Start by marking “When God Is Silent” as Want to Read:
When God Is Silent

When God Is Silent

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Reading of God s silence in the Bible gives me courage to explore the practice of restraint in preaching not as a deliberate withholding of God s word nor, I hope, as a rationale for my own reticence, but as a sober reaching for more reverence in the act of public speaking about God. In these 1997 Lyman Beecher Lectures in Preaching delivered at Yale Divinity School, Barba ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Cowley Publications

To ask other readers questions about When God Is Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Is Silent

Ben Gosden
One of the most brilliant and honest books on faith I've ever read. This is not a book for those who enjoy formulaic and simplistic understandings of God and the life of faith. This is a book for those who struggle. It's a book for those who are willing to sit on an ash heap of questions and doubts knowing that God is still close at hand. It's a book for those who see faith more as a work of art and less as a math problem with easy to solve answers. Brilliant and challenging book!
heidi
This is a slight little book, size-wise, but I have three times as many highlights in it as any other book I own. It is dense with ideas like a fruitcake is full of goodies.

It is targeted toward pastors, but approachable for anyone with a moderate understanding of theology. My mom bought copies for my siblings and I because she found it so meaningful, and I can certainly understand that impulse.

Taylor is teasing out what it means that we don't hear from God anymore. God used to talk to the Israe
Bruce Nuffer
I haven't found another book that says what this book says, that God is "unsayable," and the more we try (which we must do) the worse job we do. Taylor discusses the need for silence, and compares preaching (she is a preacher) to the task of trying to tell someone about a piece of music. Not only will words never do justice to the subject of our conversation, they will always give a somewhat false understanding of something that cannot be understood. She says that if people leave "filled" after ...more
Chris Hughes
This book of lectures given by Barbara Brown Taylor at Yale Divinity School is an incredibly nurturing yet challenging read for any student of preaching. For Taylor, the central question is for a generation that is drowning in noise: How does one speak? How does one speak for God and for the people and speak truthfully enough to be heard?

The answer lies not in more words, but perhaps in less. Taylor traces the dynamic tension of sound and silence of God throughout the biblical text as a helpful
Jenn Lee
This book is excellent.
Kristin
Sat down and read this through in just a few hours. I grew up in the Methodist church but consider myself a-theistic now, and feel that the lessons and questions of this book to apply to much more than religion. The use of language, of words, the current bombardment of noise in our world, and so many people's inability to listen to the silence are themes I've all comtemplated before but that Taylor does more eloquently than I've ever managed. I'd love to hear her sermons.
Casey
For all lovers of the word. For those who wrestle with, seek, and find God in silence. For those starving in a land of plenty.
Nancy Nusser
In 3 short chapters, Famine, Silence and Restraint Barbara Brown Taylor points out that despite how much communication there is today we no longer find meaning in what is spoken. The silence of God does not mean God is dead, but it means God is greater than our language and takes away control of who we think is. Words are not enough. God is found in the images and metaphors that fill the parables Jesus told.
Joshua
An interesting look at the responsibilities of preachers charged with speaking for a God who seems, more and more, to be silent. This is some of her more intellectual writing, but she manages to maintain a style that is compelling. There are no "answers" here, but rather observations and suggestions.
Jaymes
Barbara Taylor, did an great job in approaching this topic. There's not much to say that's not already been said, she deals with the deeper issues of God's silence and gives her readers a fresh perspective on the value and divinity of silence.

Absolutely enjoyed this book.
Jane Glen
Although I am not a preacher, I loved this book for its reminder that not everything has to always be put into words. If we are always satisfied with what is being said or preached, we will not long for more. Silence has a purpose and God's silence can speak volumes.
Alwen
Re-reading this for a class assignment. Loved it the first time through, but don't remember it well, other than the question of what on earth does the preacher say in the face of apparent silence from the divine?
Sharon
Excellent book and just what I needed right now when there is so much turmoil and chaos in life and when the tunnel is so long and so dark. Lots of curves as well, so can't see the light at the end.
Kathryn Hallett Ph.d
Shattering - what she has learned from god's silence is not he has forsaken us;
but rather we have forsaken our rules for living among and with each other.
Erica
What a slim but powerful text! Barbara Brown Taylor is amazing! She spoke at a NACUC event, had most of us in tears -- but good tears! So raw, so real!
Julane
This book is so enlighteninng. I had a hard time putting it down last night. I'm reading it for my
Diakonia class.
Pgchuis
Not sure what I think of this book really. It was well written, but came to no conclusions. Not very encouraging!
Johanna
Reading this type of book is usually not my thing. This book was a big exception. I loved it. I will read it again.
TJ
Very enlightening book on silence and how to preach silence and also how to preach in this noise filled world.
John Simms
A wonderful, compelling and challenging book: one I am certain I will return to in the near future.
Michelle Bodle
Reflections on listening to God vs. speaking to God as only Brown Taylor could present them.
Donald
Aug 26, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homiletics nuts
Shelves: spirituality
pt well taken: god *is* silent for us; preachers need to reflect (on/in) that...
Frank
A thoughtful book by a skilled preacher. It made great reading for Lent.
Barbara
A typically great reflection written by Barbara Brown Taylor.
Jan
A wonderful book to read on retreat - or anytime.
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Preaching
  • Credo
Barbara Brown Taylor’s last book, An Altar in the World, was a New York Times bestseller that received the Silver Nautilus Award in 2012. Her first memoir, Leaving Church, received an Author of the Year award from the Georgia Writers Association and won the Theologos Award for best general interest book of 2006. Taylor spent fifteen years in parish ministry before becoming the Butman Professor of ...more
More about Barbara Brown Taylor...
An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith Learning to Walk in the Dark The Preaching Life Home by Another Way