Start by marking “The Game” as Want to Read:
The Game

The Game

When Mary's mother throws her out, the sassy teenager soon learns how tough life can be. Her new friend Lynne is older, more sophisticated. She has a taste for cocaine and isn't above walking the streets for extra cash to pay for it. Mary sticks to a straighter path, until the night Lynne brings Ali and Raiz back to their flat. The women don't know that their sexy new frie ...more
Published July 18th 2005 by Hodder (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game

Chloe
May 04, 2012 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites
**************WARNING***********SPOILERS***********

I love this book, its one of my favorite books, in fact I love it so much that ive read it so many times I had to buy a new copy cause my first one fell apart. If you havent read it yet then you really should, anyone who like Martina cole, Jessie Keane or Kimberly Chamber will like all of Mandas
Shona
Aug 12, 2009 Shona rated it it was amazing
A sad story following the life of a girl who ends up as a junkie and a prostitute after being kicked out by her mum when she was 16. Nothing would shock you more than how desperate someone can be when relying on drugs to get them through the day. From the cost of the drugs to the effect it has on your on your appearance to lowering your standards so you sell your body. It shows that when you are drugs noone is your friend and you are never safe.

Twists and turns throughout the book keep you on ed
Clare O'Beara
Jul 15, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it it was ok
Shelves: british-crime
My main issue with this book is that we are given insufficient information about the setting. I thought it must be set in London. I kept wondering why the girls stayed in such a grotty area and never saw any of the nicer parts of London, and never got on the Tube. At the end I asked a British person where Moss Side was, and he told me it was a suburb in Manchester. How is a non-British person supposed to know that? How is a British one for that matter?

The story involves two brainless girls who t
Ayny
It's very dismal and grim story of two young women in Manchester UK. Their lives are interspersed with conflict, tragedy, and friends. Lots of cursing, and vulgarities. Not too many likable characters, actually.
Grace
Oct 17, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
Once again a superb book from Mandasue Heller.

I thought that the characters were very believable and the book had a gritty realism about it. I love reading this authors books because I know that no matter the subject matter, I will be entertained.
This had everything from sadness to hope for the future and if your a fan of this author, you won't be disappointed.
Kristi Sawyer
Jan 02, 2015 Kristi Sawyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A pretty hard-hitting read! I have never read such a raw tale of a hard life shrouded in drugs, violence and prostitution. It's saddening to think that although this is fiction, it has got to be rooted in some element of truth! Yes, everyone knows drugs can devastate a life, but when it is the life of someone you are really rooting for due to masterful character development, it's pretty hard to take!
Heidi
Aug 08, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
I found it a bit confusing in the beginning. But the more you read the more it makes sence, and you get the hole aha experince which i love!

I really like how you see the scenes from different characters. It gives you the feeling of knowing more then the characters, and get a bette idea about what is going on.
Maria Daines
Jun 24, 2009 Maria Daines rated it it was amazing
Currently reading, brilliant and absorbing but I've taken an age to get half way through because I haven't had enough time to read this year. Mandasue is a fantastic writer and the plot is really engaging, looking forward to reading all of her books. Great storytelling and real life characters. Excellent!
Liane
Mar 06, 2015 Liane rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite authors! A million times better than Martina Cole! She writes with genuine authenticity, keeps the story interesting and flowing without going overboard and filling up pages for the sake of it.
Just finished another one of her books, can't wait to read them all!
Emma Beath
Apr 07, 2013 Emma Beath rated it it was amazing
such a fantastic read!!!
Mel
Jul 03, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing
loved it
Joy Lawson
Dec 31, 2015 Joy Lawson rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Mandasues books but I found this book a bit dull. There was no real distinction between the characters and I thought there could have been a lot more to the plot.
David Summers
Contived rubbish
Victorvanr
Oct 28, 2012 Victorvanr rated it really liked it
A perfect copy of the best of Martina Cole. Good story, entertaining and above all believable. Highly recommended in this genre.
Nov 03, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
An excellent thriller!
Emma Clapperton
Oct 23, 2012 Emma Clapperton rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read which I read in a few days. An amazing author :)
Wendy
Sep 06, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Loved this book could'nt put it down very simlar to Martina Cole
P.D.R. Lindsay
Dec 09, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it liked it

Nothing wrong with the book, it's well written and the characters are well drawn. Its content is not my sort of read. Just a personal thing.
Caz Lopez
Aug 10, 2011 Caz Lopez rated it it was amazing
Great storyline!
Amina
Jan 31, 2013 Amina rated it really liked it
Well-written and makes you think how lucky you are with everything that is available for us - most importantly love from the important people in our lives. A heart-wrenching story.
Sally Kennard
Sally Kennard rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2011
Roxie Gallinger
Roxie Gallinger rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Kerry Garnish
Kerry Garnish rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2013
Evie Lochrie
Evie Lochrie rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Karla
Karla rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Lynn Fisher
Lynn Fisher rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
  • Scarlet Women (Annie Carter #3)
  • Billie Jo
  • The Know
Mandasue was born in Cheshire and moved to Manchester in 1982. She spent ten years living in the notorious Hulme Crescents which have since become the background to her novels. Not only is she a talented writer, but she has also sung in cabaret and rock groups, seventies soul cover bands and blues jam bands.
More about Mandasue Heller...