Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh

Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter #4)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
While she has never felt the need to change her figure, Mrs Pargeter is happy enough to accompany her friend Kim to a health farm. Until, in the night, she sees a body being wheeled out. What Mrs Pargeter doesn't realise is that this suspicious death will set her on a trail of detection which will bring her into direct conflict with her late husband's business associates.
Published December 12th 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh

Richard
Sep 13, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-15
I'm really enjoying this series - this is the fourth that I've read so far this year. The mysteries can be a bit thin (certainly this one is) but as with any good series, the real pleasures come from revisiting the characters.

And these characters are quite colorful, Brett peppers his plots with droll asides and a welcome bohemian bonhomie, and he keeps business moving briskly along in these short novels. It makes me a little sad that I'm more than halfway through the series... fortunately, he h
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Really, only a star and a half because I found myself skimming the last 30 pages.

Pro: No foul language, graphic violence, or sex. Makes fun of the diet and exercise industry which is always good, with a passing swipe at tabloid journalism.

Con: Weak plot (plot? What's that?), cardboard characters, dull and superficial "reasoning" (HA! "reasoning" she said!) for Mrs Fletcher...oh excuse me, Mrs Pargeter!--to get snooping. And eating; apparently she can't even make a phonecall without someone pro
John Lee
Mar 18, 2015 John Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really used to enjoy Simon Brett's books and I think that I have read most of the Charles Paris and The Fethering series. I thought that, perhaps not suprisingly, the latter books of both sets were starting to show signs of age.

I have certainly enjoyed some of this series before but as it must be over 20 years ago, I cant remember if I have read this one before or not.
It doesnt really matter. Although it is a who-done-it, the enjoyment is in reading the story itself, rather than finding the cu
Kimberly Ann
This series is not the most suspenseful nor literary in the genre, but a nice cozy (Arrrrg, I can't believe I said that), that tends to light entertainment.

In this book Mrs. Pargeter and a friend go to a "Spa" (Fat Farm) run by one of her late husbands "co-workers", for a full treatment. Mrs. Pargeter is "allergic" to spa food so instead the gourmet chef makes sure her treatment includes gourmet dinners, desserts & wines. One night while surreptitiously going back to her room, she comes acro
Carol Neman
Oct 15, 2010 Carol Neman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: found it just browsing the stacks
The Pargeter series by Simon Brett has thoroughly entertained me. It's too bad there is only five in the series, whereas his other series has many more. Sorry, Simon, I don't like the other one as much as I like Mrs. Pargeter.

The devotion with which Mrs. Pargeter takes care of her dead husband's old 'friends', and with which he has taken care of her (in the form of an old address book which she uses to contact people who can supply services she needs) is touching. It reminded me of the crooks-wi
Margaret
It took me several chapters to warm up to Mrs. Parteger. It bothered me that an intelligent woman like Mrs. Parteger chose to be an ostrich with her head in the sand regarding her late husband's business which involved associates with names like Stan the Stapler, Jack the Knife & Ankle-Deep Arkwright. I also had some doubts about the book when I got to Chapter 2 which was entirely devoted to Mrs. Parteger's reasons for not liking cottage cheese ("Probably more than any of these what put Mrs ...more
Minervaking
Jan 27, 2014 Minervaking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mystery that made fun of health spas and dieting fads. The main character is Mrs. Pargeter, a middle-aged woman who is overweight, but is comfortable with herself. She accompanies her younger neighbor to a health spa and discovers a murder as well as a mystery involving some old business associates of her husband's. It is a light and enjoyable read. I look forward to reading about Mrs. Pargeter in another adventure.
Cindy
Mar 10, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simon-brett
This was few books into a series and the references to other books left me feeling out of the loop. I also felt I didn't know Mrs. Pargeter very well. I will start with book one and see where that takes me.
Amy
Aug 25, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Another simple read with old friends.
Kate
"When pleasingly plump Mrs. Pargeter accompanies her fitness-obsessed friend to exclusive Brotherton Hall Spa, her regime is a feast of rich foods and hours of relaxation. But when she discovers a woman's dead body being wheeled from the mudbaths, Mrs. Pargeter is off on a less-than-relaxing investigation that pits her against her late husband's 'business associates' -- some of whom could be guilty of murder."
~~back cover

A bit more far-fetched, a bit more convoluted than the previous books in th
Jay
Mar 07, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a mystery with a couple of murders this book is very funny and light. I enjoyed it very much.
annie
Feb 27, 2009 annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is hysterical. if anyone wants to read something that will make a rainy afternoon fly by, particularly if you think the term 'jog bra' is entertaining and are wary of mud baths, this is the one. my goodness.
Joyce
Sep 03, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Borrowed from library. Adult mystery.
Clean, pleasant reading, murder mystery.
Kim
Mar 24, 2012 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Light mystery, entertaining read.
Katharine Holden
Mar 17, 2012 Katharine Holden rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Formulaic, predictable, and dull.
Nancy
Sep 14, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
fun light mystery fun series.
Rachel
May 11, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far.
Bettie☯
Shari O'flanagan
Shari O'flanagan is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jo Kitchener
Jo Kitchener rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
TinaLovesReading
TinaLovesReading marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Deborah Matthews
Deborah Matthews marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Jacara Chas
Jacara Chas rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Reveals Her Art (Mrs. Jeffries, #12)
  • Christmas Wedding (Magnolia Mysteries, #7)
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing PIeces Mystery #3)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Mrs Pargeter (7 books)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Mrs, Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)