Start by marking “Practical C Programming” as Want to Read:
Practical C Programming

Practical C Programming

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  8 reviews
There are lots of introductory C books, but this is the first one that has the no-nonsense, practical approach that has made Nutshell Handbooks(R) famous.

C programming is more than just getting the syntax right. Style and debugging also play a tremendous part in creating programs that run well and are easy to maintain. This book teaches you not only the mechanics of progra
Published May 27th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Practical C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical C Programming

Travis Johnson
I don't quite like this as much as KR's classic, but it's a great book with a good definition of how pointers work and how to use them, along with the pitfalls and problems you should avoid.
Dean Jones
Read this book before the K&R book on C. This book really taught me C.
Stefan Kanev
This is a beginner C book and unfortunately, not a very good one. It was written in 1997 and it does not age well. I learned C in high school and while I have never used it professionally, I did not learn anything from the book. The style was nice most of the time, but occasionally spoke too much about cursing and killing people, two things strangely associated with C programming. Very early the book reinforces the Waterfall approach to software development, which costs at least one star in my j ...more
Dan
I found this book (though now old) to be a good introduction to C. However, I still hate pointers, and no book will ever convince me to not hate pointers. I skipped everything after linked lists were covered, toward the end of the book. I'm sticking with Perl and Ruby, thanks.
Jason
A good practical reference for a programmer to get up to date in C syntax and structure
Mohamed T.
A decent review of the C language with a good structure and ordering of topics.
Shantanu
Cyprian
Steve Oualline rocks. Perhaps someday I'll learn enough to appreciate all he teaches in this book.
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Tom Lai
Tom Lai marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Narender Tyagi
Narender Tyagi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Ibrahim
Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Mihir Narshana
Mihir Narshana marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Isis Binder
Isis Binder marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Telorian
Telorian marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Jane Zhang
Jane Zhang marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Joel Argo
Joel Argo marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Wessam Khalil
Wessam Khalil marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • sed & awk
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Essential System Administration: Tools and Techniques for Linux and Unix Administration
  • Learning Perl
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Perl in a Nutshell
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Practical C++ Programming VI Improved (VIM) How Not to Program in C++: 111 Broken Programs and 3 Working Ones, or Why Does 2+2=5986? Wicked Cool Perl Scripts: Useful Perl Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems How Not To Program In C++