Start by marking “Clojure Programming” as Want to Read:
Clojure Programming

Clojure Programming

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Clojure is a practical, general-purpose language that offers expressivity rivaling other dynamic languages like Ruby and Python, while seamlessly taking advantage of Java libraries, services, and all of the resources of the JVM ecosystem. This book helps you learn the fundamentals of Clojure with examples relating it to the languages you know already, in the domains and to...more
Published March 30th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Clojure Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clojure Programming

Rob
May 14, 2013 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring Clojure developers
In Clojure Programming (Chas Emerick, Brian Carper, and Christophe Grand; O'Reilly, 2012), the preface asks Who is this book for? It's for a lot of people: experienced JVM developers, curious Rubyists, dissatisfied Pythonistas... Developers of all stripes that are looking to get introduced to, and become proficient in, Clojure. I myself have been circling the Clojure drainpipe for a while now, very nearly getting completely sucked in on numerous occasions. I've followed no one's advice though--I...more
Alex Ott
I think, that's now this is a best book about Clojure for novice. It covers language in great details, mixing description of high-level concepts with low-level details of implementation, use patterns, etc.
Jon Gauthier
May 19, 2013 Jon Gauthier rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Java refugees, beginner FP'ers, Lispers
I often run into what you might call closet functional programmers – people who seem to have a genuine interest in acquainting themselves with a new paradigm, but just can’t manage to find the time to do it. Some of those who do invest the time often end up on something like the Typeclassopedia [1], where the combined force of jargon and type signatures kill whatever interest they began with.

Thanks to Clojure Programming, though, I’m happy to report that this will no longer be a problem. This bo...more
Louis
Jul 01, 2012 Louis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Java programmers wanting to diversify their skills
When I first started reading Clojure Programming, the first impression I had was that I've never seen a programming language introduction try so hard to tell me that my programming skills are going to grow significantly as a result of learning this programming language. This book is probably not for beginners, but working through this gives insights into why certain programming constructs work the way they do and how functional programming constructs fit with someone who is used to procedural an...more
Steven Grimm
Even though it took me quite a while to get through, I enjoyed this more than I can remember enjoying any introductory computer language book in the past. It is quite comprehensive, covering not only the core language but also several popular third-party libraries. The explanations are generally clear and, with a few exceptions, the examples do a great job of reinforcing the information in the text. The emphasis is very much on building code to do real work, so the examples mostly stay away from...more
Glenn
Great pacing. I like the order in which information was presented. The author wet your appetite with some introductory programming material. Then, he proceeded with covering the high level topics such as functional programming, homoiconicity, software transactional memory, and persistent data structures.

The author certainly advocates for idiomatic Clojure without getting evangelical about it. He is able to cover special forms, syntactic sugar, macros, object orientation, multi-threading, and laz...more
Matthew Darling
A great introductory Clojure book. I didn't know a lick of Lisp before I started, but I feel pretty literate now that I've finished. It's a big book, but every chapter is either useful or interesting (and often both).

I do wish the second edition were more substantial than just incorporating various errata, though.

Side note: If you need a Clojure editor and don't have a prior preference for a particular IDE base like IDEA or Eclispe, consider Light Table. If you're feeling adventurous, we use thi...more
Aku
Great introductory book on Clojure. The breadth of topics covered was large, and the authors wrote in a clear and communicative way. The early chapters cover wide swaths of ground in short time, striking a perfect balance between concise and thorough. I especially liked the discussion of different reference types Clojure offers. Elucidating examples and scenarios clarified the landscape perfectly.

I also liked the later practical parts, involving some staples of Clojure ecosystem such as Ring, Co...more
Ash Moran
Note: I literally only read this, I didn't work through any of the code. I was expecting to want to pick up a keyboard, but most of the book didn't inspire me to do so (I have some notes for bits to go back to though).

This is much more comprehensive than I was expecting, and covers much more ground in Clojure than say Programming Ruby in Ruby. A good chunk at the start was quite a mundane functional programming intro. I got a little tired after a while of some of the insubstantial arguments agai...more
Ameer
Very awesome intro and thorough guide through Clojure. Well thought out examples that show the benefits of the language and break out of whatever paradigm you were thinking in before. My second favorite programming language book after The C Programming Language.
Brian Jenkins
This is my favorite of the clojure books. I've been programming for about 20 years, but am new to Lisp. I found it clear, well written, and appropriate to my skill level as a professional programmer who's just finished working through Conrad Barski's Land of Lisp.
Andrew
I found this a tremendously helpful book. I recommend it to strong programmers who wish to learn clojure. It is also a comprehensive book, and I'm happy to put it down for the time being having read only the first four chapters: I already have such a store of language features that I want to put to use and commit to practice without having to know the more arcane corners of the language.

My only quibble: I wish there were something like a cheat sheet of the syntactical forms and key functions tuc...more
Hussein
An excellent read about Clojure programming language, covers a lot of areas and some times in an enjoyable depth.
Data structure chapter was amazing, you are going to learn a lot. Data structures are at the very heart of Clojure professional programming.
Macros chapter isn't impressive, I was expecting a much more from the hall-of-famers authors.
Build tools section was somehow, I don't know, boring and shouldn't takes a lot of pages. But maybe it written this way for non-Java programmers how are r...more
Jake McCrary
Read this book with the background of someone who has been in some way writing Clojure code for approaching 4 years. Some code has been written in production but most as a hobby.

I thought this explained concepts extremely well. I would recommend this to Clojure programmers of all skill level. I found coworkers asking me Clojure questions and suggesting sections of this book as answers.
Coen
Nice book, but I'd have loved to see more depth in the last part of the book, with more examples of real world usage instead of mentioning a list of interesting projects. Also some basic syntax highlighting of the code example in the book wouldn't hurt anyone!
I still prefer 'The joy of Clojure' and 'Programming Clojure' over this Clojure book.
Josh Mock
Technically not fully read cover to cover, just the important bits. Programming books are best as references while learning by doing.
Daniel MacDougall
Thorough explanation not just of the language but also current libraries, frameworks, project structuring, and deployments.
Scott King
Very good description of Clojure. Gives a very good overview of the language and all it has to offer.
taylor
Can't decide if functional languages are the next big thing or just a mathematical meme
Josh Bohde
Good overview of Clojure, with focus given to deployment, and web development.
Jindřich Mynarz
Most comprehensive and consistent book on Clojure I've read so far.
João Fernandes
Still reading this one. Until now, enjoying it.
André Boechat
Very complete and clear.
Eric Richmond
Best intro clojure book.
João Martins
João Martins is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Dig V
Dig V marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Esorttam
Esorttam marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
  • The Joy of Clojure
  • Programming Clojure
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • Let Over Lambda
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • The Little Schemer
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • Programming in Scala
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • SmallTalk Best Practice Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »