Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh

Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter #4)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  12 reviews
While she has never felt the need to change her figure, Mrs Pargeter is happy enough to accompany her friend Kim to a health farm. Until, in the night, she sees a body being wheeled out. What Mrs Pargeter doesn't realise is that this suspicious death will set her on a trail of detection which will bring her into direct conflict with her late husband's business associates.
Published December 12th 2011 by Severn Select (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh

Carol Neman
Oct 15, 2010 Carol Neman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: found it just browsing the stacks
The Pargeter series by Simon Brett has thoroughly entertained me. It's too bad there is only five in the series, whereas his other series has many more. Sorry, Simon, I don't like the other one as much as I like Mrs. Pargeter.

The devotion with which Mrs. Pargeter takes care of her dead husband's old 'friends', and with which he has taken care of her (in the form of an old address book which she uses to contact people who can supply services she needs) is touching. It reminded me of the crooks-wi
Margaret
It took me several chapters to warm up to Mrs. Parteger. It bothered me that an intelligent woman like Mrs. Parteger chose to be an ostrich with her head in the sand regarding her late husband's business which involved associates with names like Stan the Stapler, Jack the Knife & Ankle-Deep Arkwright. I also had some doubts about the book when I got to Chapter 2 which was entirely devoted to Mrs. Parteger's reasons for not liking cottage cheese ("Probably more than any of these what put Mrs ...more
Minervaking
This was a mystery that made fun of health spas and dieting fads. The main character is Mrs. Pargeter, a middle-aged woman who is overweight, but is comfortable with herself. She accompanies her younger neighbor to a health spa and discovers a murder as well as a mystery involving some old business associates of her husband's. It is a light and enjoyable read. I look forward to reading about Mrs. Pargeter in another adventure.
Cindy
This was few books into a series and the references to other books left me feeling out of the loop. I also felt I didn't know Mrs. Pargeter very well. I will start with book one and see where that takes me.
Kate
"When pleasingly plump Mrs. Pargeter accompanies her fitness-obsessed friend to exclusive Brotherton Hall Spa, her regime is a feast of rich foods and hours of relaxation. But when she discovers a woman's dead body being wheeled from the mudbaths, Mrs. Pargeter is off on a less-than-relaxing investigation that pits her against her late husband's 'business associates' -- some of whom could be guilty of murder."
~~back cover

A bit more far-fetched, a bit more convoluted than the previous books in th
annie
this book is hysterical. if anyone wants to read something that will make a rainy afternoon fly by, particularly if you think the term 'jog bra' is entertaining and are wary of mud baths, this is the one. my goodness.
Joyce
Borrowed from library. Adult mystery.
Clean, pleasant reading, murder mystery.
Kim
Light mystery, entertaining read.
Katharine Holden
Formulaic, predictable, and dull.
NC
fun light mystery fun series.
Rachel
My favorite so far.
Debbie Gregg
Debbie Gregg marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Barb Hanson
Barb Hanson marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
John
John added it
Oct 19, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • Married to the Mop (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Appeals the Verdict
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)