Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)

Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Detroit attorney and former alcoholic Charley Sloan lost his practice, his wife, and his fortune to booze. A chance at a comeback arrives in his former lover, Robin Harwell. She's now the desperate widow of a multimillionaire--and stepmother of the teenage girl charged with his brutal murder.

Damned by forensic evidence, witness testimony, a history of mental problems, and...more
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of a Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of a Doubt

Connie  Kuntz
Jan 09, 2010 Connie Kuntz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, people who remember the 1990's
Recommended to Connie by: My Mama
Shadow of a Doubt was written by a 61 year old man in 1991. In other words, this book was written in the era of fingerprints and answering machines, not DNA and cell phones. It was written in an era of nosey book writers, not the (current) era of of bloggers and electronic newsfeeds. It was written several years before the O.J. Simpson "trial of the century", before "acquit" was a common word and before corruption became as publicly disgustingly sophisticated as it is today (e.g. Enron, Hallibur...more
Susan
I've had three Couglin used paperbacks on my shelf for a long time now. I can't remember where/when/why I got them nor why I'd never read any of them... So looking for my next read, I snagged the first one. They are legal mysteries and this one started off slowly but at about the point where I usually make the decision to keep reading or toss, I realized he had me hooked. Charley Sloan is a washed up attorney who's career was tanked by alcoholism... He's hired for a huge case and starts to muddl...more
Violet
Great read, well written with an ending you won't see coming!
Lois Duncan
If you enjoy courtroom dramas, (which I do), this is a good one.

Two negatives: (1) It was written in 1991, so is very out of date in terms of technology. Not the author's fault, of course. But it dates the book tremendously. (2) I anticipated the "surprise ending" by the time I was a third way into the story. I kept reading anyway, in the hopes that I might be wrong and there would be a sudden unexpected twist. There wasn't.

Still, I enjoyed the book.
Rhod
New author to me. He has woven a pretty tense story about a young girl accused of murdering her father. Fair amount of intrigue and bad guys. To add another dimension, the chap hired to defend her is a recovering alcoholic.
Frank
I thought it was a decent read. For me, it was pretty predictable, but still a good story. I read it just for fun and I don't regret it. :D
Emily
Have never read any of the Charley Sloan mysteries but was pleasantly surprise how I could not but the book down.
Leeann
Was ok. Kept me reading to see if my guess at the motive and villain were right.
Jackie
A decent courtroom drama. It was compelling enough that I read it straight through.
Linda

Surprise ending.
Jackie Simons
Read 4/01
Yinus
Yinus marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Christine Terrell
Christine Terrell marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Cindystill73
Cindystill73 marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Barbara Hale
Barbara Hale marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...
Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2) In The Presence of Enemies Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5) The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3) The Stalking Man