writing over decade ago when I was fortunate to team up with Ken Blanchard on "The Secret: What Great Leaders Know and Do." In 2011 I released "The Secret of Teams" outlining the key principles that enable some teams to outperform the all the rest. "Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life" came next in 2012, followed by "The Heart of Leadership" in October 2013, and then the 10th An ...more
More about Mark Miller...