Start by marking “The Sheep-pig” as Want to Read:
The Sheep-pig

The Sheep-pig

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  9,317 ratings  ·  243 reviews
When Babe, the little orphaned piglet, is won at a fair by Farmer Hogget, he is adopted by Fly, the kind-hearted sheep-dog. Babe is determined to learn everything he can from Fly. He knows he can't be a sheep-dog. But maybe, just maybe, he might be a sheep-pig.
Published February 6th 2003 by Puffin Bks (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Sheep-pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sheep-pig

Claire Conlon
When I was in primary school Babe was the biggest blockbuster film and was extremely popular! I remember our teacher telling us that the film was based on a book and when I read the book that I enjoyed it even more! I was delighted therefore to have the opportunity to revisit one of my favourite childhood stories. The story begins with Mr. Hogget winning a pig at the fair by correctly guessing the pig’s weight. Originally Babe was going to be fattened up by Mrs. Hogget but miraculously Babe esca ...more
Brennan
One of the rare instances where the movie is better than the book. I listened to it with my two daughters on a day trip in the car, otherwise I would have never finished it.

If you do decide to read it to your kids, get ready for lines like, "the Collie bitch was pleased to see Babe growing up so strong. And "the bitch told the pig that the farmer was pleased with his progress."

After the 2nd reference to this term, and after laughing out loud at the surprise of it, I had to tell my 10-year old
Mom
Lovely. Glad to see that the movie didn't deviate too much from the book.
Josiah
This is one of those Dick King-Smith books that show very well his strong potential as a writer, nearly perfect as a blend of sensitivity and fun in coming up with a starkly imaginative, thrillingly unique tale that is really not like anything that the reader will have previously seen.
Babe encapsulates the most saliently positive qualities of kids themselves, which will do nicely in commending this story to young readers. He doesn't accept that sheep are "stupid" and unworthy of addressing as
Rebecca McNutt
I hadn't read Babe in years, and reading it again was really great. This story of friendship and adventure with a pig as the main character is definitely a classic and really worth reading.
Steph Su
I don't think I've ever read this book before, but I did today for class. At the beginning I thought I wasn't going to like it all that much--after all, there already is a great book featuring a pig as the main character, and that's Charlotte's Web--but awww, as I kept on reading I liked Babe more and more (and also the minor characters, Mr. Hogget and Fly especially) until by the end I was wishing I had a Babe of my own to cuddle with as he sheep-pigs his way to victory!
Catherine McDonald
The Sheep-Pig
By Dick King –Smith
I am quite new to the books of Dick King-Smith. Although I have always heard about his animal stories growing up most especially The Sheep Pig (or perhaps the popular film adaption of Babe), I had never actually read any of his books. In a way, I feel I have missed out on one of the most successful writers who uses animals as his main subject. I can read them now as an adult reader and still enjoy them but the potential that exists for a child is immense.

The She
Kellie
Some people know I have this weird obsession for movies with talking animals. This obsession extends to books as well. I love stories about animals, and stories that are told from an animal's point of view.

Babe is one of my all-time favorite talking animal movies. It wasn't until I started working at the library did I realize that it was based on a book. (How did I not ever know this?) So I added it to my mental wish list of random, older juvenile books that I wanted to read sooner rather than
Gareth Roberts
The Sheep – Pig by Dick King-Smith is a classic children’s book which tells the story of a young pig called Babe. The remarkable abilities Babe possesses enable it to become a great sheep-dog, something no one would have ever expected of a pig. I enjoyed the book immensely for a number of reasons. I believe that it can be used as an example of strongly defined characters in a story in literacy while also providing many moral messages which are equally important to a child’s development.
The Shee
Ed Fincham
Dick King-Smith’s tale of Babe - the successful sheep-pig - carries hints of an allegorical fable, but stays just the right side of entertainment to be an engaging, and to my mind interesting read for early KS2 or advanced KS1.

The story is set within an idealized agricultural landscape, an essentially timeless idyll, with only slight nods to anything resembling modernity. The setting is both strikingly familiar, and hopelessly alien. Familiar in that agricultural idyll is a common literary ster
Jim Leech
Babe is not like other pigs; he has greater ambitions than eating, sleeping, and "lying around all day thinking about eating", his ambition is to be a sheep-pig.

When Farmer Hogget attends the local fair he unexpectedly wins a small piglet called Babe. Farmer Hogget does not keep pigs, but Mrs Hogget can see a potential Christmas Dinner in his prize and cajoles the farmer into keeping him. Babe has no idea of his intended fate and feels scared and alone on the farm. Farmer Hogget's sheepdog, Fly,
Isabel
Aug 04, 2010 Isabel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel by: some website about children's lit
This is a good, simple book. Probably most 2nd graders could comfortably read this one on their own. It's a decent read-aloud because it introduces the theme of prejudice in a way that is easy for a young person to understand. Fly (the sheep dog) initially assumes that pigs are stupid, as she does with most non-canine species. However, she quickly comes around when she meets charming and polite Babe. The book also proffers the nice concept that manners will get you everywhere. This is a feel-goo ...more
Lana
Brave Babe is a runty little piglet who is brought to Father Hackett's farm for fattening up. Babe ends up cheating his destiny and learns to be a fantastic "sheep-pig" from the resident sheepdog (and adoptive Mother) Fly. However Babe has a rather controversial way of speaking to the sheep nicely in order to get them to move where he wants, and soon this brings him a lot of fame as well as saving the sheep from harm.

