Start by marking “Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress: Learn to Play the Most Complex Video Game Ever Made” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dwarf Fortress may be the most complex video game ever made, but all that detail makes for fascinating game play, as various elements collide in interesting and challenging ways. The trick is getting started. In this guide, Fortress geek Peter Tyson takes you through the basics of this menacing realm, and helps you overcome the formidable learning curve.

The book's focus is
Published May 25th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress

Roy Klein
Dwarf Fortress belongs to a class of games that are unapologetically complex in terms of depth and game mechanics. Among these games, it probably has the most steep learning curve of all, so steep it's nearly unimaginable that anyone could learn it without a teacher or a book. It is, however, an incredible fun and rewarding experience, once you've got a grisp of enough of the mechanics.

If you enjoy games like Civilization or Nethack and don't cower from spending a weekend on learning a game that
Steve Losh
It's the only one of its kind as far as I know, so if you want a book on Dwarf Fortress you don't really have many options.

Luckily, it's also a good book! I never played before, and this book helped be quite a lot.

There seem to be two main "sections" to the book. The first half (roughly) is a hand-holding, step-by-step tutorial that gets you up and running. The second half is more like a bunch of guides on various topics. The setup works really well.

If you're interested in DF after playing Minec
Kassil
A fantastic introduction to the world's most complex game/reality simulation engine, Peter (AKA TinyPirate) does something never done before for Dwarf Fortress: he sits down and explains how to set up a functioning fort, going from generating a world and choosing a site clear through to setting up your industries and military, exploring the caverns, and everything else needed to help ensure that you, too, can understand that Losing Is Fun! Seriously, get this book. After becoming competent at DF ...more
Alex Rogalski
I don't think I will ever play dwarf fortress - micromanaging is not my idea of fun. But I enjoy roguelikes and I enjoyed reading this book. :)
J.R.
Peter Tyson has authored the definitive Dwarf Fortress tutorials and has been an avid player and contributor to the community for years. His instruction manual breaks Dwarf Fortress into easy-to-understand sections and explains each one with just the right mix of depth and simplicity. The illustrations are hilarious and perfectly convey the grim humor inherent in Dwarf Fortress. If you've been waiting to play Dwarf Fortress, this guide is a must-have.
Odhran
Interesting guide to playing Dwarf Fortress, interspersed with nice little comics telling DF tales. Could do with a little less how-to guide and a little more exploring the generated stories - Boatmurdered et al get mentioned, but not discussed. Also, 30% of the book is just appendices, mostly tables repeated from the main text. Captures the oddity that is this game pretty well though.
Jwest82
Dwarf Fortress... Seriously one of the most complex games ever coded. This book is a bit outdated now as far as functionality but it does still have some good insight on the basics. Prepare for all of the death umm... vampires umm... Fun you could ever want in a game. I give it four beards.
Brynjólfur Erlingsson
This book does what it says and does it very very well. For me Dwarf Fortress was impenetrable but I really wanted to see what it was all about. In around 10-20 hours with this book and the game side by side I was ready to go and do most of the stuff myself. It's well written and humorous to boot.
Joseph
Great book to get new players up and running with Dwarf Fortress, as well as some tips and tricks for more experienced players. It is a legendary quality tutorial. It menaces with spikes of plump helmet.
Chris Hamby
Got me started playing in no time, and the writing is engaging, funny, and very helpful. If you want to play Dwarf Fortress (and you should) I definitely recommend picking this up.
Dave
Probably the best book available to get you started playing Dwarf Fortress.
Simebone
Simebone marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Danil Mihailov
Danil Mihailov marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Dani Doni
Dani Doni marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • Numenera Corebook
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • An Introduction to Functional Programming Through Lambda Calculus
  • R in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Algorithmic Puzzles
  • Pro C# 5.0 and the .Net 4.5 Framework
  • Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects
  • The Little Schemer
  • Geekspeak: Why Life + Mathematics = Happiness
  • Python for Kids
  • The Essential Turing: Seminal Writings in Computing, Logic, Philosophy, Artificial Intelligence, and Artificial Life Plus the Secrets of Enigma
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • Pearls of Functional Algorithm Design
The Eighth Continent: Life, Death and Discovery in the Lost World of Madagascar Madagascar: The Eighth Continent Vincent Van Gogh (Grt Achievr)(Z) Groucho Marx (Pop Culture)(Oop) Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress: Learn to Play the Most Complex Video Game Ever Made