Practical C Programming

Practical C Programming

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  8 reviews
There are lots of introductory C books, but this is the first one that has the no-nonsense, practical approach that has made Nutshell Handbooks(R) famous.

C programming is more than just getting the syntax right. Style and debugging also play a tremendous part in creating programs that run well and are easy to maintain. This book teaches you not only the mechanics of progra...more
Published May 27th 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Practical C Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical C Programming

Travis Johnson
I don't quite like this as much as KR's classic, but it's a great book with a good definition of how pointers work and how to use them, along with the pitfalls and problems you should avoid.
Dean Jones
Read this book before the K&R book on C. This book really taught me C.
Stefan Kanev
This is a beginner C book and unfortunately, not a very good one. It was written in 1997 and it does not age well. I learned C in high school and while I have never used it professionally, I did not learn anything from the book. The style was nice most of the time, but occasionally spoke too much about cursing and killing people, two things strangely associated with C programming. Very early the book reinforces the Waterfall approach to software development, which costs at least one star in my j...more
Dan
I found this book (though now old) to be a good introduction to C. However, I still hate pointers, and no book will ever convince me to not hate pointers. I skipped everything after linked lists were covered, toward the end of the book. I'm sticking with Perl and Ruby, thanks.
Jason
A good practical reference for a programmer to get up to date in C syntax and structure
Mohamed T.
A decent review of the C language with a good structure and ordering of topics.
Shantanu
Cyprian
Steve Oualline rocks. Perhaps someday I'll learn enough to appreciate all he teaches in this book.
Vinay Punjabi
Vinay Punjabi marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Milad Rastian
Milad Rastian marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Die
Die added it
Sep 05, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Hui Pin
Hui Pin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Paul Smith
Paul Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Rodney Holmes
Rodney Holmes marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
David Baker
David Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Adam Chomicki
Adam Chomicki marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Fedor Sumkin
Fedor Sumkin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Seth
Seth added it
Jul 04, 2014

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Practical C++ Programming Vi iMproved (VIM) How Not to Program in C++: 111 Broken Programs and 3 Working Ones, or Why Does 2+2=5986? Wicked Cool Perl Scripts: Useful Perl Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems How Not To Program In C++