Start by marking “Managing” as Want to Read:
Managing

Managing

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Henry Mintzberg first became a star with his 1973 classic book, The Nature of Managerial Work, which overturned many standard views of what managers do and how they do it. Since then, Mintzberg has written many other important and bestselling books, such as The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning and Managers Not MBAs. In this new book Mintzberg provides the most comprehen ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Managing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing

Jeff Scott

This book is similar to Management of the Absurd and takes the same premise. Managers don't have a formal learning process, but learn on the job, and that job is always localized. There are many approaches to management and each one works in the particular environment, but finding the right approach in the right place is always tricky and always dependent upon the local environment.

This is a great book for new managers or potential managers. It looks at t
Jessica
Not the fastest-paced book I've ever read, but it made me think about some things in new ways (empowerment vs. collaboration) and helped me refine some ideas I'd been trying to work through.
Renato Willi
Excelent for those who want to understand more about what do company managers do and the challenges of their jobs. Mintzberg separates analytically their activities, their way of acting (doing, linking, dealing, , the nature of their behavior (craft, science, art) and puts some very intelligent reflection for those who study management and for those who try to control management.
He also, as usual, questions the current MBA models for teaching management - something he disagrees that can be done.
André Gomes
Mintzberg goes beyond common sense about management, and his ideas came from studying different managers in different contexts.

Here are some of the Big Ideias I've found in the book:

1. What is Management?

Leadership and Managing are parts of the same thing are they shouldn’t be separate. Leaders cannot delegate their management accountabilities. Management is not a science and it is not a profession.

Mintzberg sets out the stark reality of what managers do: 'the pressures of the job drive the ma
Richard Newton
I can't help but like this book. Mintzberg has original and helpful views on all sorts of aspects of management. He has an easy and engaging style of making sometimes quite profound points. But there is always a light hearted touch lurking below serious points. I have no doubt that this is an important book for anyone interested in management.

The main drawback is that this is written from the viewpoint of an academic studying management, rather than a practising manager. I have no problem with t
getAbstract
Scholarly report on managing

Managing, believes scholar Henry Mintzberg, is different from leading. To study which skills are essential to good management, Mintzberg spent an entire day one-on-one with 29 managers from different kinds of organizations and from different sectors – including banking, retail, filmmaking, government, nonprofits and healthcare. Mintzberg looked at managers who worked in the executive suites as well as on the front lines. He learned that although managers differ consi
Katrina Douglas
This book is based on Mintzberg's observations during a day spent individually with 29 managers across a range of sectors this is incredibly value as the book is steeped in management practice which makes it all the more relevant and relatable.

Mintzberg dispels many management myths and outlines clearly what managing is through a comprehensive description of management roles and a very useful model for managing.

It was very valuable to read this book whilst encountering many of the scenarios it d
Andre
A book on managing that tackles it from many angles and many sources. What I especially liked about it was that it's an analysis that recognizes the complexity of the subject and does not pretend to offer a simple recipe to tackle it. It is academical and heavier reading than some other books but worth the time and efforts to read it.
David Glad
This book had more of a Canadian perspective which helped make it distinct in a noisy marketplace for such books.

Overall, handling different situations (and customer needs) and the various organizations that exist suggest there is not, nor will there ever be, that one size fits all solution or the myth of some superstar manager who could manage anything. (Although some may be better at adapting. Plenty of organizations are willing to settle for an interim manager before finding someone who appea
Craig
I enjoyed this book. Very original and loaded with intelligent insight. I had not previously read Mintzberg but am definitely now a fan of his. It gave me a fresh, empirically-based, view of what managing actually is. Mintzberg's goal in this book, it seems, was to strip back any pretenses and stylisations of what management is--and just portray it in its more raw form. And it is kind of reassuring and enlightening to see that it is pretty messy and varied! After studying a day in the life of ab ...more
Vince
Got this as a Christmas present. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I have to confess that I enjoy Mintzberg. His latest book lived up to its promise.

Within the text I found validation for aspects of my practice, as well as useful models to guide reflection toward improving my craft. His discussions of the major contradictions that characterize management was particularly useful.

I'll need to revisit and contemplate parts of this book in an ongoing fashion. I definitely recommend Managing by
Jan-Maat
This is a working out of Mintzberg's insight first published in the 1970s that the nature of management was that the higher the manager was in the organisational structure teh more their time would be broken up and the less time they would have to spend continously on any one task.

The implications of this are a good antidote to the idea of leaders bestriding the world of business like colosses.

Denis Korsunov
Nice report about the experiment by Mr. Mintzberg which has observed a bunch of managers from different industries and on different stages of management maturity. Overall conclusion is that managers at the same level of management at most have similar traits which is insignificantly depend from industry.
Jenny
Strong start to this book, very refreshing perspective on managing, compared to most of the other books I've read and seen. Loved the first two chapters. The next three kinda lost me and I ended up skimming mostly. Chapter 6: Managing Effectively was very good. An important book on managing.
Ashley
An interesting, if slightly contrarian view, of management. Mintzberg is a big advocate of using common sense and doesn't idealize management, like many business books tend to. Rather, as he often states throughout the book, it's just one damn thing after another.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Managing by Henry Mintzberg was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2010.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on middle management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Vincent Darlage
One of the best books on managing and leadership ever written.
B. J.
Recommended by COD professor, Oct 2009
Nicolas
Nicolas is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Sigurður Sigurðsson
Sigurður Sigurðsson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Tim Lo Surdo
Tim Lo Surdo marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Veronika Ženatá
Veronika Ženatá marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sofie Draxbek
Sofie Draxbek marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • The Future of Management
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • On Competition
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
Professor Henry Mintzberg, OC , OQ , Ph.D. , D.h.c. , FRSC (born September 2, 1939) is an internationally renowned academic and author on business and management. He is currently the Cleghorn Professor of Management Studies at the Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he has been teaching since 1968, after earning his Master's degree in Management ...more
More about Henry Mintzberg...
Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning Managers Not MBAs: A Hard Look at the Soft Practice of Managing and Management Development Structure in Fives: Designing Effective Organizations Mintzberg on Management: Inside Our Strange World of Organizations

“being a manager’ means not merely assuming a position of authority but also becoming more dependent on others,” 1 likes
“A good part of the work of managing involves doing what specialists do, but in particular ways that make use of the manager’s special contacts, status, and information.” 1 likes