This story is great to read to the whole class a chapter or two at a time, I re
Elise
What a fabulous read aloud book! I enjoyed it as much as my son. My 5 year old would give it 100 stars. I did omit the word "bitch" referring to the collie as it wasn't necessary and didn't want to get into a discussion of when it is not appropriate to use the word or how people could misinterpret it coming from a 5 year old.
Zoe
Books are almost always better than movies, but in this case, having seen the iconic movie first (one of the few children's films to be nominated best picture) I approached this book with some trepidation. It was, however, far and away even better than the movie - more sensitive, more humorous, more charming. Farmer Hoggett is not nearly so crusty and hard to read as played by James Cromwell (although he had a certain charm). King-Smith has a knack with writing dialect for everyone involved -mos ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)

I can see that this very brief book contains the bare bones of the movie it inspired, and I have to say that for once the film does the original no disservice!! It even fleshes out characters and events nicely.
Saw the movie before I even knew about the book. A very short read, good for kids though you may have to explain that among farm folk and dog breeders, "bitch" is actually the technical term for a female canine, while "dog" is a male. I got in trouble at school in the late sixties for sayi
Lynley
If you've seen the movie, the brevity of the book may come as some surprise. Babe is one of my favourite children's films (though my daughter doesn't agree, which makes me think it's not really a film for kids!) My favourite character in the film is Mrs Hogget, played by the great Magda Szubanski, and now that I've read the dialogue in the book, I can see she had much to work with. The rural English dialect is great fun to try and read aloud, even if you're not sure exactly how to do it.

When far
Kaethe
I started by reading one amusing line aloud to the PandaBat. Then she made me start over at the beginning and read it all out loud, although she read a chapter or two to me. It's hilarious and adorable. He's our favorite pig, now. We have nothing but contempt for poor Wilbur, bless his heart.

***

Just to be clear, I'm not a farm sort of gal. For five years my father kept chickens and we lived in the middle of nowhere and I hate that. Nonetheless, King-Smith has charmed me no end. He writes with gr
Jenny
Cute book, but not ANYWHERE as awesome as the movie. Suprisingly more succinct than the movie (I had no idea they had added so much). But still a cute book. But if I had to choose between movie and book, I would reccommend the movie (I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT).
Rose Goodwin
I saw the movie first, so it was really easy to like this book. It had some differences from the movie, so it was interesting to read. I found it easier to read than some, but the Hoggets have a dialect that might be harder for some readers. The word for female dog is used in it a few times, so the teacher or parent may want to explain that, or just skip it if reading the book aloud. I noticed that there are other versions, so that word might have been eliminated. I liked the map of the course t ...more
Catherine
This is a very fast read. For those who want to compare it to the movie, a lot of things I loved about the movie weren't in the book, which shows just what a great adaptation it is. But the book is sweet and perfect for small children.
Cheri
The movie version of this book came out when I was in elementary school, and I had never read the book. I assigned it to my kid book club this month, and I found it to be just as charming as the film. I don't think many of them actually read it, but it would be one of the sweetest books to read aloud to a group of 6-8 year olds. I am not of the opinion that kids need to have all new books read to them--the classics are still read for a reason!
The low-key social commentary about the ruling class
Jillaire
Of course I was already a big fan of the 1995 movie when I convinced my daughter's 4th grade reading group to read this book. It's a delightful tale of a lonely litte pig who is taken in by the motherly sheepdog on Hoggett farm....to the point that the clever porker begins trying out some "sheep-pig" duties. Good manners and respectful communication go a long way in making more than one character question the traditional role of pigs on a farm.

**Warning: King-Smith refers to the sheep-dog mother
Yui
1. Penguin level2

2. 5/2610min 5/2770min

3. pig/sheep-dog/farmer/sheep/lessons/polite/trials

4. a ) When the bad two wolves come the farm and they try to kill sheeps, Babe said to sheeps, ”Please stop, you are clever sheep! Don't be afraid.”

b ) Babe maybe afraid of wolves, but he is very polite so he behave calmly. In addition, sheeps are always said stupid animals by dogs. Therefore I think sheeps are really glad and trust him truly.

5. The book was written a friendship and love. I think Fly love
Kristi
Description: Babe is a pig. And pigs, as all border collies know, are stupid. Not as stupid as sheep, of course, but still thick-headed. So when lonely Babe starts following his adoptive collie "mother" around the farm, he's got a lot to learn. Fly enjoys the company, but even though she knows that Babe can't be expected to get everything right, his strange ideas worry her. For example, she knows that sheep must be bullied and frightened into submission. Babe can't get that through his head. Wha ...more
Caleb
It is about a pig named Babe who has a certain kind of sport he likes to do. It is not baseball. It is being a sheep pig!
Marsha
With simple prose, this is a story about an unusual piglet. But more importantly it emphasizes the necessity of politeness, courtesy and keeping an open mind about others. It’s silly to believe that a pig could learn to act like a dog, much less a sheepdog, but the book’s matter-of-fact tone draws you in to its fairy tale premise. The black-and-white drawings use workmanlike shading and lines but they are more than able in accompanying the text. This endearing story of a good-natured and well-ma ...more
Rachel
About a pig, adopted by a dog, who befriends sheep, and does not become bacon.
Kibria Gulam
Sayaka Moriyama
@Time of reading
1/2 70 min

@7 word summary
farm pig smart polite fight seepdog trial

@Discussion question
Do you want to have pig as a pet?

@My answer
Yes, i do. i want a pig like Babe. recently I heard some people have small pig that will not be a big pig, and they are smart like a dog. i think pigs are do cute unless they become a big ones, so i want to have one. if i could, i would like to show my pig to around people so much!

@What I think about the book.
i have watched this movie long time ago,
  • The Archidamian War
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • The Art of Fiction
  • Lisa And David
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears Sb-Apov
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • Extravagance
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • A Dog So Small
  • Freaky Friday
  • Complete Stories
  • Emily The Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...
The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg Lady Lollipop