Start by marking “Ginnie and the Cooking Contest” as Want to Read:
Ginnie and the Cooking Contest

Ginnie and the Cooking Contest

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ginnie is determined to win the cooking contest, and experiments with many fancy menus and ingredients, hoping for the right combination.
Published (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Ginnie and the Cooking Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginnie and the Cooking Contest

Kerith
I remember checking this out of the Thomas Jefferson branch of the Fairfax County library system NUMEROUS times. Proof positive that I was reading about food even when I was in grade school. This is a delightful story about an eleven-year-old girl who, bored one January day, discovers a county-wide cooking contest for girls her age (no boys allowed in the kitchen in those days, right?) is on that spring -- the prize is a trip to Washington, DC. Of course, this prize always gave me a chuckle, gro ...more
HeavyReader
I remember liking this book a lot when I read it, although kids these days might find it kind of slow. I seem to remember it taking me a long time to finish reading it.

I remember Ginnie was a preteen or young teen girl who decides to enter a cooking contest. She plans to make a souffle, but something goes wrong at the last minute, and she decides to bake bread instead. (I guess making a souffle is a rather delicate procedure.)

Reading this book made me want to enter and win a cooking contest, but
Christina
This was a re-read of one of my favorite series as a young girl. This book was everything I remembered it to be, and it is fun and inspiring. Ginnie is an 11 year old only child who loves to cook, solve mysteries, help others and try new things. In this book, Ginnie decides to enter a cooking contest and tries many new recipes to find the perfect one. This is one of my favorite in the series, because it was all about cooking and specifically, baking bread.

This book would be a great read aloud t
Jane Eyre
A treasure from childhood!
Susann
I never was much of a Ginnie fan, but this one makes me hungry for 1960s cuisine - chicken loaf, souffles, gelatin salads! Of course, home-baked bread is the real star here. It's thanks to this book (and the Ginnie cookbook) that I first tried my hand at bread-baking. I haven't made any in awhile, but maybe it's time to add yeast to my shopping list.
Jessica
My kids were totally interested in this book--which was surprising because a third of it is a detailed account of this girl searching for, trying out and deciding on recipes. (They obviously have a mother who LOVES to cook). It was written in the 1950s and you could tell, which was fun. Not the most exciting book I've read, but the kids and I enjoyed it.
Erika
As a girl, cooking and baking were two of my favorite things to do, along with reading. This book combined both my likes. I loved all the Ginnie books, I can still remember what shelf they were on in my local public library. I'm sad that they are out of print, and very hard to find.
Wendy Darling
A whole book in which a girl tries out a bunch of different scrumptious dishes in hopes of winning a contest! Obviously I love it. Plus there is a secret pickle mine.

CLM
This is probably my favorite of the Ginnie books, and I always think about it when making bread (which used to be a more frequent occurrence).
Yasmin Bixler
I loved this book when I was growing up and I miss it even if it is a children's book!
Kara
Obsessed with this book!
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sravya
Sravya marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Sparrow
Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Karasu
Karasu marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kacie
Kacie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jeannie Mccarver
Jeannie Mccarver marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
James Kirkpatrick
James Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Lisa Dinapoli
Lisa Dinapoli marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A prolific writer of over eighty books, Catherine Woolley published so many children's books that her publisher recommended using a pen name for some of her works. Ms. Woolley's Ginnie Fellows series was and continues to be a reader favorite across generations.

Pen name: Jane Thayer.
More about Catherine Woolley...
A Room for Cathy Ginnie's Baby-Sitting Business Ginnie and Geneva Ginnie and the Mystery Doll Ginnie And The New Girl